*** Official Fin Thread ***

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
I didn't dig the christenson twins overly much either. I think the Captain Fin twins all have kind of a funky foil. Thick tips, bleh.

@need 4 speed I like less fin in my 7-2 AG channel bottom twin. Whether it's the length or the channels or both, I dunno. It feels best with something like the Rasta's (T1) which are smaller than what I would usually run in my shorter twin fins.

sushipop

Michael Peterson status
Feb 7, 2008
The Dagobah System
@sushipop forever curious about fins,cant, and toe of twins. I run 4° cant on my boards
How long is your midlength? Maybe longer board more rail likes a little less fin
Ahh, good point—it’s 6’6” so not terribly long by mid length standards. Very little toe on them - 1/16”. @griffinsurfboard ’s previous comments about minimal toe and 10’ cant creating a unique lift effect made me wonder if that would work on this board.
@trifish I was looking at the Album Fascination twins or the asym twin set which I think uses a Gemini on the heel side. Also considering leaving the CC on the toe side and swapping the heel side for something else. Also to note, is the heel
side fin is 1” fore of the toe side.

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
So I was curious myself on the numbers and ping'd Futures and got a response quick. They said in their lineup the AMT has the most (8.5) and second would be the Son of Cobra Twin (7.5).
what were are all of the others set at?

i don’t like the Christensen twin set for ~7” placed twins under my height. All drive no shed.

i think the issue was the template for your plasmid.

I like the Elmore and NPJ chippa sets from captain. The latter has “more” cant than others in my quiver aside from the AMT set.

sushipop

Michael Peterson status
Feb 7, 2008
The Dagobah System
i don’t like the Christensen twin set for ~7” placed twins under my height. All drive no shed.

i think the issue was the template for your plasmid.
The trailing edge of the CCs on mine end up at 9.25” from the swallow tip on the toe side and 9.5” from the tail on the heel side. So more forward placement than what Matt does on the shorter Plasmics. Makes me lean toward going with a more raked fin (ie, fascination), but open to additional input if I’m off course with that thinking.

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
The trailing edge of the CCs on mine end up at 9.25” from the swallow tip on the toe side and 9.5” from the tail on the heel side. So more forward placement than what Matt does on the shorter Plasmics. Makes me lean toward going with a more raked fin (ie, fascination), but open to additional input if I’m off course with that thinking.
You should go full asym: keel on toe side, upright on heel!

• Love
Reactions: sushipop and sdsrfr
Feb 13, 2022
San Diego
I check ebay on the regular for fin deals. A lot of futures' new twins and thruster fins are on ebay for pretty cheap right now. I just received the BMTs, and ordered some P8s and Cobra Twins. $70 a set for brand new fins shipped to my doorstep is a pretty good deal.

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
I’m surprised they are that far fwd, even at that longer length.

Reactions: sdsrfr

sushipop

Michael Peterson status
Feb 7, 2008
The Dagobah System
I’m surprised they are that far fwd, even at that longer length.
#metoo considering how close to the tail they are on the shorter ones.
Im thinking wider base or more rake or maybe a little of both. Eye balling either the Piggyback or the Fascination twins. ‘Du from Album replied back and said he likes the Gemini Asym set or the Shapers Album set. Anyone want to swap fins for a bit and try my CC twins?