*** Official Fin Thread ***

hotCheetos

OTF status
Mar 28, 2020
How terrible are these eBay Pacific vibration fins on eBay. Just want a cheap Merrick template in medium

JTS

Legend (inyourownmind)
Sep 22, 2004
I like quads, they work well for me with the waves I ride and how I like to surf. I'm over 6o now so I am more about driving, creating speed than vertical surfing

The one thing I don't like is figuring out the best fin sets for each board- once I get it figured out I usually leave them alone. I've got a bigger quad fish I'm working through right now, I've got many sets of fins so I'm playing with different combos
I think I remember reading someone described that with quads " the front fins are what initiates/creates the turn , the back set provides the control or drive"
interested in hearing what people like and don't like , any pearls of wisdom, etc
thanks
Jim

JTS

Legend (inyourownmind)
Sep 22, 2004
20 dub, rear fins are where I’m looking specifically. If I recall correctly, you like big rears topic derail in 3,2,1
I’m going to use a larger rear 4.5 d x 4.125 b, a bit bigger than a medium performer to create a bit more drive

retodd

Duke status
Feb 23, 2009
I have found that

1, to similar front and read templates provide the best overall feel . For example on a wide tail quad fish m7 front and either m3 or m2 rears ( this is with the similar toe / cant placement)

2, upright fronts and more rake / swept back rears . K2.1 front or the older mayhem with m2 rears.

In futures this is harder to do, you will need the old black and yellow mayhem rears , am2 techfax rears , and pyzel , and EA.
Fronts am2 , wct, stretch

Reactions: oeste858 and JTS

20W-50 and blood

Duke status
Feb 4, 2004
SOCAL
Visit site
20 dub, rear fins are where I’m looking specifically. If I recall correctly, you like big rears topic derail in 3,2,1
I’m going to use a larger rear 4.5 d x 4.125 b, a bit bigger than a medium performer to create a bit more drive
basically use custom or custom rigged rears in all my boads. basically a medium sied front fin.

Reactions: JTS

retodd

Duke status
Feb 23, 2009
Rears are bigger by a substantial number

The black and yellow are the fcs g1000 template
The blue and black are smaller than the gx

Reactions: sdsrfr

Waterlogged05

Michael Peterson status
May 14, 2005
I tried that Gx as a rear and it lost a lot of drive on RNF
With am2 up front.

Less drive. I am thinking I don't wanna go twin trailer despite the recommendations
The larger Side fins will still leave me wanting more fin in back since I grew up on thrusters?

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
I like quads, they work well for me with the waves I ride and how I like to surf. I'm over 6o now so I am more about driving, creating speed than vertical surfing

The one thing I don't like is figuring out the best fin sets for each board- once I get it figured out I usually leave them alone. I've got a bigger quad fish I'm working through right now, I've got many sets of fins so I'm playing with different combos
I think I remember reading someone described that with quads " the front fins are what initiates/creates the turn , the back set provides the control or drive"
interested in hearing what people like and don't like , any pearls of wisdom, etc
thanks
Jim
1. Listen to retodd for buying used fins
2. Don't buy new FCS fins imho. Not worth it vs Greg Griffin G-10
3. Center fins are slower than 70/30 are slower than 80/20 as rears

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
I have a mismatch set. mine, as quad, do not make me go wow.

I use them in wide tail quads but wanted them to work in my roundtail gx. I like tim’s, as quad, in that board much better.

Tomay

OTF status
Feb 2, 2010
So I'm about to pick up a MR Super Twin 2 (5'8 x 19.5 x 2 3/8 - 27.3 Lt) in FCS 2. Its a DD style Twinny (not a groveller). Looking at the fins available to me theres MR's in Neo Glass or Power Twins (+Stabiliser) in PG. I would definetly have preferred to go the MR's in an MR board but am hesitant with the Neo Glass material compared to Performance Glass. I don't really have much experience with either. Could also look at finding something else 2nd hand if neither option is good. Anyone able to help?

Reactions: retodd