*** Official Fin Thread ***

MACSAN

Nep status
Sep 5, 2009
Anyone know if Channel Islands FRP fins is the same material as Futures fins Thermotech materia?

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
Got some surf the past few days with some FCS board conditions twice to start using my Chandlers. Finally unfisted myself and ordered after retodd comment in this or another fin thread and got them during the obligatory Florida post New Year cold snap/flat spell which miraculously lasted only a week.

retodd (and Greg Griffin) didn't lie. Neither did the dude in El Salvador who provided a good testimonial about fins as planing surface. He said they were most valuable in grovel surf and was adamant about how well they went, and specifically said overnight his foam climbability improved markedly. Since there is no shortage of grovel surf and a good supply of sections to float here, that changed my outlook completely.

Put them in beat to hell local grovel shape quad for a kind of tricky to position, open-faced but some push (for Florida) session. Kind of like, yeah, you could ride alt/shortboard, especially in trunks feeling sharp, but second surf of the day, fullsuit, a touch tired, chopbump kind of getting in the way of entry on some but grovel board rolled in over the top where shortboard would hang up, lots and lots of cutback sections...

They went great. Outstanding hold, great drive, pushing against them on rail was dreamy, and they did float/foam climb noticeably better as recommended.

Stocked and strongly recommend ordering fins from Greg if you have FCS boards. I tightened them pretty hard when putting them in, once in fusions, once in FCS2 with set screws, no issues with loosening or losing.

bigglesworth

Legend (inyourownmind)
Mar 8, 2017
Couple of ways to do this.

Put in a search on ebay and save it, so if the item ever comes up you will get an email. Got some hard to find fins this way, but it’s a patience game

Post a WTB in the classifieds here

Certain shapers have access to the “secret shelf” at futures, where out of production fins still exist. Ask one of these shapers.
Good luck with the hunt

Reactions: Aardwolf