*** Official Fin Thread ***

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
Question: A friend of mine shaped boards for a while. Gave it a serious go for a short time but ultimately did not have the wherewithal or the trustfund to toil away until it possibly went somewhere. He's made me some dogs and he's made me some boards that worked really well. He still works in the industry. He came up on a pack of blem CI G Skates that needed finishing. He bought them for next to nothing and used them as a backdrop for his wedding and gave them to the groomsmen afterward. I've ridden it once and it stays at my moms house for when we come to visit.

Since he finished it, he didn't write dims on it, opted for a squash rather than swallow tail, and from memory I'm guessing it's about 5'8-5'10". I rode it exactly once on a very small day. He let me borrow some TP Twins to try in it. I'm typically not a twinny guy, or a gimmicky board guy, but it seemed to go ok enough that I'm curious to see how it goes when we visit next month.

CI recommends the AMTs or their new CI x Gudang 2+trailer.
Buddy let me borrow TP twins.

Sooo. Anyone got a line on something else they think might work? Thought I'd pick the ERbb brain before buying anything.

TL/DR: I friend game a G Skate-ish blem. Wide nose, narrow tail with a hip. Need recommendations for finning. He let me borrow a set of TP twins and they seemed ok. I haven't experimented with the trailer. Any thoughts?
AMTs with trailer.

If there’s a lot of vee in the tail the gudangs might be better.

AMTs have extra cant (futures) so…

1. the trailer helps a lot if you don’t have deep double concaves or bonzer type bottom.

2. Vee will accentuate the cant. Maybe too much.

Don’t know the cant on the Gs

Last edited:
Reactions: Bob Dobbalina

jwd

Nov 24, 2004
Does anyone have any suggestions on an upright FCS 2 quad rear set for a firewire sweet potato/grovellor? I have a limited collection of FCS2 fins - Fanning thruster and Performer thruster and Reactor thruster. Looking for a set of upright quad rears to pair with one of the fronts of these thruster sets. Thanks!

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California
Does anyone have any suggestions on an upright FCS 2 quad rear set for a firewire sweet potato/grovellor? I have a limited collection of FCS2 fins - Fanning thruster and Performer thruster and Reactor thruster. Looking for a set of upright quad rears to pair with one of the fronts of these thruster sets. Thanks!
I really like the combo of Fanning fronts and upright rears for the quads that I've ridden.

Reactor quad rears will fit the bill if you don't mind the 80/20 foil.

Last edited:
Reactions: oeste858 and Aruka

kool-aid

Michael Peterson status
Aug 28, 2003
San Francisco
AM2, Fanning, and FT FCS 2 fins are all available in fiberglass now. I'm stoked.

Anyone tried or put hands on these?

Reactions: motosurf

MACSAN

Nep status
Sep 5, 2009
Any "medium" size surfers (160 pounds) using the futures f8 on small wave grovellers? Thoughts?

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
Any "medium" size surfers (160 pounds) using the futures f8 on small wave grovellers? Thoughts?
I have used the f8 blackdicks for small surf and liked them a lot. I’m not medium sized though. I’m 195 pounds. Was closer to 210 last time I used those fins.

Reactions: oeste858
Mar 10, 2022
Can anyone give me a fin suggestion. Been riding a new shortboard and my go to fin is JJF med. They felt great on this board frontside but backside I was sliding out and just didn't feel locked in. I put in EA techflex and its everything I want backside but now frontside they fell too tight. Anything I can try that might be good in between? I'm 155-160 lbs. would JJF large solve my problem or another rake template that don't lock in as much as EA's

sushipop

Miki Dora status
Feb 7, 2008
The Dagobah System
Couple things @seabass_808 :
1) I’ve often wondered why more people don’t more often use different fins toe side than heel side. There’s asym tails on boards, so why not use asym fins? so maybe use the JJFs on your toe side and EAs on your heels?
2) or just quit surfing. The stress selecting fins can cause just isn’t worth it, so quit and pick something less stressful. Like e-foiling.

Last edited:
Mar 10, 2022
ordering an e foil right now. Will report back how it goes. There are a lot of e foil options tho. What to choose…

There’s no stress. I ride whatever I choose just fine just trying to dial it in better.

paunch23

Michael Peterson status
Jun 27, 2011
Rep. of Panama, La Barqueta, David, Chiriquí
Hi guys
I need some fin recommendations, for a Tokoro. Project model. I believe this was the first iteration of that board. Is more of a smaller wave shortboard. very flat rocker, very noticeable single to double concaves and round tail.

Attachments

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
Hi guys
I need some fin recommendations, for a Tokoro. Project model. I believe this was the first iteration of that board. Is more of a smaller wave shortboard. very flat rocker, very noticeable single to double concaves and round tail.
Recommend running your favorite future set or those fins pictured and reporting back, then fetch recs for what you want to adjust.

Reactions: jkb and Aruka