*** Official Fin Thread ***

tedshred5

Michael Peterson status
Aug 5, 2015
wanting to pick up a Lightspeed RNF96 as a backup to my PU w/ Futures, but all the OTR options are FCS2. I run the Rastas or the Elmores in my PU. Don't have any FCS2 in the fin quiver, so I'll have to grab a new set if so. Not too familiar with the FCS2 twin/trailer sets - seems like Futures has more options in that arena - but lookin at the MR or Aipa twin/trailer sets. what say the erbb, MR, Aipa... or both? :devilish:
1654016504200.png
1654016527663.png

tedshred5

Michael Peterson status
Aug 5, 2015
FCS site says MRs are made of Performance Core and Aipas made of Performance Glass. On their materials chart PG is stiffer than PC, I tend to like stiff fins but the MRs are bigger fins, wonder if that would make up for the difference. :socrazy:

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
FCS site says MRs are made of Performance Core and Aipas made of Performance Glass. On their materials chart PG is stiffer than PC, I tend to like stiff fins but the MRs are bigger fins, wonder if that would make up for the difference. :socrazy:
Check out True Ames twin fiberglass set nice MR template done in glass plus I would not trust w/o grub screw twin set in fcs II :shaka:

Last edited:
Reactions: tedshred5

trifish

Billy Hamilton status
Sep 23, 2009
Shred City
What are futures equivalent to fcs modern keels?
Not sure there is an equivalent. Christenson's outline is kinda similar but has bigger bases while having less height. One thing about the Christenson's is they move the fins up in the box a little (probably like 3/4") and toe them in some to get away with not having the leading fin edge cover the grub screws.

FCS will list their fin data on a link at the bottom of their website. Not sure why they make it so hard to find though. https://www.surffcs.com/pages/fcs-fin-data

Reactions: Havoc

Michael Peterson status
Jul 29, 2015
Apologies for the double post...

Apparently, they float. Manufactured in South Africa,

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego

oh boy
The TWAD (Twin-Quad) is a fin set-up by Captain Fin Co. designed by Dane Reynolds and Channel Islands mastermind Britt Merrick specifically for the new Channel Islands/Former TWAD model surfboard. Dane requested a parallel railed, curvy, rockered twin where the board and fin set up have twin-fin sensibilities with trailing fins that are smaller and placed more closely to the twins than normal quads. This creates a board that feels uniquely loose, but solid.

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA

oh boy
So they reversed a twinzer?

EDIT: this really should've been the Mason signature "sk8 wheel" set! LOL

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: MathDebater

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
Kind of like a smaller NPJ quartet fin set. Not sure how the fin placement would compare.

Don't know how I feel about the amount of incut on those rear fins.

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
So they reversed a twinzer?
Sounds very similar to my 5150 riding now with fins unlimited 2 win twin set fronts and fins unlimited S#1 quad rears in back moved up 1" from normal quad set up "stretch" with fronts being same as quad. I asked for twin and Dylan over at steetch steered me towards this after hearing great feedback from team riders Picon and Graves. I really like the feel has speed of twin with drive of a quad kinda hard to explain.

Reactions: Waterlogged05

Waterlogged05

Michael Peterson status
May 14, 2005
Sounds very similar to my 5150 riding now with fins unlimited 2 win twin set fronts and fins unlimited S#1 quad rears in back moved up 1" from normal quad set up "stretch" with fronts being same as quad. I asked for twin and Dylan over at steetch steered me towards this after hearing great feedback from team riders Picon and Graves. I really like the feel has speed of twin with drive of a quad kinda hard to explain.
on a frontside cutback, does it have the grip and speed of a quad? I loved face carves on quads, just had issues pivoting without the third fin, and don't like the breakin totally free feeling of a twin unless im fully dialed?

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
on a frontside cutback, does it have the grip and speed of a quad? I loved face carves on quads, just had issues pivoting without the third fin, and don't like the breakin totally free feeling of a twin unless im fully dialed?
I would say yes but so many factors in quad set up but with my set up has twin feel with out that surprise slip feel more drive.

Reactions: Waterlogged05