***Official El Niño 2023/24 hype thread***

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
I was looking for a previous -Official El Nino- thread, and someone in it was talking about the risk of the Tulare Lake flooding due to possible record rains, and say something snarky like "....and to think it took the 2022/2023 La Nina event to do it."

I wonder if June gloom is stronger during El Ninos?
Anecdotally speaking, seemed to get here earlier (May) for us.

Reactions: bluengreen and gbg

gbg

Miki Dora status
Jan 22, 2006
San Diego county had Graypril this year. May Gray his bad. I'm glad I missed most of it. I was in Hawaii the first 2 weeks and Delaware these last two. Weather has kinda sucked here too.

• Sad
Reactions: sdsrfr and Mr Doof

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
What are long range July 4 forecasts for Oceanside? Time again for us to pester our friends there and take advantage of their pool and maybe get a fog free 4th.

SeaFoamGreen

Gerry Lopez status
Apr 10, 2009
NorOR
I hope it's a good one, I could use the break after 3 winters of La Niña up here.
It certainly can be warmer, but typically still pretty wet and stormy which translates to higher snow levels and lower quality snow. Nothing more depressing around here than storm surf for weeks and rain and super wet snow in the mtns IMO. 98 was really stormy and not to warm, but 2015 was pretty dry and mild which ended up being drought like conditions that summer. Could go either way or anyway these days though. Already planning a GTFO Jan or Feb Baja mish.

Reactions: ShiverMeTimbers

ShiverMeTimbers

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Mar 21, 2006
Gig Harbor
www.peistcharters.com
I was in Portland/Vancouver for fall of '97 and it rained quite a bit that October and early November, then delivered a 107' yacht down to San Diego and spent the rest of that El Niño winter in San Diego surfing my balls off. My girlfriend and I broke up, she started Blogger with two friends, and then later sold it to Google for a mint. I'd say it was a fair trade. :ROFLMAO:

In 2015 I was in Hood River, and yeah it was a dry year but I had a newborn so I was sleep deprived and everything was a blur.
This winter I'm going to Mtb a bunch and hopefully there is enough to ski the weekends, but if not then I'll be able to get more projects completed around the house, and maybe surf a bit more. Also buy a wingfoil setup since I have a good spot 3 minutes from my house.

Last edited:
Jul 17, 2010
Mark from Stormsurf posts a weekly video on YouTube each Sunday evening. They are about one hour long. The first 15 minutes is an analysis of the Pacific (north and south) for surf-producing storms. The last 45 minutes is a thorough discussion of ENSO. He shows a bunch of current charts/data and analyzes the stuff in an easy-to-follow manner. I'm not affiliated with Stormsurf ... just a fan for over 20 years.

gbg

Miki Dora status
Jan 22, 2006
What are long range July 4 forecasts for Oceanside? Time again for us to pester our friends there and take advantage of their pool and maybe get a fog free 4th.
I will be around if you want to surf DMJ.

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
I wonder if June gloom is stronger during El Ninos?
Temperature inversion is the cause. Technically, once the water warms up the gray goes away.

El Niño is supposed to bring warm(er) water.

that said, this is a new El Niño and so while perhaps warmer water by fall it doesn’t mean it’s warm enough to kill the gray in the spring.

Reactions: Aruka