*** Official Corona Virus Thread ***

crustBrother

Kelly Slater status
Apr 23, 2001
weird = remarkable?

In England when the sh!t gets real the culture is to keep your sh!t together.

America doesn't sing that song.
Its because we have better teeth.

Losing one's sh!t frequently involves a lot of ranting and raving. The Brits are understandably self conscious about anything that draws attention to all those rotten crooked fangs. Ranting and/or raving often leads to exposing one's dental status. Thus the whole "keep a stiff upper lip" thing they got going on over there.

I, on the other hand, am pretty much looking for an excuse to show off my chompers. Going bat-sh!t crazy is as good an excuse as any, right?

:applause2:

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
As a formerly slightly crazy person who has become significantly more crazy over the last 6 months I'm curious why you think its weird that our sanity has worsened. Were you expecting folks like us to get more sane when deprived of our daily interactions with our more normative friends and coworkers? If so, you might be crazy too! ;)
Or, as Dave Mustaine so eloquently put it, "If I know I'm going crazy, I must not be insane".

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
Thank you.

I recommend that to people who want to get better at identifying their own faulty automatic thinking.

I'm pretty good at that too.
Speaking of framing, how'd you decide that top down control of the pandemic thing would be better than local decision-making? Why, in your opinion, was our tradition of subsidiarity the wrong call in this case?

Bohter

Michael Peterson status
Mar 7, 2006
“And how we burned in the camps later, thinking: What would things have been like if every security operative, when he went out at night to make an arrest, had been uncertain whether he would return alive and had to say good-bye to his family? Or if, during periods of mass arrests, as for example in Leningrad, when they arrested a quarter of the entire city, people had not simply sat there in their lairs, paling with terror at every bang of the downstairs door and at every step on the staircase, but had understood they had nothing left to lose and had boldly set up in the downstairs hall an ambush of half a dozen people with axes, hammers, pokers, or whatever else was at hand? After all, you knew ahead of time that those bluecaps were out at night for no good purpose. And you could be sure ahead of time that you’d be cracking the skull of a cutthroat.”

― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn, The Gulag Archipelago 1918–1956

And...the Statistics....reveal the lies...

goingoutside

Legend (inyourownmind)
Mar 7, 2016
"Humans are by nature narrow framers."

Especially conspiracy nut jobs who confirm their biases with YouTube videos.
Is the use of your psyco-babble terms the only way that you can express yourself?

Unfortunately you have bought into a totally bogus system, but it's all you got, and you gotta run with it.

Seems you have built an elaborate structure using just cards.

And have forgotten about the wind, which is certainly, going to blow.

....I am goingoutside now....

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
Is the use of your psyco-babble terms the only way that you can express yourself?

Unfortunately you have bought into a totally bogus system, but it's all you got, and you gotta run with it.

Seems you have built an elaborate structure using just cards.

And have forgotten about the wind, which is certainly, going to blow.

....I am goingoutside now....
One wonders if you understand the concepts you are chiding.

Judging by your response, one thinks, No.

Further reading:

Sometimes one forgets this place is full of Philistines and Luddites.

Bohter

Michael Peterson status
Mar 7, 2006
What about this lady?
Not really on topic....but related in a loose context....
Manufactured Polarization much?

crustBrother

Kelly Slater status
Apr 23, 2001
Sometimes one forgets this place is full of Philistines and Luddites.
Although I can't really go full Luddite myself, I can definitely sympathize with those folks. When I imagine my ideal lifestyle down on Península de Nicoya, I don't even have electricity in my hut - although I hope the not-too-distant dentist will have it in his office.

Last edited:

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
I''ve got a lot on said peninsula I'll sells ya for a million bucks? 2800 sq mtrs

stringcheese

Miki Dora status
Jun 21, 2017
I'll take that bet.

Have you researched some of trump's bad decisions he's made about the Covid?

He didn't have the skill set to respond to the pandemic effectively.
Who said anything about Trump? I said when the election is over. Neither side is capable of handling care of your decorative cactus while you vacation.
My bet is that after the election, whatever the result, the motivation to pretend that the other side is out to kill you to line their pockets becomes drastically, be it temporarily, lowered. In December, it will be perfectly fine to say "if you're worried about Covid, these are the steps you can take to mitigate your risk of exposure" without drawing an asinine response about "the greater good". This is my opinion of the state of the democratic party, that in large part they are highly motivated to make as big an issue as possible about the coronavirus and the current administration's handling of it. That after the election, particularly if Biden wins, that will not be their concern. The morning headlines on CNN etc will go from "new covid cases shooting through the roof, up 100% in one day in montana!" To "what Kim Kardashian did that you won't believe!" Without any actual change in the handling of the situation.

It's the cycle. Blame current administration for everything, present no better ideas, get the job, do pretty much the same shlt, claim you didn't have the time or cooperation necessary to make effective change, repeat. Blue, red, blue, red...

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
Who said anything about Trump? I said when the election is over. Neither side is capable of handling care of your decorative cactus while you vacation.
My bet is that after the election, whatever the result, the motivation to pretend that the other side is out to kill you to line their pockets becomes drastically, be it temporarily, lowered. In December, it will be perfectly fine to say "if you're worried about Covid, these are the steps you can take to mitigate your risk of exposure" without drawing an asinine response about "the greater good". This is my opinion of the state of the democratic party, that in large part they are highly motivated to make as big an issue as possible about the coronavirus and the current administration's handling of it. That after the election, particularly if Biden wins, that will not be their concern. The morning headlines on CNN etc will go from "new covid cases shooting through the roof, up 100% in one day in montana!" To "what Kim Kardashian did that you won't believe!" Without any actual change in the handling of the situation.

It's the cycle. Blame current administration for everything, present no better ideas, get the job, do pretty much the same shlt, claim you didn't have the time or cooperation necessary to make effective change, repeat. Blue, red, blue, red...
I disagree.

A concerted approach with good leadership will affect the outcome.

We got a bunch of political appointees and family members running departments that were created to respond to this problem.

We have a president who hates the federal government and spent 3 years gutting it.

Trump can't have experts work for him because he values loyally over expertise.

Rick Perry was running the Dept of Energy.

That is insane.

The experts waiting out the nightmare that is trump will come back if he leaves.

These experts on not politicians. They are people who understand their jobs.

What a sh!t show he has left for biden.

Meanwhile, Mitch will be trying to make sure he fails.

sussle

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Oct 11, 2009
I disagree.

A concerted approach with good leadership will affect the outcome.

We got a bunch of political appointees and family members running departments that were created to respond to this problem.

We have a president who hates the federal government and spent 3 years gutting it.

Trump can't have experts work for him because he values loyally over expertise.

Rick Perry was running the Dept of Energy.

That is insane.

The experts waiting out the nightmare that is trump will come back if he leaves.

These experts on not politicians. They are people who understand their jobs.

What a sh!t show he has left for biden.

Meanwhile, Mitch will be trying to make sure he fails.
this, pretty much. what we have now is governance by people who don't believe in government. see Perry, DeVos, DeJoy, Wilbur Ross et al - not to mention Kushner and other assorted parasites - people who really have no interest in making government as effective and competent as possible. i would welcome a return to putting key people into leadership positions for which they are qualified and who have an interest in the quality of the output.