*** Official Corona Virus Thread ***

Jonahbrah

Nep status
Sep 20, 2019
BMore
You should listen to that clip where Piper talks about the 10 Commandments.

Christians are not bound by Old Testament moral law.

The moral law became pointless because of Christ.
The moral law is eternal. We are not "bound" by it because it was fullfilled by Jesus, but it is the moral character of the God of the Bible. And because God is unchanging, his moral standards remain the same. The moral law will also be used to judge the world (including all Christ haters in this forum).

Love Piper.

Jonahbrah

Nep status
Sep 20, 2019
BMore
There definitely is a difference between Old Testament God and New Testament God.

God 1.0 was arbitrary and vengeful....at least to this non-bible scholar and/or practitioner.

God 2.0 was love and think of others before yourself...at least to this non-bible scholar and/or practitioner.

God 3.0 was political theory mixed with God 2.0 and spiked with God 1.0...at least to this non-bible scholar and/or practitioner.

Sorry to not address concepts/concerns of those followers/believers non-Abrahamic religions....I leave that to the Church of Normanism.
In a sinful world God is not obligated to show mercy toward any sinner. It's only arbitrary if you don't understand that sin is full fledged rebellion against a Holy God, and the average person sins thousands of times a day.

littlewave

Michael Peterson status
Nov 15, 2009
Orange County
The moral law is eternal. We are not "bound" by it because it was fullfilled by Jesus, but it is the moral character of the God of the Bible. And because God is unchanging, his moral standards remain the same. The moral law will also be used to judge the world (including all Christ haters in this forum).

Love Piper.
Did god send you to let us know what christ haters we are?

Random Guy

Duke status
Jan 16, 2002

Love Piper.
I’m not sure what is or is not moral law?
like don’t lay with another man, seems moral?
if your brother dies, marry his widow, seems moral
what out the cloven hooves unless they chew their cud ban on eating ? Also moral?
its more curiosity than anything. My brothers aren’t married anyway

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
what out the cloven hooves unless they chew their cud ban on eating ? Also moral?
You are mixing moral law of the Old Testament with cultural and theocratic law of the Old Testament.

Moral law = the Old Testament's list of rules involving morals. i.e. do not murder.

Laws against eating pork and shellfish = cultural law

Laws relating to temple practices and the stoning of adulterers = theocratic law

Christ made it so believers no longer have to follow any sort of law like the above.

If you're curious, watch the Piper vid I posted, he explains it perfectly starting @ 0:46

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
In a sinful world ......the average person sins thousands of times a day.
Man, am I slacking.

randomguy said:
Wait a second, how do you expect me to uphold god's law of marrying one of your brothers' widows if neither of them are married?

Tell them to get going, champ, while I look for a justifiable reason to dispatch at least one of them for going against God's will so I can get with the widow....say, they aren't wearing clothing made with a blend of linen and wool, are they?

PS
If this poor taste humor is a sin, looks like I have at least 20 more to go till I hit my first 1000.

Last edited:

everysurfer

Phil Edwards status
Sep 9, 2013
Santa Barbara County
You are mixing moral law of the Old Testament with cultural and theocratic law of the Old Testament.

Moral law = the Old Testament's list of rules involving morals. i.e. do not murder.

Laws against eating pork and shellfish = cultural law

Laws relating to temple practices and the stoning of adulterers = theocratic law

Christ made it so believers no longer have to follow any sort of law like the above.

If you're curious, watch the Piper vid I posted, he explains it perfectly starting @ 0:46
That only holds true for Filipino Catholics

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
Wait a second, how do you expect me to uphold god's law of marrying one of your brothers' widows if neither of them are married?

Tell them to get going, champ, while I look for a justifiable reason to dispatch at least one of them for going against God's will so I can get with the widow....say, they aren't wearing clothing made with a blend of linen and wool, are they?

PS
If this poor taste humor is a sin, looks like I have at least 20 more to go till I hit my first 1000.
Poor taste humor is only funny with adequate understanding of what is being mocked.

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
Can you give counter examples of when it's not?

Who believes in god but doesn't want to?
I was responding to how you responded to my statement in regards to Old Testament law.

You're talking about a different topic than I am.

I'm not interested in discussing the above topic, it's a yawner.

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
I thought it was Funny. Organized religion is an endless source of bemusement and bloodshed. Excuse me while i pray the rona away, in between prayers for the health and safety of all beings, some tasty waves, and a few million dollars in Q 4 billing. In whatever order is least likely to get me Tazed by Yahweh (band name?) or that **** Gozar now that I think about it. She is SO Old Testament. Get with the times already toots

also this
DB16B501-FB28-4CE3-A04B-0451F4B12C03.jpeg

Reactions: CutnSnip

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
You said, "Christ made it so believers no longer have to follow any sort of law like the above."

Jesus specifically said he didn't come to do that
He didn't come to destroy the law because by living in love the Christian is following the law without needing an itemized list of laws.

Piper explains this well in the video I posted.