*** Official Corona Virus Thread ***

CutnSnip

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2018
Probably dropping in on you, California
So, the short answer was "No"
Got it, knew it already.
Bet you can quote how many "new cases" there were today off the top of your head though.

Be afraid, be very afraid! It could happen to you too!
not sure why you come on this specifically to push your bs, but its very very tired. all i can say is i hope no one you know has to go through the things people i know have.

Reactions: Havoc

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
My sister in law tested positive. She's in SF. Went on a road trip to Colorado three weeks ago. Came back to SF with a fever and no sense of taste or smell. Quarantined herself and her boyfriend (he had no symptoms). She's fine now but she said she feels fatigued quicker now, but doesn't know if that's leftover from corona or because she's been sitting at home for two weeks and not being active (she usually bikes/walks/runs daily).

Another side effect was that she lost her appetite. Didn't care about eating unless she was super hungry, and then would eat whatever was available (didn't want to cook or prepare anything). This is really odd for her cause she LOVES cooking/baking and trying new recipes all the time. She didn't know if that was simply due to the loss of taste and smell or that corona made her apathetic toward her normal behaviors.

She said unusual, vivid dreams too.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: JDJ

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
Yeah whatever fever me and the missus had in February didnt have the taste and smell thing, but fever dreams are no joke, and exhausting and miserable to tack on to all the other misery

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
Predictions beginning to come to pass...

Pay close attention to the part about 3rd world travel - it's just another piece of the puzzle in regards to the fact the 3rd world is becoming much less stable...which of course will negatively affect us all in ways yet unknown.

The realist forsees things getting pretty heavy.

On the first world problems end of things, many popular surf destinations will be devastated and likely become a heck of a lot more dangerous.

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
Hey.
How you doing?

Still haven't died from covid, right?
Neither has a single person you've ever know, unless they were already on deaths bed?
Thought as much.

Check back with you all in a couple weeks and see how the chicken littles have managed to turn N new cases into "next week, the mass graves!"

Keep your masks on!

I am doing fine.

I have not died of CV-19 as of now. I do not expect to later either, but one never knows.

I do not personally know of anyone who has died of CV-19, but maybe my luck will change in the coming months.

As a side note, one of dear old dad's friends did die. Positive test, a few 'how are you today phone calls', and then within two weeks, a mention in the obituary. I don't expect my father to lie about such things despite his flair for the dramatic.

Am keeping my mask on in hopes of keeping myself and others safe, sense of solidarity of 'we are in this together', and because it isn't a bridge too far for me.

Reactions: rice

sussle

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Oct 11, 2009
because of course, you'd rather have public health policy set by by people with zero medical or public health experience. this is so Idaho:

Idaho lawmakers are moving to strip the authority of public health districts to close schools in emergencies or require masks for safety reasons. The legislature’s Education Working Group voted overwhelmingly in favor of the proposal to take away power from “elitist” public health officials and allow school boards to make those health-related decisions, reported Boise State Public Radio.

“Listening to experts to set policy is an elitist approach, and I’m very fearful of an elitist approach,” Thayn added. “I’m also fearful that it leads to totalitarianism, especially when you say, ‘Well, we’re doing it for the public good.’”

• Wow
Reactions: Havoc

GWS_2

Miki Dora status
Aug 3, 2019
As I start to delve deeper into the HBO on-demand movies (since nothing new is coming out) I ran into Contagion in the C's. (alphabetical) I saw it when it came out, but watching it now, it's rather prescient. Think I'll stay home today...

Reactions: jamesgang

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
Predictions beginning to come to pass...

Pay close attention to the part about 3rd world travel - it's just another piece of the puzzle in regards to the fact the 3rd world is becoming much less stable...which of course will negatively affect us all in ways yet unknown.

The realist forsees things getting pretty heavy.

On the first world problems end of things, many popular surf destinations will be devastated and likely become a heck of a lot more dangerous.
This could be the end of the latest round of globalization - another "1177 BC" event. There are also only 3 places in the world that build reliable commercial jets for airline transport. All of those places are going downhill. hmmm...new age of sail?

In other news:

rts265

Phil Edwards status
Oct 19, 2007
Wasn’t feeling well so I did the ‘responsible’ thing and called in sick. Got placed on a minimum 7 day leave and looking to get tested. Can’t even take a rest have to deal with all this bullshit paperwork.

• Sad
Reactions: PRCD

Bohter

Michael Peterson status
Mar 7, 2006
Season 3 Episode 10 of "The Last Man on Earth" TV show March 5th 2017....

Last edited:

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
At the time you wrote that (Apr 6), the Press was crucifying Anders Tegnell. Now they've shifted the goalposts to say that the Swedes were doing voluntary lockdowns and social distancing. Or they're interviewing the Swedish Karen and maintaining the same narrative, despite the Lancet article showing COVID 19 deaths per million were largely unaffected by lockdowns. These are the countries with the worst deaths/million and the countries in red had lockdowns:
1597252180819.png

To the extent that lockdowns accomplished something for Sweden's Nordic neighbors, the deaths have just been pushed to the future.

In other news, there has been much pearl-clutching on this forum about the true deadliness of COVID-19. The CDC is now providing serological tracking, which gives an estimate of the true denominator in the IFR for a given location. Here's a screencap for the metro NY area of round 2:
1597258701166.png

In other words, take the number of reported cases and multiply by 10 to get the estimated number of infections. The IFR for this location is the number of deaths in that location divided by the estimated number of infections. The CDC does this with every other illness it tracks, like influenza.

California is, as with everything else, way behind on its serological tracking. It has data only for round 1 dating back to the end of April (this might be why our LatinX public health lady just resigned). Serological studies performed in May by two California universities estimated 5% had antibodies.
1597258788906.png

Attachments

Reactions: stringcheese