*** Official Corona Virus Thread ***

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
A liberal Millennial (but I repeat myself) yuppie started yammering on about Texas and Huntington Beach today and COVID parties. He couldn't tell the difference between CFR and IFR and doubt the latter could be estimated. I sent him two papers about the COVID IFR and the CDC's data on the 2017-18 flu season and implied that he compare the two himself. I haven't heard back and I won't.

Our educated classes can't think. They have knowledge, but no understanding. Increasingly, their knowledge is just whatever the press says it is. They say they all don't believe the press (polling data puts trust in the press dead-last compared to the rest of our institutions), but they're constantly repeating the press talking points.

stringcheese

Miki Dora status
Jun 21, 2017
Asked Tuesday what might change his mind on recommending the use of face masks, Sweden's chief epidemiologist Anders Tegnell said he was still waiting for "some form of proof that they are effective".

- 'Stubborn' -

For Cheng, such logic is questionable.

"I think it's wrong, it's irresponsible and it's stubborn," the epidemiologist said.

"If he's wrong, it costs life. If I'm wrong, what harm does it do?"

Yeah that about sums up the argument from both sides :LOL:

Bohter

Michael Peterson status
Mar 7, 2006
"Our educated classes can't think. They have knowledge, but no understanding. Increasingly, their knowledge is just whatever the press says it is. They say they all don't believe the press (polling data puts trust in the press dead-last compared to the rest of our institutions), but they're constantly repeating the press talking points."

That's not knowledge....that is belief. The educated academics believe what they've been taught because they believe they have no reason to question it. It's much like religion....but the belief comes from Science books etc. Pretty easy to see how folks get fooled.....programmed to think they have true "knowledge" because they went to school.....and now swim with a group that confirms their "knowledge".

oneula

Miki Dora status
Jun 3, 2004
question
if this is all fake and its safe as pudding out there

then why instead of passing legislation to put back the $600 into the new CURE bill..
was the focus on getting COVID liability waivers for employers, governments and schools so they cannot be held accountable for killing or serious hurting their employees and customers for their selfish financial actions?

Kind of destroys the viability of OSHA guidelines which have no meaning anymore after COVID in the workplace
I'd rather be exposed to lead, mercury and asbestos than COVID at work

But then on the other hand, unless all of these handles are just trolls of the a small set of individuals which I am often apt to believe, then why aren't more or you or at least some of you dead by now? The percentages being tossed around by the press would indicate it's inevitable that COVID would not have 100% no impact in any population.

nothing makes sense anymore

Reactions: JBerry

crustBrother

Kelly Slater status
Apr 23, 2001
why aren't more or you or at least some of you dead by now?
Per https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/cases-updates/cases-in-us.html there have been 150,000 covid deaths in the US as of today.

The US population is 328,000,000

Divide 150,000 by 328,000,000 and you get .0005

What that means is that 5 out of every 10,000 have died in the US. Applying simplification of this fraction we know this is the same as saying that 1 out of every 2,000 people have died from COVID in the US.

So... assuming the people on this board are a representative of the US population in general, we would need to have 2000 people posting on this board before we could expect one of the posters to have died from covid. I don't think we have that many.

Additionally, we are not a representative sample of the US population. The level of obesity (which is the leading indicator of how badly a population will be affected by COVID) is surely lower amongst surfers than amongst the general population. So we need even more than 2000 surfers before we can expect to have one of us die. Not sure how many more. But my gut sense is its like 10 times more or something along those lines.

But that's just math. The reason nothing makes sense is because those are just numbers. Those numbers can mean very different things to different people depending on their VALUES. By values I mean their assessment of what is really important in life. And we have a lot of people with very different values publishing their analysis of covid numbers. Since their values are different they publish VERY different conclusions.

A lot of folks think that not dying is priority number 1.

My priority is living! And by "living" I mean "experiencing really cool sh!t". So doing things like riding motorcycles and rock climbing make sense to me. But I have good friends who I love and respect who think I'm batshit crazy for hopping on a motorcycle and hitting 100mph. And maybe they are right!

But they are also the ones hiding in their houses cause they think its too dangerous to go outside. And I think they are batshit crazy for doing that. And maybe I am right!

Last edited:

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
well. that sucks:

"a source told Vanity Fair"

Anytime I hear anything about "a source" I'm instantly skeptical. The past 4 years have proved this prudent.

Reactions: afoaf

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
question
if this is all fake and its safe as pudding out there
That's a pretty false premise for the majority of posters here except Bohter.

then why instead of passing legislation to put back the $600 into the new CURE bill..
was the focus on getting COVID liability waivers for employers, governments and schools so they cannot be held accountable for killing or serious hurting their employees and customers for their selfish financial actions?
Because throughout history humanity pushes forward and takes risks despite hardships and risk of death.

The stability and survival of the species has always depended on it.

Some people in the kid gloves world we now live in don't grasp this.

They don't understand that if the world ceases to function the toll on humanity will be far greater than coronavirus.

So the exemptions from liability are important because of the above and additionally to prevent the mountains of frivolous lawsuits that would come forth.

Kinda like how NY state shielded doctors and nurses from lawsuits except the in the case of grossest negligence when caring for coronavirus patients.

Kind of destroys the viability of OSHA guidelines which have no meaning anymore after COVID in the workplace
Not exactly.

We're dealing with an "act of God" situation. See above.

I'd rather be exposed to lead, mercury and asbestos than COVID at work
Personal preference I guess

But then on the other hand, unless all of these handles are just trolls of the a small set of individuals which I am often apt to believe, then why aren't more or you or at least some of you dead by now? The percentages being tossed around by the press would indicate it's inevitable that COVID would not have 100% no impact in any population.
Read my previous post a few pages back about Scripps CEO essentially saying the Sand Diego county was not accurately reporting hospitalization numbers.

So what do you have to go on if you can't trust the numbers coming out of county health departments?

Anecdotally:

The coronavirus census in my hospital system here in San Diego has plummeted as the % positive has trended upward.

In our ICU the census of coronavirus patients is the lowest it has been since March.

The daily email sent by hospital administration regarding admitted case numbers yesterday showed no coronavirus admissions in two days.

I noticed people at work interpret this in different ways:
1) good news
2) "REALLY? That doesn't make sense. I think you read that wrong. COVID-19 is exploding everywhere. No I haven't read the email."
3) Disappointment mixed with a look of general anxiety. Sometimes they bring up a fear-mongering article on their phone to show me. I have noticed over the months these individuals seem to thrive on fearing the virus and at this point it seems they're almost addicted to it.

I think the best thing to do is limit media consumption and think critically. It will help you be as free from bias as possible and possibly to get the clearest picture possible of the situation.

Reactions: stringcheese

jamesgang

Miki Dora status
Aug 9, 2006
Location Location
A liberal Millennial (but I repeat myself) yuppie started yammering on about Texas and Huntington Beach today and COVID parties. He couldn't tell the difference between CFR and IFR and doubt the latter could be estimated. I sent him two papers about the COVID IFR and the CDC's data on the 2017-18 flu season and implied that he compare the two himself. I haven't heard back and I won't.

Our educated classes can't think. They have knowledge, but no understanding. Increasingly, their knowledge is just whatever the press says it is. They say they all don't believe the press (polling data puts trust in the press dead-last compared to the rest of our institutions), but they're constantly repeating the press talking points.
Luckily we have you to sort out all the bullshit coming from our nation's scientific community. If only everyone would listen to PRCD, perhaps we wouldn't have shut down schools, churches, professional sports, any large gathering restaurants, bars, etc. and still have 150,000 dead Americans and climbing.

I see a lot of angry people who can't face the fact that a global pandemic exposed the absurdity of our current economic system.

HarryLopez

Phil Edwards status
Jan 17, 2007
Neck deep
So... assuming the people on this board are a representative of the US population in general, we would need to have 2000 people posting on this board before we could expect one of the posters to have died from covid. I don't think we have that many.
I still believe there are only about 20 posters here with different handles.

Bother, where is the Youtube vid for this outrageous conspiracy!

stringcheese

Miki Dora status
Jun 21, 2017
If only everyone would listen to (people who wait for facts and necessary information before acting) perhaps we wouldn't have shut down schools, churches, professional sports, any large gathering restaurants, bars, etc. and would still have the same number of dead humans we have had despite all those unnecessary and damaging actions.
Fixed

stringcheese

Miki Dora status
Jun 21, 2017
I still believe there are only about 20 posters here with different handles.

Bother, where is the Youtube vid for this outrageous conspiracy!
At least a dozen went with OTF. We might be mostly who we think we are these days. Could be why it's more boring.

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
Luckily we have you to sort out all the bullshit coming from our nation's scientific community. If only everyone would listen to PRCD, perhaps we wouldn't have shut down schools, churches, professional sports, any large gathering restaurants, bars, etc. and still have 150,000 dead Americans and climbing.

I see a lot of angry people who can't face the fact that a global pandemic exposed the absurdity of our current economic system.
It's not coming from our scientific community. It's coming from the press. Now run along and lick their hand.

Reactions: stringcheese

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
It's not coming from our scientific community. It's coming from the press.
This.

If there's one thing this pandemic has inarguably exposed it's that fear sells. Voices of reason and voices

And many (not all) public policy decisions are not being based on science.

The policy decisions are coming from upper middle/upper class individuals who appear to be making decisions based on fear of the virus, fear of legal repercussions, fear of the general public, fear of constituents, etc.

Surfdog

Duke status
Apr 22, 2001
South coast OR
Regarding casa's from the inside view of hospital situation in at least one area of SD, it also seems Tri-City Hospital in NCSD has decided not to publicly post bed capacities/ICU used by COVID-19 patients in recent weeks.

Early on, say March/April/May, they had an info page for that stuff. Now, it's nowhere to be found?

But, we do have these charts that look pretty steady for bed/ICU capacities the last month or so.....CV19-073120-SD-BEDS.pngCV19-073120-SD-ICU.png

Last edited:

oneula

Miki Dora status
Jun 3, 2004
if you think businesses make decisions in the best interests of their customers and employees you definitely aren't in management at your organization.Maybe small business but any with hundreds or thousands or employees no.
How many management meetings this year have I been told things about exposures and other COVID related incidents we were prohibited from telling anyone else to protect the brand. The dumber the general public and employees is the better off we are and if something does come out blame someone or something else. Its will always be someone else fault and if caught settle under the table out of the public eye.

I tend to listen our Lt Gov who appears sensible and is on the front lines as a practicing doctor on the weekends but it appears no one else seems to care what happens here so we go from single digits to triple digits in the span of a month. 32/120 reported case here this week were small children which goes against the mainstream BS some of them ended up hospitalized. Vast community spread means it's hard to know where you can go safely or who you can associate with, even family you don't live with.

I find it hilarious that when the pandemic was a financially induced by wallstreet and greedy market manipulators, everyone was so mad so demanding for change and punishment. None of this "oh well" talk. The financial virus of 2008-2009 was no different than what's happening now to the economy there's no one driving the boat for this one. Everyone in the canoe paddling in different and opposite direction while we sink.

"for the better good" was a rational used for most of the atrocities humankind conducted throughout its history.