*** Official Corona Virus Thread ***

sussle

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Oct 11, 2009
How many times do we have to tell you fukkers. Yes, I know people that died from covid that would otherwise be here alive. Not 30 year olds, sorry I can’t provide that.but my colleague would probably have lived another few decades, covid killed her in a week. My EMT friends that caught it (many of them did) are mostly all very young and healthy, most of them recovered quick and easy, but a few still have major lung and energy issues months later. Imagine being an invincible 25 year old who spends 50 hours a week responding to medical emergencies in the projects. Then you get sick with this new thing. But it’s cool you’re young and badass. But then MONTHS later, no Longer testing positive, you still can’t walk up a flight of stairs and you feel like you’re about to suffocate most of the day. but Please, shout your ignorance from the roof tops as proof that this doesn’t exist.
exactly. crowing about the death rate is willful ignorance, but i guess it's all some of these guys have left.

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
Yes, this was mentioned before, but many seem to overlook it. 2 months or so ago when "most" hospitals didn't have much CV-19 related activity, many basically ended up being near ghost towns (except a few select hot spots, NYC and a few others). People weren't coming in for GP visits, and even ER's were near empty. Most all elective surgeries were put on hold, fearing the need for ICU space and beds. Staff was getting furloughed due to lack of activity.

So, once we started seeing a steady dropping CV-19 positives and low ICU, beds occupied, the hospitals started allowing REGULAR non CV-19 patients back in for elective surgeries and other medical care needs earlier put on hold.

In recent weeks hospitals were filling back up to near normal activity with REGULAR patients. But now with this new spike in CV-19 cases, some needing hospitalization/ICU, they're going to have to start cancelling all the non-CV-19 patient surgeries again until bed/ICU capacity gets back to earlier shutdown levels.

Once we start seeing a leveling off of NEW CV-19 patients in hospitals, and eventual release (or worse case, death), then they will slowly be able to start accepting non-CV-19 patients again for typical surgeries most do on a day in/day out basis.

This is the main reason some hospitals are reaching near capacity again. Some will need to transfer to other hospitals if emergencies are required or put off that cancer surgery and what-not a bit longer.
I'll add the spike in cases coincided with a period of time where hospitals were bringing back "elective" surgeries in very high volumes due to the massive backlog.

Also understand most of these "elective" surgeries are not actually elective (i.e. a boob job)... they are essential but simply not emergent.

After shutting down for basically 4 months the hospitals are not going to financially survive this surge, btw. They've been bleeding money 4 straight months with nothing coming in. Now we're looking at a possibly longer period of no elective surgeries...I'd conservatively guess at least another 4 months. That's 8 months worth of a huge percentage of revenue.

So what are we looking at now? A hospital bailout? To add to the coming bailouts? LOL. If you know how much money flows through a hospital system every day you know this would bring economic catastrophe...

You can thank those who attended protests, bars, and parties over the past weeks then refused to isolate from at risk individuals.:)

Reactions: PPK96754 and mundus

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
"The hospitals are considering restricting non urgent surgeries to create more space"

So, admittance has increased since they have...began admitting more people?
Here's the big secret that has been mostly hidden from the public:

Many ICUs in the state are already half or more full with coronavirus patients from Imperial County and Mexico. As the infection rates were declining wherever you live the local ICU was filling up with patients from Imp County and Mexico.

Coronavirus patients stay in the ICU around a month or two if they live. So these patients aren't going anywhere.

Across the state many ICUs are already half full of these patients. There are ICUs in SD county where every coronavirus patient is from Imperial County or Mexico.

One of the reasons is many hospitals had already contracted with hospitals in Imperial County to assist with their overflow of ICU patients...what they did not count on is all the cases from Mexico and our lack of (i.e. nonexistent) border control during the shutdown.

Some of those hospitals have now managed to put a stop on accepting more patients from these hospitals because they basically won't have any ICU beds left for the local community.

everysurfer

Phil Edwards status
Sep 9, 2013
Santa Barbara County
Here's the big secret that has been mostly hidden from the public:

Many ICUs in the state are already half or more full with coronavirus patients from Imperial County and Mexico. As the infection rates were declining wherever you live the local ICU was filling up with patients from Imp County and Mexico.

Coronavirus patients stay in the ICU around a month or two if they live. So these patients aren't going anywhere.

Across the state many ICUs are already half full of these patients. There are ICUs in SD county where every coronavirus patient is from Imperial County or Mexico.

One of the reasons is many hospitals had already contracted with hospitals in Imperial County to assist with their overflow of ICU patients...what they did not count on is all the cases from Mexico and our lack of (i.e. nonexistent) border control during the shutdown.

Some of those hospitals have now managed to put a stop on accepting more patients from these hospitals because they basically won't have any ICU beds left for the local community.

If only we were all told to wear masks at the beginning

Random Guy

Duke status
Jan 16, 2002
That was not the question that was asked.

Three times in this thread that question has been asked.
Can you name the healthy people you know who have died from covid-19?

Three times now, the responses have been "my very old sick relative died of something but may have had covid-19, at some point"

Very sorry for your loss. Confused that you let someone tell you that you couldn't see your dying father, then took from it the lesson that we all aren't taking this serious enough.
Overweight in 40s wife’s cousin
Second hand knowledge of hypertension and diabetes, but healthy working normal living people
Not half dead anyway