*** Official Corona Virus Thread ***

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
Some good news. Sorry if its been posted.

Interesting

Convalescent plasma and remdesivir have been pretty, erm, underwhelming (i.e. about as effective as hydroxychloroquine) with the sickest patients in my experience. We'll see how this goes.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: JDJ and MANdingo

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
Since we're talking about dual US/Mexican citizens (not merely US citizens)...

Using your logic, in the case of US/Mexican citizens in San Diego or elsewhere, would the US also have "every right to send them to" Mexico as well?

I suppose, but that would be a lousy thing to do. Let other countries be lame.

Being a USA citizen means you get the benefit (as well as suffering) of being part of the melting pot.

Now, time to bankrupt them if they don't have medical insurance! :bricks:;)

jamesgang

Miki Dora status
Aug 9, 2006
Location Location
Since we're talking about dual US/Mexican citizens (not merely US citizens)...

Using your logic, in the case of US/Mexican citizens in San Diego or elsewhere, would the US also have "every right to send them to" Mexico as well?

No one has argued otherwise.
Dual citizens are citizens. The US allows dual citizenship. They are in no way different or less than people with sole citizenship. At all.

And if you want to compare the US to Mexico there's a long list of things about Mexico that are shittier, their government sucks.

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
I suppose,
I don't think so

but that would be a lousy thing to do. Let other countries be lame.
Which was my point.

It's not lousy, it's flat out wrong.
Now, time to bankrupt them if they don't have medical insurance! :bricks:;)
Both the patient and the hospital.

Rumor is that Scripps and Sharp will not be surviving this long term - the financial news coming down the pipeline is disastrous.

Obviously this situation is not going to get any better either, only worse, as long as Mexico doesn't get the virus under control.

San Diego's hospital system is not built physically or financially to serve both San Diego + Mexicali and Tijuana. And if things go to hell in Southern CA...

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
Dual citizens are citizens. The US allows dual citizenship. They are in no way different or less than people with sole citizenship. At all.
No one said they were.

You missed the whole point of everything I've been saying.

Let me recap for you:
- Mexico's government sucks, this is like a medical version of the TJ river debacle.
- Capacity is an issue. We're currently at 65% capacity according to the county - I'm told we're actually at 75 or 80% capacity and that the county has a way of fudging the numbers. At 80% capacity local officials will initiate a shutdown.
- The COVID 19 patients that are filling hospitals are from Mexico, leaving a remaining 20-30% capacity for San Diegans.

You could replace the word "Mexico" with LA County or Riverside County or Timbuktu wherever, the point remains the same.

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
I don't get this part:

That shoveled about 300K possible patients who live in an impoverished part of the world where disease transmission is more frequent onto San Diego and Riverside County's health system.
are you saying that 300,000 people have physically come in to the states AND are engaged with the
health system or that 300,000 people could possibly need medical services?

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
I don't get this part:

are you saying that 300,000 people have physically come in to the states AND are engaged with the
health system or that 300,000 people could possibly need medical services?
The latter.

There are an estimated 300K US citizens or green card holders living in Northern Baja

Being that 20% of positive tests require hospitalization - if just 1% of those 300K test positive you'd need an additional 600 beds - and mild hospitalized patients hang around at minimum weeks, with ICU patients hanging around months. So those beds stayed filled a long time.

Reactions: Havoc

Bohter

Michael Peterson status
Mar 7, 2006
Was going up West Mountain on my bike yesterday evening and there's my old guy walker acquaintance huffing and puffing....stopping to catch his breath with a N95 mask on. He says to me as I pass that I should have a mask on and that the germs can travel 60 feet based on a study he heard on NPR. So I stop about 30 feet above him and I let him tell me more about it.....then I shared my "alternative" view and factual information regarding how the PCR test works and what that means with respect to the numbers being presented to us. It was an honest back and forth discussion....and he said he'd look into it. He's 78 and scared to death.....which I think is really sad.

Earlier I was at the store and saw a lady w/o a mask on....I commented to her about it.....asked her what she thinks about the whole enchilada. She said it's BS....and if I had similar views why did I have my mask on. She knew all about Bechamp and Terrain Theory....and was not fearful one iota...

I'm going to be talking about this a lot.....folks seem genuinely interested to learn or re-learn about Germ vs. Terrain Theory....and they're definitely interested in the info re the PCR test.....they wonder why they've never learned that from the MSM.

....and you guys talk about this virus as if it was peanut butter.....spreading here and there......
....get me some orange juice.

surfadelphia

Nep status
Nov 15, 2010
Earlier I was at the store and saw a lady w/o a mask on....I commented to her about it.....asked her what she thinks about the whole enchilada. She said it's BS....and if I had similar views why did I have my mask on. She knew all about Bechamp and Terrain Theory....and was not fearful one iota...
And the whole store broke out in applause

• Haha
Reactions: sussle

Clayster

Miki Dora status
Oct 26, 2005
Ha and you guys all blamed New York at first

too soon?

NY got blamed largely due to the State's asinine policy of forcing nursing homes to take covid 19 patients. It was absolutely the wrong thing to do, and everyone knew it, except New York's governor.

Still, I stick to my guns about what I said from day one: this virus isn't going away, and our half hearted lockdowns did nothing but wreck our economy. Too many people were still out and about and kept the virus moving. Now that more people are out and about, it is moving faster.

There is no solution but to deal with it, and hope we get immunity. There is simply no other choice. It isn't going away. We cannot be perpetually locked down as people cannot survive economically, and our governments will go broke. Given the insanity and riots prevalent in this country now, bankrupt governments would be a very, very bad thing.

obslop

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Feb 4, 2002
san diego, CA
The latter.

There are an estimated 300K US citizens or green card holders living in Northern Baja

Being that 20% of positive tests require hospitalization - if just 1% of those 300K test positive you'd need an additional 600 beds - and mild hospitalized patients hang around at minimum weeks, with ICU patients hanging around months. So those beds stayed filled a long time.
could happen.

the hospital capacity numbers seem to be creeping:

Reactions: Havoc

sussle

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Oct 11, 2009