*** Official Corona Virus Thread ***

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
A buddy of mine 10 years older just got COVID after 2 shots + a booster. Going to be a mild case because of the vaccines, but the vaccines don't prevent infection and transmission nor do they reduce it much. The lockdowns are going to do nothing but ruin every other aspect of health and likely do nothing to prevent spread.

Freaking interim governor Huchuli declared a new state of emergency in NY and the fucking variant hasn’t even been detected here yet. It’s almost certainly in the city, not arguing that, but talk about creating unnecessary panic and anxiety.
She was just trying to convince everyone to come back to NYC too. :rolleyes:

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
The problem with viral infections is if you wait for the cases, you are too late.

That is why dealing with pandemics is hard.

Super high risk of both under and over reacting
oh i get that, it's a tight rope walk. But another State of Emergency, when we've already been plugging along dealing with this now for nearly 2 years? why bother with the histrionics? i know it frees up emergency funds and whatever else, national guard assistance etc, but that should just be a given at this point if NY does in fact get some crazy fall Omnichronic spike

Reactions: grapedrink

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
oh i get that, it's a tight rope walk. But another State of Emergency, when we've already been plugging along dealing with this now for nearly 2 years? why bother with the histrionics? i know it frees up emergency funds and whatever else, national guard assistance etc, but that should just be a given at this point if NY does in fact get some crazy fall Omnichronic spike
We have far less control over viral spread than we think. What we CAN control is hospitalization by getting people vaccinated and testing some more therapeutics. How will these "leaders" argue the vaccines are effective if they're imposing the same lockdowns they did two years ago even with vaccines? Do they care about their credibility?

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
i don't think NY will lock down again. At the risk of Jinxing it, let's hope Hochuli's call was made INSTEAD of lockdowns, as opposed to a "get ready for more lockdowns" because New Yorkers, much like most of those in other states, will simply not comply. Like "prepare for a bunch more sick people again, but everyone can still get on with their lives as they see fit"

CutnSnip

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2018
Probably dropping in on you, California
i don't think NY will lock down again. At the risk of Jinxing it, let's hope Hochuli's call was made INSTEAD of lockdowns, as opposed to a "get ready for more lockdowns" because New Yorkers, much like most of those in other states, will simply not comply. Like "prepare for a bunch more sick people again, but everyone can still get on with their lives as they see fit"
hopefully everyone realizes that the lockdowns are ineffective in this sh!t. every time we lock down, numbers go down as they should, and then we open - numbers go up. cant lock it down forever so whats the point?

Reactions: PRCD

stringcheese

Miki Dora status
Jun 21, 2017
Did you hear the news? The variation on a common cold that has been going around for a couple of years did what colds do and changed a little. It's also doing the other thing colds do, hitting more people as the weather gets colder. Better put a t shirt over your face, not go out to eat, and get six shots of who knows what in each arm. They say that'll reduce the likelihood of your getting it bad from almost zero to... slightly less almost zero.

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
By the time we discover a variant, it's all the way around the world. The probability of detecting a variant depends on how many people have it and how many people are looking for it. To increase the probability of detecting a yet-rare variant, you'd have to conduct a massive number of tests on a massive number of people in hopes of finding some people with it. False positives would be very high based on the Bayesian statistics of detection probability. You might be able to set up some sort of surveillance network at the airports and STAWP the SPREAD of variants early on but this would involve taking nasal swabs of a certain percentage of travelers and processing them very quickly - like while they wait in the customs line. Overall, this would probably grind global travel to a halt which is maybe the point of these travel bans. I can't see a scientific reason for travel bans in the era of global air travel.

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
By the time we discover a variant, it's all the way around the world. The probability of detecting a variant depends on how many people have it and how many people are looking for it. To increase the probability of detecting a yet-rare variant, you'd have to conduct a massive number of tests on a massive number of people in hopes of finding some people with it. False positives would be very high based on the Bayesian statistics of detection probability. You might be able to set up some sort of surveillance network at the airports and STAWP the SPREAD of variants early on but this would involve taking nasal swabs of a certain percentage of travelers and processing them very quickly - like while they wait in the customs line. Overall, this would probably grind global travel to a halt which is maybe the point of these travel bans. I can't see a scientific reason for travel bans in the era of global air travel.
Amazing isn't it?

Now that we know how contagious this virus is not to mention how being asymptomatic figures into it there's really no valid excuse for travel bans.

Zero.

It's an exercise in futility.

• Love

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
The problem with viral infections is if you wait for the cases, you are too late.

Which doesn't apply here.

All we know is there's a variant with a large number of changes to the spike protein.

That is all.

There are variants and there will continue to be variants.

If this sort of "state of emergency" attitude is continually taken there's a good chance it will amount to the public seeing this as crying wolf.

Our leaders already contributed to suboptimal vaccination numbers like I said they would by forcing mandates down people's throats.

Unless this variant is really something to write home about they're about to worsen the situation.

As bad viruses and pandemics happen we might as well be living in a perpetual "state of emergency" until COVID zero (not happening)

oneworlded

Administrator
Jun 4, 2004
Murrica
chrisdixonreports.com
I've tried to explain to people, nearly all of whom are vaxxed, that the fear/stress they are self imposing due to the way they STILL restrict their behavior is more likely to kill them.
I'm not very fearful or stressed - nor is my family. We're all vaxxed. I'd be way more stressed if I wasn't vaxxed. Just found out one of the unvaxxed buddies I grew up with - from boy scouts to high school - is in the hospital and is likely to very soon become another covid fatality. A dad with three daughters and even a grandbaby or two.
Yup, I'd be way more stressed if I wasnt' vaxxed.

Reactions: PPK96754 and sussle

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
Which doesn't apply here.

All we know is there's a variant with a large number of changes to the spike protein.

That is all.

There are variants and there will continue to be variants.

If this sort of "state of emergency" attitude is continually taken there's a good chance it will amount to the public seeing this as crying wolf.

Our leaders already contributed to suboptimal vaccination numbers like I said they would by forcing mandates down people's throats.

Unless this variant is really something to write home about they're about to worsen the situation.

As bad viruses and pandemics happen we might as well be living in a perpetual "state of emergency" until COVID zero (not happening)
I wasn't condoning living a perpetual state of emergency.

Just saying that it's easy to over and under react.

I don't agree that federal mandates stopped the vaccine resistant from getting the shots.

That is like when the Palestinians send rockets into Israel and Israel counters with rockets and then the Palestinians cry "Now you've done it!"

You are dealing with a bunch of fucking retards.

Retards do retarded sh!t.

The level of stupidity is awesome.

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
yeah my sister and brother in law are anti Vax. but luckily for them, they both got it and survived. My brother in law is a big unhealthy hard drinking 50 year old. He was on his ass for 2 weeks but thankfully didn’t need a trip to the hospital or morgue.

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
I wasn't condoning living a perpetual state of emergency.

Just saying that it's easy to over and under react.

I don't agree that federal mandates stopped the vaccine resistant from getting the shots.

That is like when the Palestinians send rockets into Israel and Israel counters with rockets and then the Palestinians cry "Now you've done it!"

You are dealing with a bunch of fucking retards.

Retards do retarded sh!t.

The level of stupidity is awesome.
That's what I'm saying.

People don't like to be micromanaged.

In my profession the micromanaging is pretty intense - it's one of the main causes of burnout and meltdowns on the job.

Professions like public school elementary ed the same - a great way to drive the good teachers to go elsewhere.

And so on.

When a person in authority tells another adult what to do with their body it's an example of micromanaging. Just like anyplace else, a lot of people people will do as told...others not so much.

Then add in a dash of the (predictable) stupid.

And here we are.

stringcheese

Miki Dora status
Jun 21, 2017
That's what I'm saying.

People don't like to be micromanaged.

In my profession the micromanaging is pretty intense - it's one of the main causes of burnout and meltdowns on the job.

Professions like public school elementary ed the same - a great way to drive the good teachers to go elsewhere.

And so on.

When a person in authority tells another adult what to do with their body it's an example of micromanaging. Just like anyplace else, a lot of people people will do as told...others not so much.

Then add in a dash of the (predictable) stupid.

And here we are.

People also don't like being lied to "for their own good"

Personally, I can't stand being treated like a moron child by people who don't want to risk being honest because anything short of acting like the world is ending might cause reasonable folks to not jump and do what they're told without question.

goingoutside

Legend (inyourownmind)
Mar 7, 2016

" That is why dealing with pandemics is hard "

You mentioned " pandemics " (plural), which " pandemics " are you referring to?

Just how many of these " pandemics " like these have taken place in the past?

And when has the WHOLE WORLD been taken over, and controlled by an authoritarian system like it is has been now,
because of a so called " pandemic " ?

...I am Goingoutside, ... now, ...try think about the present world situation...and.... connect the dots..... = TOTAL PSYOP!

• Haha
Reactions: afoaf