***Official Car Talk Thread***

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
No affiliation with Click and Clack, the Tappet brother's show.

A place to discuss all things automotive.

I watched a bit of the Indy 500 and right now am watching the Monaco GP. F-1 is so much more interesting, especially now that they're running in the rain and chaos ensue. :drowning: Entertaining.

Tires on F1 cars like fins on surfboards= critical.

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
Good idea for a thread. I guess I’ve always been a closet gearhead who’s never had the chance to fuck with much beyond basic maintenance. I really wanted to do the recent work on my truck myself, my old man was tv repairman so I’ve got an ultimate set of tools but it was just too big a job.

But I can’t stop thinking how much I love turning wrenches along with how rad it would be to have something still driveable for when the satellites crash and it’s Mad Max time and since I can do electrical along with hydraulics and could def use learning/knowing how to weld there’s a very solid chance my future holds building one of these
1685321668423.jpeg

The prices on old/cool everything else are through the roof ala og broncos but Baja bugs/dune buggies aren’t there yet and I bet I could build a wicked one. Subaru engine and locking rear differential?

Reactions: john4surf

r32

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 1, 2005
Cambria
Added link to this thread in the POPULAR LINKS post, under CARS

Reactions: Chocki

Hump

Phil Edwards status
Jan 10, 2002
Vancouver Island
That finish at Indy today was insane. One of the best I've ever seen.
Three red flags in the last few laps was crazy and virtually unprecedented, IMHO.
I've watched the Indy 500 over 50 times in my life, maybe even over 60, and that ending wasn't one of the "best" I've ever seen and I can't recall as many reds as today.

Good pass for the win.
I'm thinking if you're leading the start of the last lap it must be a rather helpless feeling, knowing the guy behind you is coming by and there's nothing you can do about it without wrecking.
Lots of races won by last lap last corner passes in my experience.

An ok race for sure but the lack of sustained action near the end made it rather dis-jointed,
again, IMHO.

Take care.

Reactions: john4surf

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
The wife and I test drove a Tesla yesterday. I laughed when they handed me the key card and said be back in a half hour. She almost crapped her panties when I floored it at the first stoplight :shameonyou: but overall it was a positive experience. Now she / we wants one.
Don’t know about your neck of the woods, but around here (coastal LA) they’re everywhere. It has become my hobby waiting at a red lights to see how many I can count. 7 at one intersection is my record. I’d say average is 3. Very rarely will I come to a stop and not see at least one. They’re fekkin everywhere, often in packs of two or three.

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
Electric parking brakes. I mean how the hell you gonna slide into a spot with one dem?

One of my big regrets is not taking a precision driving course while I lived in LA.

While the electric parking brake makes sourcing pads a wicked pita I’m glad my truck has one otherwise I might do something stupid like install a drift lever or remove the latch on the pedal lol

What’s up with the thermostat vid? You swapping one out for a cooler one?

surfadelphia

Nep status
Nov 15, 2010
My lesbaru is hitting the point where pretty much every wear and tear part needs replacing. Just did spark plugs, muffler, up next is failing A/C. It's a pain in the ass and I might just swap on over to a new prius or corolla cross hybrid

Pico

Duke status
Aug 20, 2010
SUP Nation
What’s up with the thermostat vid? You swapping one out for a cooler one?
Nah Ive done it before. I just think the wiggle technique of the install is hilarious.

See 3:50 This guy is the King and makes it look easy

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
Nah Ive done it before. I just think the wiggle technique of the install is hilarious.

See 3:50 This guy is the King and makes it look easy

I debated doing mine for a 170 but it gets sooo cold here in the winter.

There are a lot of what not to do vids out there for sure. Like the ones I watched about how to jack up and support your truck smh

Anyone in GA want to learn to be a stunt driver?

Team O’Neil is still the bomb when it comes to free online performance driving instruction

Last edited:

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
I enjoy wrenching on cars to an extent. If I had a garage and a lift I'd probably always have a project car in the works. Unfortunately, living on an island surrounded by salt water, cars and trucks just become a nuisance. Couldn't count the number of sidewalk brake and caliper jobs I've done over the years along with, bypassing rotted out brake and power steering lines, rusted out spark plugs etc. I'll be outside today coating the under-side of my Explorer with Fluid-Film trying in vain to keep corrosion at bay a little longer.

Reactions: kawika and Chocki