Official Bird & Nature Post

Hump

Phil Edwards status
Jan 10, 2002
Vancouver Island
March along the BC coast means Herring spawning time and the frenzied fishery that accompanies it.
Here's a couple of pics taken today by a fisheries patrol plane out assessing the state of the spawning around Hernando Island and area.
HerringSpawnArieal.jpg
HerringSpawn2.jpg

HerringSpawn3.jpg

Gets nuts when the spawning Herring are declared open for a short fishery as boats jostle for position, sometimes ramming each other with lots of clever comments exchanged and so forth.

Big money some years.

Take care.

Hump

Phil Edwards status
Jan 10, 2002
Vancouver Island
The Herring spawn is on big-time right now and here's a few photos of the scene around the Qualicum Beach area, south of where I live, taken yesterday.

HerringSpawn4.jpg

HerringSpawn5.jpg

HerringSpawn6.jpg

HerringSpawn7.jpg

I think the fishery for Herring and their roe ended today.

It's a very short, frenzied and lucrative fishery sometimes.

Take care.

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
Hot streak on bicycle-related missions of late.

First up, and this was a stop sign with a car coming so I fkn blew it, but just out of frame is a crow that was harassing the sh!t out of our subject. I wondered if the bird was flaring its feather hairdo up as a threat. I swear it was even more pissed than these things usually are.

View attachment 20240310_081151-min.jpg

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
Boys sometimes it's mind-blowing. Went for the time change's first post-work MTB trail ride. This Hanna Hoo Hooooo was originally sitting in the street in the closed lane just inside the park gate, just chillaxin' and scoping the scene. 0 fux given.

I rode over just to admire it in the street, people driving right past it were taking photos, and it got to the point someone came out of the office and shoo'd it out of the road. It scooted up into this tree, I stared some more, went back to my car, got my cell phone, rode my bike back over to it, and took this from about 15' away. It was so calm and with other people coming I decided to bail and go ride and when I rode back across the street other people were photo'ing it and it still hadn't moved.

View attachment 20240313_181032-min.jpg

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
That is a Red-shouldered hawk. Nice get!

Donde?
The dead rat Skynyrd Byrd face off is between A1A and Penman Rd in North Jax Beach, call it 500 yards from the beach. From A1A to the beach is urban with little strips of grass for the most part, A1A to Penman the oak trees got merked pretty bad decades ago I'd assume and it's single family homes with yards, West of Penman oaks and other large trees are far more plentiful in the yards.

The creek is Western Duval County inland of the St. John's. An old rail line was converted into a paved bike trail and this is along the trail.

The owl was at Hanna Park up by the Navy Base at Mayport and is densely wooded coastal hammock.

Hump

Phil Edwards status
Jan 10, 2002
Vancouver Island
Boys sometimes it's mind-blowing. Went for the time change's first post-work MTB trail ride. This Hanna Hoo Hooooo was originally sitting in the street in the closed lane just inside the park gate, just chillaxin' and scoping the scene. 0 fux given.

I rode over just to admire it in the street, people driving right past it were taking photos, and it got to the point someone came out of the office and shoo'd it out of the road. It scooted up into this tree, I stared some more, went back to my car, got my cell phone, rode my bike back over to it, and took this from about 15' away. It was so calm and with other people coming I decided to bail and go ride and when I rode back across the street other people were photo'ing it and it still hadn't moved.

View attachment 175199

Here's one who is demonstrating how effective camouflage can be.
Really neat critters for sure.
RundleCamoOwl.jpg

Photo by Brian Rundle

Take care.

SteveT

Phil Edwards status
Apr 11, 2005
We took a road trip out to Shark Tooth Hill today, about a 2.5 hour drive from the coast here.
Went up and over the Interstate 5 pass to the 99 to Bakersfield then head East.
After we got past the oil fields at Eastern Bakersfield it got really pretty along the lower Kern River, lots of water flowing and beautiful green rolling hills.
Met at the staging area @ 7:45 and it was a chilly 37 degrees.
Joined the Conga line @ 8:15 and made our way out to the dig site.
Very interesting trip, learned a lot about the inland sea that was here 15-20 million years ago.
Mostly sharks, whales, dolphins, giant seals and turtles lived here (along with the mythical Megladon Shark)
Although the teeth were not exactly jumping out at you we did manage to find a few in a couple of hours of digging/sifting.
Found some seal bones and turtle shell also.
All-in-all a fun experience. Definitely worth checking out. (y)
IMG_1893.jpg
IMG_1896.jpg
IMG_1900.jpg

SteveT

Phil Edwards status
Apr 11, 2005
Headed out to the islands on Monday-Friday to help my commercial fishing friend out after his crew member flaked on him.
Beautiful week out there.
Stick fished Rosa and Miguel from the skiff most of the time. The south swell got too big and we had to go to the long-line out at Talcott.
Sunrise as we headed out, it was grease calm most of the time.
IMG_1903.jpg

California's version of the Cliffs of Moher, West end SC Island.
IMG_1911.jpg

Swell showing at East Point, MUCH bigger than it looks.
IMG_1917.jpg

Thursday night at Cuyler's, always wonder about this slide and when it happened.
IMG_1921.jpg

My watch on the way home it was so calm - ZERO wind.
This guy showed up about a 1/4 mile ahead and he sounded before I got there but as I passed I pointed out the window and he decided to give me a show. Sometimes taken for granted but they always excite me when they are around.
IMG_1922.jpg