Duke status
May 12, 2002
Trona
www.pbase.com

Hump

Phil Edwards status
Jan 10, 2002
Vancouver Island
Trying to both stay on the theme of this thread, plus educate a few less experienced surfers, I offer these photos as instruction fodder for beginning duck-divers.
My photographer friend, Karen Wasilenchuk, took all these.

Here we see one duck showing others how it's done. Note symmetry of the legs and how the circling motion of them has created a circle of weeds within which the duck dives.
DuckDivingSingleKaren.jpg

Having demonstrated the proper form and technique, our instructor was joined by an eager pupil, seen here excitedly moving in.
DuckDivingDuoKaren.jpg

Unfortunately, haste often results in bad outcomes, seen here as the two ducks bonked their heads together underwater.

DuckDivingBonkHeadsKaren.jpg

Some vigorous and swirling paddling effort took them apart from each other and they resumed their duck-diving saga.
DuckDivingPostBonk.jpg

Once organized after bumping heads, they assumed the graceful act of synchronized diving, something that requires diligent practice but looks really good.

DuckDivingOrganizedAgain.jpg

And that's how you do it.

Take care.

ghostshaper

Phil Edwards status
Jan 22, 2005
There's one of those videos where they take him to dog agility training class or some sh!t and it's fucking shocking how compliant/obedient Messi is, especially by cat standards.
He seems like he's better behaved than the other dogs.

I think one main difference is that house cats are skittish b/c they're prey. Mtn lions aren't really anyone's prey, so he acts more like a dog.

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
keen do you have to look these up or are you just a good birder?
My research came up with Lewis Woodpecker when I looked it up a while back but it might’ve actually been one I seen then.

In this case I believe KF and Northern Flicker is correct.

I had just put that feeder up and little birds had gone to town on it but nothing special until this one and some of the big Jays?

I guess I look like a shady local now bc td up at the mtn at the top of the lift some random old tourist? guy asks me if he could’ve seen some sort of alpine ferret on the ride up??? I’m all like nice Marmot man, but for real was like you aint tripping holmes you saw a fucking ermine you lucky bastard.

1675209147053.jpeg

Last edited:

keenfish

Duke status
May 12, 2002
Trona
www.pbase.com
keen do you have to look these up or are you just a good birder?
Ha! I've been hunting wild birds with a camera for about 20 years now.

There are very few North American birds that would stump me these days unless it's something that is specific to a certain region that I am not familiar with.

What's the real crazy thing is that I know a large majority of them just by sound/call now. :foreheadslap: