Official Bird & Nature Post

Hump

Phil Edwards status
Jan 10, 2002
Vancouver Island
Sooke based photographer Kate Woods found some Canada Geese recently including this family cruising a small local lake.
Love how one has tucked right up under its parents tail.

KateWoodsGeeseGoslings.jpg

Later they went ashore and the kids started learning how to feed and what was good and all that.
KateWoodsSmallGoslingsFeeding.jpg

Not far away was a small group of older and larger Goslings, who objected to these new interlopers on their area so let their feelings be known by throwing a raspberry and telling the little ones to flock off.

KateWoodsBigGoslings.jpg

Apparently Ma Goose didn't take kindly to this and showed her displeasure by charging the group and telling them off.
KateWoodsMaGooseMadBigGoslings.jpg

Moms be like that sometimes.

Take care.

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
Sooke based photographer Kate Woods found some Canada Geese recently including this family cruising a small local lake.
Love how one has tucked right up under its parents tail.

View attachment 129878

Later they went ashore and the kids started learning how to feed and what was good and all that.
View attachment 129879

Not far away was a small group of older and larger Goslings, who objected to these new interlopers on their area so let their feelings be known by throwing a raspberry and telling the little ones to flock off.

View attachment 129880

Apparently Ma Goose didn't take kindly to this and showed her displeasure by charging the group and telling them off.
View attachment 129881

Moms be like that sometimes.

Take care.
Nice shots. What body and lens are you using?

Aquaman2

Michael Peterson status
Apr 17, 2008
Socal
fineartamerica.com
In the San Fernando Valley we have lots of squirrels and blue jays for neighbors. They learned to take roasted, unsalted peanuts, in-the-shell from the wall along my back yard. Some of the older and braver squirrels take peanuts from my hand. The blue jays are clever. One will land outside the patio door and wait until I throw a peanut out the door. Then it picks it up to fly away and hide it somewhere nearby, even in my yard, then fly back to pick up another and hide it. A squirrel will sit and eat every peanut on the wall, with his back to the other peanuts. Then a blue jay stealthily lands behind it and picks up a peanut without the squirrel even noticing. I guess blue jays just break the nuts into pieces and swallow the pieces? I've never seen a blue jay eating a peanut.

Reactions: Hump and keenfish

Hump

Phil Edwards status
Jan 10, 2002
Vancouver Island
I got Humped by Murphy's Law today.

Weather permitting I usually take a walk down the Tyee Spit every morning and 95% of the time I have my camera with me.
This morning, however, Murphy pulled his trick and I forgot it at home.

Naturally, this was the morning a little family of Humpback whales decided to hang around just outside the mooring buoy a couple hundred meters offshore.
As I hustled my butt home to fetch my camera the little one put on quite the display of tail lobbing along with lots of water smashing and such.
The best real-life display I think I've ever seen.
I got zero shots of that, naturally.

After grabbing my camera and getting back out it made a dozen or so breaches, most of which I got a shot of, while the adults seemed to just hang around, taking a breath now and then while junior frolicked freely.
The problem with the breaching shots is that they all look alike, as you will see.

Great way to start my day though.
Love living here.

RSCN7268.JPG

RSCN7270.JPG

RSCN7274.JPG

Lively little bugger.
Hope it makes it as there has been a large group of transient Orcas around lately and they'd like nothing better than a nice young Humpback calf.

Take care.