Official Bird & Nature Post

ghostshaper

Phil Edwards status
Jan 22, 2005
I just spent forever looking at this on IG. I was looking for a big face. The perspective of the lens threw me off.

Last edited:

ghostshaper

Phil Edwards status
Jan 22, 2005
Big CA sea hare for the intertidal. Right next to a wavy top turban snail shell.

Ever lick an anemone's tentacles? I used to give my students extra credit if they did. Didn't tell them what happens. Just let them experience it for themselves.

Hump

Phil Edwards status
Jan 10, 2002
Vancouver Island
My friend Karen went back to check on the Owlets she found recently and discovered they are all doing well, although one is obviously the dominant one and took up almost all of the opening to their nest, as shown here.

KarenFattyOwlet.jpg

Her initial concern was eased when all three Owlets posed for this pic. Sometimes the big one hogs all the food and the little one is either starved or ousted. So far so good.

KarenOwletsThree.jpg

Mom gets right in their with them and helps with feeding them. You can see her in behind the youngsters.

KarenOwletsMother.jpg

And here's a Cougar that's easy to see and even easier to lust over. LOL
Not bad for age 59. eh?

JoJoOrangeTop.jpg

Take care.

PPK96754

Miki Dora status
Apr 15, 2015
Kauai's north shore ~
My friend Karen went back to check on the Owlets she found recently and discovered they are all doing well, although one is obviously the dominant one and took up almost all of the opening to their nest, as shown here.

View attachment 128423

Her initial concern was eased when all three Owlets posed for this pic. Sometimes the big one hogs all the food and the little one is either starved or ousted. So far so good.

View attachment 128425

Mom gets right in their with them and helps with feeding them. You can see her in behind the youngsters.

View attachment 128426

And here's a Cougar that's easy to see and even easier to lust over. LOL
Not bad for age 59. eh?

View attachment 128429

Take care.
Is that the daughter from the kiddie swimming pool era of yore?? :shrug: ;)
You lucky photographer bastid!!!!
:cursing:

Hump

Phil Edwards status
Jan 10, 2002
Vancouver Island
Is that the daughter from the kiddie swimming pool era of yore?? :shrug: ;)
You lucky photographer bastid!!!!
:cursing:
Nope, she's a friends spouse but six years older than he is, hence the Cougar comment. LOL
Lives about 100 feet from me so I see her all the time. A natural beauty and a truly nice woman too.

JoJoLongHair.jpg

Here's the daughter of my Baby Pool gal a couple of years ago, dressed for Halloween.

KatieHalloween.jpg

She's a beauty too.

Take care.

Northern_Shores

Miki Dora status
Mar 30, 2009
I saved a pidgeon after a crow had a go at it today. Took it home and now it is rehabing on the balcony under my Bonsai tree bench. It has water with a few drops of lemon juice, beans, seeds and bits of veggies. No broken wing, just a bit bruised up maybe. Some tail feathers are missing too. Didn't fly after a few hours of rest today, so I'll have a flight test on Wednesday. I'll keep it until it's all healed up :). Will get photos!

Mike Tyson would be proud :)

Hump

Phil Edwards status
Jan 10, 2002
Vancouver Island
Everyone knows that birds can be photographed so that they appear graceful, elegant and beautiful in flight.
In order to fly, however, they must get airborne and sometimes that doesn't look so graceful, elegant and beautiful.
Here's an Osprey showing what I mean.

OspreyTakeoff.jpg

Other birds can also be graceful, elegant and beautiful, except for those times they aren't.
Here's a local Heron doing his best "Don't mess with me" pose.

HeronMenacing.jpg

Turned out he was simply pulling the old I'm sun-tanning don't mind me routine, hoping to lure lunch in a bit closer.

It worked.

KarenHeronFrog.jpg
Heron pics by Karen Wasilenchuk.

Take care.

Northern_Shores

Miki Dora status
Mar 30, 2009
I woulda killed the heron and saved the frog!

My parents hunting dog damn near got its teeth into a heron once. Woulda been a shitshow with those long limbs and wings.
It did hunt down and kill a deer a few weeks before Easter:cry:

We had it for dinner!