Official Bird & Nature Post

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
Just saw a first of a kind bird in the backyard around noon.

Terrible photo as shot through rain streaked window, but this bird appears to be a woodpecker type clinging bird (as opposed to 'perching'). A bit small smaller than a Robin. Didn't stick around too long. Am thinking it is a female Downy Woodpecker.....about 35% confidence at that.

1634850528029.png

Reactions: Joshua2415

keenfish

Duke status
May 12, 2002
Trona
www.pbase.com

johnson7

Nep status
Sep 29, 2016
Biggest snake record if real vid? Dominica

It looks a giant reticulated python, I'm guessing it's not real? Although I could be wrong, it seems like any flora or fauna from south east Asia would do well in those conditions though.

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
"Our" local hawk is flying around the neighborhood this morning. I kept hearing the very distinctive hawk cries that one always hears in Hollywood movies when people are out in the wilderness....just before the forest goes quiet. I tried to get some snaps of it, but am not having luck with clear photos. The hawk cries attracted a curious raven and they are playing stand-off right now on telephone poles.

This is pocket camera 12x zoom (4x optical zoom, the rest is interpolation) from about 4 backyards over:

1635269897918.png

All the little finches and sparrows are in hiding and the humming birds just don't give a darn and continue to flit around the pineapple sage and lime tree.

Hump

Phil Edwards status
Jan 10, 2002
Vancouver Island
Today's the day the local Black Bears have their picnic. Mom and a couple kids here not far from Sooke.

BearFamilyBeachDay.jpg

Here are the two cubs, looking well fed and well looked after.
Lots around this time of year, specially near salmon rivers and nearby beaches.

BearCubsOnBeach.jpg

Here's what they are looking for, more or less. Spawning Pink salmon here, but Chinook and Coho on the menu also.

RSCN6968.JPG

Lots of time on the local creeks for me this time of year too.
Sadly, not good returns for Chum or Coho in my little creek so far.
Hopeful.

Take care.

Hump

Phil Edwards status
Jan 10, 2002
Vancouver Island
Out for my morning walk and checked in at the Tyee Clubhouse when this little rascal hopped out of the bushes.
Didn't seem particularly concerned with me nor a Crow that sat on a rock maybe four feet away from it.
Small little thing with long legs.
My camera is crap and I'm a "point and shoot" photographer at best, so apologies for poor quality.

Keenfish, what type of Owl is this guy?

RSCN7048.JPG

RSCN7049.JPG

Take care.

Joshua2415

Tom Curren status
Jul 18, 2005
San Clemente
Out for my morning walk and checked in at the Tyee Clubhouse when this little rascal hopped out of the bushes.
Didn't seem particularly concerned with me nor a Crow that sat on a rock maybe four feet away from it.
Small little thing with long legs.
My camera is crap and I'm a "point and shoot" photographer at best, so apologies for poor quality.

Keenfish, what type of Owl is this guy?

View attachment 118823

View attachment 118824

Take care.
Looks like a burrowing owl.