Official Bird & Nature Post

_____

Phil Edwards status
Sep 17, 2012
These turkey buzzards sit on this section of posts (high and low) almost every morning and at some point do the horaltic pose as the sun rises. On rare occasions every single one of them will face the rising sun and all do it at the same time. One day I'll get the pic.

birds.jpg

keenfish

Duke status
May 12, 2002
Trona
www.pbase.com
These turkey buzzards sit on this section of posts (high and low) almost every morning and at some point do the horaltic pose as the sun rises. On rare occasions every single one of them will face the rising sun and all do it at the same time. One day I'll get the pic.

View attachment 108639
I've seen it in Baja when they all have their wings unfolded out and facing the rising sun. That is really cool to see. Get that photo!

Reactions: surf-shot.com

kelly7873

Nep status
Jan 20, 2002
Honolulu
I give up on the snake ID. This was taken 10 days ago in the Sebastian area on a walkway with a mangrove swamp on one side and a small marina on the other, on the Indian River Lagoon.

View attachment 108641View attachment 108642View attachment 108643View attachment 108644
I like playing this game but you can't really see much with these photos. I'm not even sure of the size of the snake, I'm guessing about 2 feet? My guess would be a water snake of the genus Nerodia. Maybe N. fasciata, N. floridana or N. cyclopion. I live in Hawaii, snake identification is real easy since there is only one species here.

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
I like playing this game but you can't really see much with these photos. I'm not even sure of the size of the snake, I'm guessing about 2 feet? My guess would be a water snake of the genus Nerodia. Maybe N. fasciata, N. floridana or N. cyclopion. I live in Hawaii, snake identification is real easy since there is only one species here.
The wooden beam at the edge of the walkway, an adult guy's sneaker would be about as wide at the widest point. I think roughly 2 feet (must....not...be....dick....and.....call.....snake......1'....Hawaiian) is a good guess.