Official Bird & Nature Post

Hump

Phil Edwards status
Jan 10, 2002
Vancouver Island
Found this old photo of a big fat Black bear we encountered on the Muchalat River, trib to the Gold, while on a fishing trip there back in the 90's.

I chased this guy away from the tail-out of the pool he was "fishing" in so we could walk up and try it ourselves.

I'd done the same thing a year previously to this same bear and was confident he'd move when I approached him and threw some rocks in the water near him while hooting and hollering and generally making lots of ruckus.

I was correct and he moved away into the bush no problem.

Returning downstream we encountered him sitting next to some Alders, waiting for us to bugger off.

He was in great shape.

Big Bear.jpg

Take care.

Hump

Phil Edwards status
Jan 10, 2002
Vancouver Island
Wrestling with the problem of whether to drop in on some kook is common with surfers, but how many of you have boxed an Eagle?

I have.

This is from 1986 at Eden Lake in what was called the Queen Charlotte Islands then, Haida Gwaii these days, and the Eagle had been hit by the bunk stake on a logging truck because it was full of deer meat from a road-kill and slow to get out of the way.

I and another guy boxed it up and the local airlines took it to Sandspit and from there it went to a rehab place near Vancouver.

He was pretty easy to handle and didn't flap much with a broken wing, so we had little trouble getting him ready to ship.

He doesn't seem happy here though.

Boxed Eagle.jpg

Take care.

manbearpig

Duke status
May 11, 2009
in the bathroom
Wrestling with the problem of whether to drop in on some kook is common with surfers, but how many of you have boxed an Eagle?

I have.

This is from 1986 at Eden Lake in what was called the Queen Charlotte Islands then, Haida Gwaii these days, and the Eagle had been hit by the bunk stake on a logging truck because it was full of deer meat from a road-kill and slow to get out of the way.

I and another guy boxed it up and the local airlines took it to Sandspit and from there it went to a rehab place near Vancouver.

He was pretty easy to handle and didn't flap much with a broken wing, so we had little trouble getting him ready to ship.

He doesn't seem happy here though.

View attachment 103941

Take care.
That’s awesome. A few weeks ago I was working aloft in a tree, just shy of 100’, when a bald eagle flew right past me. We see them more and more in the winter.

Reactions: Hump

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
Found this old photo of a big fat Black bear we encountered on the Muchalat River, trib to the Gold, while on a fishing trip there back in the 90's.

I chased this guy away from the tail-out of the pool he was "fishing" in so we could walk up and try it ourselves.

I'd done the same thing a year previously to this same bear and was confident he'd move when I approached him and threw some rocks in the water near him while hooting and hollering and generally making lots of ruckus.

I was correct and he moved away into the bush no problem.

Returning downstream we encountered him sitting next to some Alders, waiting for us to bugger off.

He was in great shape.

View attachment 103940

Take care.
What if he grows up and becomes a manbear and the next time you see him he decides, fuk that, this time I'm chasing them out? Grrrrrr......

• Haha
Reactions: keenfish and Hump

Hump

Phil Edwards status
Jan 10, 2002
Vancouver Island
Here's a today video of some Orcas in the harbor at Ucluelet up to something involving tearing some other critter apart, judging by the birds hovering around.
Pay attention or forward to the 12:00 minute mark and watch one of the birds and its interaction followed by a re-run in slo-mo.

Take care.

keenfish

Duke status
May 12, 2002
Trona
www.pbase.com
A good friend of mines family owns a ranch in Wyoming that they have turned into a wildlife refuge.
It's about 1000 acres on the Wind River just outside of Crowheart but it is surrounded by 10,000 acres of Indian Reservation land and it is unpopulated so the game they have on the land is unreal.
Here is a photo that Rusty the ranch hand emailed a couple of days ago.
He has game cams all over the property but this one is a cell phone photo of a mountain lion cruising along the riverbank in the tall grass.
I just thought it was a cool shot so wanted to share it.
I've been there only once years ago but it is amazing Country.

_____

Phil Edwards status
Sep 17, 2012
Kelly7873 ~ I'm not sure if ElOgro can communicate in Latin. "Latino Viper" would have been sufficient enought ~
Cantil. Yeah, you pretty much don't want to get bitten by that thing. A guy I worked with from Oaxaca would say something about those, "one snake in Oaxaca, bite you" and then he'd make a karate chop motion on his arm meaning they sometimes cut it off. "Really?", "yess whey'".

Bud

Nep status
Apr 20, 2001
Oahu
www.808surfer.com
Nice critters Bud!
Love the mongoose and that is a big male rat. Good kitty! :shaka:
Thanks Keen! Always been a dog people but that is the best low maintenance cat ever (raised with my dogs). Had her fixed as a kitten, comes and goes as she pleases through the doggie door. Sleeps in the garage and brings us good kine presents. I think this one was a little too big to chew up

Reactions: keenfish

johnson7

Nep status
Sep 29, 2016
What species/type of snake is that?

A "Lake Erie" watersnake, apparently not to long ago the species was endangered, but I'd say their population has rebounded quite nicely. I've never seen so many water snakes in my life!! My son thought he'd died and gone to heaven, we must've caught 50 snakes that afternoon. A really cool looking snake, kind of heavy bodied, and at a quick glance they do have a bit of viper looking head. I could see them getting mistaken for a water moccasin, by someone who wasn't familiar.

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
A "Lake Erie" watersnake, apparently not to long ago the species was endangered, but I'd say their population has rebounded quite nicely. I've never seen so many water snakes in my life!! My son thought he'd died and gone to heaven, we must've caught 50 snakes that afternoon. A really cool looking snake, kind of heavy bodied, and at a quick glance they do have a bit of viper looking head. I could see them getting mistaken for a water moccasin, by someone who wasn't familiar.
I was going to post something along those lines. Head shape, thiccc, shorter body....

Here are a few more photos from around the ranch property.
I've got my bid in to be the Ranch Bosses replacement or assistant.
John Dutton can suck it. ;)

???????????????????????

That thing looks like a spotted hyena or some sh!t. Or an ocelot? WTF lives in North America and looks like that?