Official Bird & Nature Post

keenfish

Duke status
May 12, 2002
Trona
www.pbase.com
Beautiful capture!
Are you still in NB? Wondering where most of your sightings take place.
Hi abalone! :waving:

Yes, still in dirty ole west newport.

These days I mostly go to Fairview and Talbert Park and hike the trails down below along the Santa Ana River. There's a lot of wildlife in the flood plain area and not a lot of humans which is nice. I also make it over to Bolsa Chica in the back pond area. That place always has something going on.
That was a really cool Owl photo you posted. I still haven't got a good one of those.
Where are you posted up these days?
Good to see you here. :)

ghostshaper

Phil Edwards status
Jan 22, 2005
Kites do the same pseudo perching thing as kestrels when they're hunting. Awesome for a big bird. Didn't know they had red eyes. Great photo!

Reactions: keenfish

abalone

Michael Peterson status
Jan 16, 2002
Yes, still in dirty ole west newport.
Where are you posted up these days?
I'm overlooking Upper Newport Bay (back bay), south side, not far from my old high school. Sweet view of the nature preserve and bay, but directly under the flight path. Actually love the location and watching the tides, the kayakers and SUPers, the birds, coyotes, and bunnies, pretending we aren't in the middle of congested southern California.

:cheers:

keenfish

Duke status
May 12, 2002
Trona
www.pbase.com
I'm overlooking Upper Newport Bay (back bay), south side, not far from my old high school. Sweet view of the nature preserve and bay, but directly under the flight path. Actually love the location and watching the tides, the kayakers and SUPers, the birds, coyotes, and bunnies, pretending we aren't in the middle of congested southern California.

:cheers:
Didn't realize you were back in town. Nice and nice spot to be posted up too. :cheers:

Jul 1, 2020
New South Wales Sydney
Guys, have you ever wondered how much sleep do birds need? Doing my research I have found that they need ten hours of uninterrupted sleep every night. So, I don't understand why my parrot makes a lot of noise during the night, if it needs to feel ok the next day. I started to cover three sides of the cage, in order to make him aware of sleeping. It seems like it's working. My neighbor has bought for his bird, a bed. Wow, for me, it sounds too strange.

Last edited:

keenfish

Duke status
May 12, 2002
Trona
www.pbase.com
Guys, have you ever wondered how much sleep do birds need?
I have thought about where do Hummingbirds sleep. It's actually interesting if you search it. They go into a state of coma or hibernation kind of state during the night.
The ones that perch in my yard during the day are not on the same perch after dark so not sure where they go to catch winks.
I think most birds just roost up for the night when the sun goes down and wake up and do it all again when the sun comes up the next day.
Kind of like me only different. I don't go to sleep until I'm in a different kind of coma.

• Haha
Reactions: Joshua2415

PPK96754

Miki Dora status
Apr 15, 2015
Kauai's north shore ~
Well the Blue fronted Amazon parrot that I have goes to sleep when I toss the XL sheet over it in the evening and wakes up when I rip it off every morning ......
but the friggin dog thinks that he has a say so
and hops up on the bed and dive bombs me

Pay back from the animal kingdom is hell .... :roflmao: