Official Bird & Nature Post

JBerry

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 8, 2017
Took a day trip to Sant Cruz Island Saturday where we Hiked 10 miles and got to see many Island Foxes, huge pods of common dolphins, and a couple whales in the channel. Pretty epic day!
island fox.jpg
2 whales2.jpg
dos dolphins.jpg
excuse the poor picture quality....
Dolphins were putting on a show! Thousands all jumping and racing the boat, lots of babies too! Not every day you get to see a couple of whales either! Foxes are strange out there. They are apparently part of the dog family, but act like cats.
cool to see as well!

~rwright~

Michael Peterson status
Apr 14, 2015
Los Angeles~California!
As i've taken 3 wounded gulls to the west l.a. animal shelter,
well i sometimes wonder if this bird is 1 of 'em, all fixed up, tagged + now free to roam:
:

it's 1 of my favorites birds,
likes to visit me when it sees me ah, eatin',
here, there or over yonder when i look for sharks to jump...
I just know it's squakin, sayin': "ya gotz a snack for me, rw?"

But this particular mornin', this early day,
i had no snack to share, as the sun beat down upon my tat'ed back
as i scanned thee waters off Los Angeles lookin' for another jumpin' shark.
Another time, my friend, 'nother time...
:cool:

Last edited:

_____

Phil Edwards status
Sep 17, 2012
A place near home. In the mornings these turkey buzzards line up on the fence posts. Still haven't gotten a pic of all of them spreading their wings but they do it regularly and get spooked when I get too close or make too much movement. Sometimes about a dozen or so will line up in a row with no empty posts. I need a camera with a remote.

buzzards.jpg

_____

Phil Edwards status
Sep 17, 2012
My cat just caught a bat. Little mouse with wings. Killed it.
2 feral cats. I can't get within 20 feet of one and 50 feet of the other. They eat more mice, birds, rabbits, gophers than the cat food I feed them once per week. One of them caught and ate a bird of prey recently, either a red tail hawk or a falcon. There were feathers all over the place. They often cruise around at night and somehow manage to outsmart the coyotes, and they are all over the place around here.

Reactions: ~rwright~