Official Bird & Nature Post

Hump

Phil Edwards status
Jan 10, 2002
Vancouver Island
While it's well documented that Deer swim from island to island around here, it's not every day they swim when a transient Orca, T124C, aka Cooper is swimming by. A member of the transients that frequent our area and are the mammal eaters, perhaps he wasn't in the mood for venison this day.

OrcaTrannyDeer.jpg

Here's a cropped version. They were pretty close together.

OrcaDeerCropped.jpg

Take care

Photos from Pacific Whale Watch Association

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
Backyard yesterday afternoon, a juvenile hawk decided to get cleaned up. I crawled on hands and knees from the dining room with the pocket camera, through the kitchen, to the breakfast nook, peeped up to get a shot through the window, managed to get one in-focus photo, then it saw the movement and flew up to the wire, where I got the 2nd in-focus photo.

Am unsure what type of juvenile hawk this is, but will guess it is a Red-shouldered Hawk based on the hint of red on the shoulders in the birdbath image.....just a guess though, so, any other guessers?

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
My backyard has a poured-in-place concrete "design element" from the early 1930's.

Long have I wanted it removed, but, well, that is a lot of concrete to dig out...concrete birdbath on concrete pedestal in concrete (raccoon) pool (about 6 ft across, 3 ft deep, and 4 inch thick sides.

Sweetie-pie took initiative and made a refilling feature with some leftover plumbing materials. No longer do I need to use a hose, just flip a switch, and the recirculating pump fills it right up.

Reactions: Joshua2415

Hump

Phil Edwards status
Jan 10, 2002
Vancouver Island
Kate Woods is an artist and photographer living at Sooke, on south Vancouver Island.
With the recent very low tides she ventured out to Port Renfrew and the nearby Botanical Beach tidal pools.
Here's a couple photos of them.

KateWoodsPinkTidalPool.jpg

KateWoodsTidalPool.jpg

Encountered this healthy looking black bear leaving the beach. It looks like it has been in the water recently to my eyes.
KateWoodsBlackBear.jpg

For a tiny little swell this is an inspiring show of power. LOL Not much surf here right now.

KateWoodsSprayWave.jpg

Take care.

r32

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 1, 2005
Cambria
Hiking just outside Yosemite this weekend on lesser known trail to some waterfalls above Bass Lake. Most water I've ever seen in that area. Waterfalls were roaring. Narrow areas of the river looked like water was being shot out of canon. Moving incredibly fast. Violent rapids and whirlpools of death all over the place. And water was probably in 40d range, quite freezing.

Trail was mostly cleared except one off shoot that was destroyed by falling trees this winter. And another part of trail which got flooded by the river expanding.

Shot some vid but not sure how to upload as I don't use Yt.

IMG_4553.jpg

IMG_4522.jpg

Water trough on the upper right is about 10' tall. Water is collected there, and then funneled into multiple pipes that flow down stream to the Bass Lake community for use.

IMG_4557.jpg