Official Bird & Nature Post

keenfish

Duke status
May 12, 2002
Trona
www.pbase.com
Thought this capture of a Cougar just starting its leap was pretty cool.
Not sure who took the pic but I see a watermark or whatever they are called on it.
Kudos.

View attachment 151395

Take care,
He's not starting to leap he's just extending out to get a better look at the hikers coming his way and then he will plan his attack. :)

Hump

Phil Edwards status
Jan 10, 2002
Vancouver Island
Sniped this from a Facebook post but foolishly neglected to pursue the photographer's name.
Duh. Sorry.
The story with the photo was that the Eagle was just chasing the Heron away from its nest that had eggs in it and wasn't trying to kill it, as it apparently had several opportunities to do so, but didn't.

Neat photo and won some award for the photographer.
HeronEagle.jpg

Take care.

r32

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 1, 2005
Cambria
Drove over to Carrizo Plain today. Superbloom in effect.

Ranger said next week they expect the bloom to peak. Soda Lake is full.

Yellow and orange were most dominant colors, but tons of purple, and some rare light blue flower, some pink, violet, and ultra rare pale yellow ones.

Crowds weren't bad.

IMG_4189.jpg

IMG_4179.jpg
IMG_4149.jpg

I was mind surfing this one.

IMG_4100.jpg

Soda Lake looking east towards San Andreas Fault on opposite side.

IMG_4133.jpg

IMG_4134.jpg

Last edited:

keenfish

Duke status
May 12, 2002
Trona
www.pbase.com
Incredible! Thank you for posting these photos.

My hike around Fairview Park looked similar but not nearly as spectacular.

I'm kind of kidding but Talbert Park down below Fairview is lit right now like I have never seen it before.

This is going to be a big year all around when it comes to flora and fauna.

Reactions: Joshua2415 and r32

r32

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 1, 2005
Cambria
Incredible! Thank you for posting these photos.

My hike around Fairview Park looked similar but not nearly as spectacular.

I'm kind of kidding but Talbert Park down below Fairview is lit right now like I have never seen it before.

This is going to be a big year all around when it comes to flora and fauna.
No cell coverage. But they had nice portapotties at Soda Lake overlook and at Visitors Center.

Note, painted rock in the park is closed from March 1 to July 1 for protection of nature n sh!t. It's got some really old paintings. Thought to be a religious site for Native Americans and it has some cool drawings on it. Yokut and Chumash used to trade in the area.

Guided tours only I think?

1680498853021.png

Hump

Phil Edwards status
Jan 10, 2002
Vancouver Island
According to our local whale watching group there were 18 individual Orcas heading north yesterday past Campbell River.
Top two pics are from yesterday and the Orcas are Biggs transients, or mammal eaters.
The bottom pic is from Juan de Fuca near Sooke and show two bulls that are residents, or salmon eaters.
Note difference in dorsal fins from the transients. Yesterday the transients were headed north with a purpose it seemed.

.OrcasNorthbound2.jpg

OrcasNorthboundNotchFinBro.jpg

OrcaTwinFin.jpg

Take care.

abalone

Michael Peterson status
Jan 16, 2002
Top two pics are from yesterday and the Orcas are Biggs transients, or mammal eaters.
The bottom pic is from Juan de Fuca near Sooke and show two bulls that are residents, or salmon eaters.
Note difference in dorsal fins from the transients. Yesterday the transients were headed north with a purpose it seemed.
Beautiful pics, Hump! I thought the larger dorsals are male orca, while the shorter, curved ones are female. Are you saying it's based on their food source?

Hump

Phil Edwards status
Jan 10, 2002
Vancouver Island
View attachment 151931
Beautiful pics, Hump! I thought the larger dorsals are male orca, while the shorter, curved ones are female. Are you saying it's based on their food source?
Look at the last two pics in my post and you'll see the difference, as all three fins are from males.
The single fin with the notch in it is a transient, mammal eater and they seem to have slightly stockier dorsal fins than those in the bottom photo of the two Bull resident Orcas. Here they are called Southern Resident Killer Whales or SRKW for short and the Federal government here has been mucking around with different sport fishing areas trying to ensure a good supply of Chinook (King to you) salmon for them to feed on.
Lots of consternation here as long established fishing areas are being closed or curtailed and that has an adverse effect on the recreational fishing industry here and so on.

Don't know why the fins differ somewhat but agility and the ability to turn quickly while pursuing a salmon might play into it, evolutionarily speaking.

Take care.

Aquaman2

Michael Peterson status
Apr 17, 2008
Socal
fineartamerica.com
There is a park near me where there are squirrels in the trees that are unafraid of people. I take my basketball and soccer ball there to shoot baskets or bounce my soccer ball off a brick wall next to a grassy area and practice penalty kicks. I tried bringing a tray with peanuts in the shell and set the tray out for the squirrels. Last time a group of about 6 crows found the peanuts. Crows blocked the squirrels from getting at the peanuts while the other crows feasted.

keenfish

Duke status
May 12, 2002
Trona
www.pbase.com
Earlier this winter I was diving up Seashore on my way to PCH to go to work.
It's a slow road with pedestrians (surfers/dog walkers) crossing so I was only going about 15-20.
Up ahead I saw 3 crows in the middle of the road eating something but they always fly away before you get to them so I didn't even think twice about slowing down.
The two flew off seconds before I got to them but the one with it's back to me took off a little too late and I caught him on the front grill and he bounced up and over the front of my car.
I immediately looking in my rear view and saw him flopping on the ground and the two other crows were already on him and attacking him.
Crows are smart but also opportunists and very brutal.

Reactions: Joshua2415 and npsp

Black

OTF status
Jan 1, 2015
UK
There is a park near me where there are squirrels in the trees that are unafraid of people. I take my basketball and soccer ball there to shoot baskets or bounce my soccer ball off a brick wall next to a grassy area and practice penalty kicks. I tried bringing a tray with peanuts in the shell and set the tray out for the squirrels. Last time a group of about 6 crows found the peanuts. Crows blocked the squirrels from getting at the peanuts while the other crows feasted.
Over the road from me is a tree with a hollow which jackdaws nest in every year. There are two entrances. One year a squirrel tried to set up home there. The jackdaws worked as a team mercilessly pestering the squirrel every day. One from the front entrance and one from the back entrance (hey stop those thoughts) even using sticks to poke it. The squirrel eventually left and the jackdaws made their usual nest there.