Official Bird & Nature Post

Hump

Phil Edwards status
Jan 10, 2002
Vancouver Island
Can't recall if I've ever posted these before, so here they are.
From 1987 to 1990 I lived at Sandspit up in what's now called Haida Gwaii, and I fished a lot.
These are Coho salmon and the river is the Deena, on Moresby Island.
I thought I did ok, getting two jumps captured from this one fish while holding the rod with one hand and photographing with the other.
Old Minolta Weathermatic camera.

CohoLeapDeena.jpg

CohoLeapDeena2.jpg

Some of those Coho fight like crazy.
Love'em.

Take care.

surf-shot.com

Nep status
Feb 10, 2008
www.surf-shot.com
. . . Really cool to watch their interactions . . . He catches fish for her, and entices her to move off the eggs so he can get some time with the babies . . .
Different species of raptors do variations on this nesting behavior. Here the male peregrine falcon catches a dove and hands it off, still alive, to the female in midair. Sometimes the male will kill a larger prey (like a pigeon or a gull) and eat the head before handing the rest over to mom. If the eggs have already hatched, the female will pluck the feathers off the prey and tear off pieces for the fledglings. After the kids have fledged, the parents will dangle live prey to teach them to chase birds in the air. 80% of raptors don’t live to see their first birthday and learning to catch and kill their own food is the biggest hurdle to survival.

https://flic.kr/p/2ofGRWY

Last edited:

Hump

Phil Edwards status
Jan 10, 2002
Vancouver Island
Finally encountered old friend Karen Wasilenchuk on the Tyee Spit yesterday. She was looking for suitably photogenic subjects to photograph, so I told her my pet Heron, Hank, was fishing at the mouth of Nunn's Creek and accompanied her to the spot.
With years of experience gained from sneaking up on critters to photograph, she quickly moved in as close as she dared, using the available cover, but once in place noted the light wasn't good, as Hank was half in shadow and half in light, standing where he originally was. The Sun was sinking off to the right.
Fortunately, Hank spotted something, made a stealthy move towards the edge of the channel, crouched, stalked then struck and came up with a wriggling catch. His move brought him into slightly better light and Karen's photo of that event is on here, and really an excellent capture.
Here she is, already in position, and you can see Hank down the channel. Lots of Ducks around also. They seem to like bathing in the fresh water coming down the creek. Great to see her again and she really does have an excellent eye, as they say.
This is about 200 feet from my place and a favorite spot to fish for Sea-run Cutthroat trout that move in to feed on salmon fry coming down the creek.

DSCN7640.JPG

HeronGoodCatchKaren.jpg

Take care.

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
A few moments ago out the front window between bouts of dumping rain, graupel, blustery gusts, lightning/thunder, and misty drizzle, snapped this Western Bluebird. While a crappy photo with pocket camera on 10x zoom on 'airplane' mode (which allows for slightly better focus when shooting through glass), better to get a shot than not at all (I say this for all my crappy shots). See these at the mother-in-law's place in Sonoma County all the time as well as the friends' places in the East Bay. First time I've seen one in my neighborhood.

1677524511130.png

PS
Saw my first Cedar Waxwings migrating two weekends ago, alas, no photos of them feasting on some ornamental shrub that has (poisonous to humans) orange berries on them....some kind of pyracantha.

Last edited: