Official Bird & Nature Post

keenfish

Duke status
May 12, 2002
Trona
www.pbase.com
That's why there are boats like this in the NorthEast:

Yessir! That's how they commercially fish them out West here also.

Pilikia is my favorite local stick boat and it's owned by the owners of Bluewater Grill restaurants. She's a beauty.

They have their own spotter plane too and the pilot @airpilikia has a pretty cool insta with aerial photos of the sea life he sees when he's out spotting.

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
That's why there are boats like this in the NorthEast:

When I had my boat, the guy at the end of the dock had one of those. He explained to me he hired a plane spotter. It sounded expensive but he said if he didn't do that he could spend weeks at sea and not find a fish. Instead, with the spotter it was a matter of days. And one fish would fetch him a few thousand dollars distributed to the local restaurants.

H ewas the same guy who would sometimes come back with mako shark and give me some filets, with the caveat to eat tham that night because mako doesn't keep. When you ate it fresh like that it was hard to tell apart from swordfish.

Reactions: surf-shot.com

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
When I had my boat, the guy at the end of the dock had one of those. He explained to me he hired a plane spotter. It sounded expensive but he said if he didn't do that he could spend weeks at sea and not find a fish. Instead, with the spotter it was a matter of days. And one fish would fetch him a few thousand dollars distributed to the local restaurants.

H ewas the same guy who would sometimes come back with mako shark and give me some filets, with the caveat to eat tham that night because mako doesn't keep. When you ate it fresh like that it was hard to tell apart from swordfish.
I have a neighbor who flies as a fish spotter in a Cessna 150. Its a pretty good gig. They pay his expenses for the plane and he gets a percentage of the haul as if he were crew on board the boat. Its a win all around for him as it builds his hours while paying the expenses and sometimes making a nice paycheck.

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
In the high res version of this shot you can see my house and my neighbor's house pretty clearly in the reflection off his eyeball.

View attachment 133243
Give one of your guns and I'll shoot that thing for you. Fkkers eat all our fruit. Except the plums. I figure it's the sour skins that turn them off those. But our figs, peaches, apricots and grapes are devoured. And not only thatm but they are fkkin transplants from the East Coast.

:cursing:

Reactions: surf-shot.com

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
flying foxes eat fruit. One of the partners that owned Kandui resort had one. sweetest thing. Like a small dog.
Sweetest thing. Like a small dog. Till it tastes human and tears out your trachea in the middle of the night.

• Haha
Reactions: keenfish