Official Bird & Nature Post

kelly7873

Nep status
Jan 20, 2002
Honolulu
For the next month, if you have clear skies, decent binoculars and a way to steady the view, look SE around 9:30 PM, approximately at 45 degree angle up, and look for the brightest "star" you can see.

It is Jupiter. With steady hands, you should be able to see specks next to it, these are the four Galilean moons like this...Jupiter moons are 2 on each side of the bright spot which is Jupiter itself:View attachment 116648
The moons of Jupiter move fast. Io takes less than 2 days to make a complete orbit, Europa about 3.5 days. Back before they had accurate clocks to determine their longitude sailors could use the observations of Jupiter's moons to find the time. Of course it was nearly impossible to observe the moons from the deck of a pitching ship but Capt. Cook did use the method to map the locations of islands that he found.
Back in my younger days I would try to spot the moons just wearing my glasses. I would guess where I thought I could see them and then confirm with binos. I would be right about half the time.

Joshua2415

Tom Curren status
Jul 18, 2005
San Clemente
I've been hearing and seeing this little guy up in the neighborhood telephone poles off and on over the last year but have never been able to get a decent picture of him. I heard him this morning knocking away as I was out watering and then I saw him in one of my orange trees. My daughter has been calling him Wendel, the neighborhood Nuttall's woodpecker.