Official Bird & Nature Post

PPK96754

Miki Dora status
Apr 15, 2015
Kauai's north shore ~
Sadly, we found a dead one in our water fountain Saturday morning. First time in 20 years of owning bird fountains that we've discovered a dead bird in it. I drained and flushed the fountain, then refilled it and the birds have returned. Anyone ever have this happen?
Maybe, it was just his or her's time ~ None the less, your willingness to entertainer more birds speaks highly of your appreciation ~ :cheers:

Reactions: keenfish

SteveT

Phil Edwards status
Apr 11, 2005
Hiked to this glacial lake in Alaska last week (Harlequin Lake) The rain forest is straight out of the Hobbit.
IMG_0774.jpgIMG_0771.jpg

Packed an inflatable kayak in and paddled around the icebergs (those are the wives)
IMG_0782.jpg

Came across this guy on the way home standing on the side of the road

IMG_0792.jpg

This Eagle nest has been here for years and is used anually
The first time I saw it 7 years ago a mother swooped in with a big pink salmon in her talons for a hugry group of fledglings.
It's much bigger than it looks in the pic, it's the size of a large couch.

IMG_0769.jpg

Hump

Phil Edwards status
Jan 10, 2002
Vancouver Island
For those of you who fish for salmon, here's the link to my annual thread on one of my fishing sites you might enjoy.

Somehow I've developed a fan club which is somewhat humbling as I'm just a hack who likes to "talk story", but it is nice to get some positive feedback when you write stories and such. Ask any writer.

Anyway, hope you enjoy this.

Take care.
Bumped for end of season conclusions.

Take care.

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
Last week my son and I did a midnight run out to Kaena Pt, trying to escape light pollution and first attempts at long exposure Milky Way photos. We learned a lot and expect to get better results next time. That's him on the rocks wearing a headlamp
View attachment 116268
(y)

Looks like an alien.

Is the color in the Milky Way something only cameras pick up? I've gazed upon the MIlky Way in the High Sierras and the Utah desert and have never seen colors.

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
You can tell Mars is reddish, right? Or when you look at Orion, you can see the difference in the light from one shoulder to the other? You can tell Jupiter is golden and not white (at 9 PM you can see it plainly enough....here is a decent star map link)?

Easier to see colors in stars with binoculars. Also, takes about 20 or so minutes for eyes to fully dilate which will further help see colors. Usually in low light situations, the eye/brain turns up the contrast functionality.

But the easy way around this is with longer exposures on cameras, or sometimes better depending on the sensor, stacking multiple shorter exposures.

Reactions: surf-shot.com

ghostshaper

Phil Edwards status
Jan 22, 2005
(y)

Looks like an alien.

Is the color in the Milky Way something only cameras pick up? I've gazed upon the MIlky Way in the High Sierras and the Utah desert and have never seen colors.
No, you need to get further away from light pollution. Went on a field trip w the astronomy club at wife's school to Amboy crater. Certified dark spot. Insane milky way swath I've never seen. About 10 big scopes setup. One NASA employee had a scope needing a ladder to reach the eyepiece. She let my groms have a look. Super cool. Would love to go back sometime soon.

@Joshua2415, friend studied those in grad school. Subtidal kelp forest habitat w a warmer water range. Must've washed in from last swell. Lithopoma undosum, might have undergone a genus change by now. Aka wavalone.

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
For the next month, if you have clear skies, decent binoculars and a way to steady the view, look SE around 9:30 PM, approximately at 45 degree angle up, and look for the brightest "star" you can see.

It is Jupiter. With steady hands, you should be able to see specks next to it, these are the four Galilean moons like this...Jupiter moons are 2 on each side of the bright spot which is Jupiter itself:1632346597191.png