Official Bird & Nature Post

Bud

Nep status
Apr 20, 2001
Oahu
www.808surfer.com
Java finch (Padda oryzivora)
Great shots Bud, what did you shoot them with?
Thanks Kelly I enjoy shooting birds in my backyard and I'm lucky to live near a wooded ravine, the java Sparrows I never even knew about until I noticed them started hanging around a few years ago. I'm shooting with Sony a7III, and for birds I usually use my 200-600. here's another more detail, female northern cardinal

keenfish

Duke status
May 12, 2002
Trona
www.pbase.com
Thanks Kelly I enjoy shooting birds in my backyard and I'm lucky to live near a wooded ravine, the java Sparrows I never even knew about until I noticed them started hanging around a few years ago. I'm shooting with Sony a7III, and for birds I usually use my 200-600. here's another more detail, female northern cardinal
WOW! Incredible detail and color right there Bud!
I think I need to upgrade to a Sony mirrorless set up. Impressive! (y)

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
I can't compete with the levels of clarity above but what the hell. Took the family to Pt. Reyes yesterday, hiking through the Tule Elk Reserve to the tip of Tomales Point and back. Saw several herds of elk along the way.

1630958850796.jpeg

1630958865979.jpeg

Towards evening, was getting really foggy, turned the corner and saw a herd of at least a few dozen practically next to us. They were definitely giving us the hairy eyeball. Not pictured is big bull just out of view keeping an eye on his harem. Definitely rutting season hahaha.

1630959092171.jpeg

10 mile hike all told; relatively mellow elevation-wise but damn proud of both my 8 and 6 year old muscling through it the whole way. :jamon:

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
I can't compete with the levels of clarity above but what the hell. Took the family to Pt. Reyes yesterday, hiking through the Tule Elk Reserve to the tip of Tomales Point and back. Saw several herds of elk along the way.

View attachment 115834

View attachment 115836

Towards evening, was getting really foggy, turned the corner and saw a herd of at least a few dozen practically next to us. They were definitely giving us the hairy eyeball. Not pictured is big bull just out of view keeping an eye on his harem. Definitely rutting season hahaha.

View attachment 115840

10 mile hike all told; relatively mellow elevation-wise but damn proud of both my 8 and 6 year old muscling through it the whole way. :jamon:
I'd trade my expensive tack sharp camera gear and go back to a point and shoot to get that close to elk.

Reactions: Kento and keenfish

keenfish

Duke status
May 12, 2002
Trona
www.pbase.com

View attachment 115834

View attachment 115836

View attachment 115840

That is super cool Kento! Did not even know there was Elk there. Great photos buddy! :shaka:

Reactions: Kento

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
That is super cool Kento! Did not even know there was Elk there. Great photos buddy! :shaka:
Thanks! At first saw just a few here and there but towards evening when crowd started lessening, they were a lot less bashful about being near the trail. Bugling away too. Really awesome and was stocked to see that.

Water getting really low everywhere though. Need rain badly.

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
Through the rear window to the juvenile hawk in the birdbath.

This (clearest) shot taken with me on my knees, barely getting the camera above the sill. Hawk seems to notice the movement of the pocket camera.
1631034842353.png

A day later, the hawk is back, but this time I am standing (still shooting through the rear window), and it is facing away from me. Appears to be same juvenile hawk.
1631034875720.png

Oh, the same dusty greenish sparrow sized birdie I saw in spring is back. Migration season has started!

Woke AF

Tom Curren status
Jul 29, 2009
Southern Tip, Norcal
Through the rear window to the juvenile hawk in the birdbath.

This (clearest) shot taken with me on my knees, barely getting the camera above the sill. Hawk seems to notice the movement of the pocket camera.
View attachment 115875

A day later, the hawk is back, but this time I am standing (still shooting through the rear window), and it is facing away from me. Appears to be same juvenile hawk.
View attachment 115876

Oh, the same dusty greenish sparrow sized birdie I saw in spring is back. Migration season has started!
Did you hear about the guy who used to run along the Great Hwy with a parrot on his shoulder?
A couple of weeks ago a hawk swooped down removed the parrot and flew away. The runner chased after both of them to no avail.:eek:

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
Whoa, really?

Had not heard that, but twice so far in the last 20+ years, have seen a Red-tail Hawk swoop down and nab a pocket gopher from the green verge as I was pulling off the wetsuit. Those hawks seem most habituated to humans and often set up shop on the street lights. Heck, if I had a small purse dog, I don't know if I'd let it run around off leash when the hawks are there.

1631039083536.png