*** Official Billabong Pro Pipeline Contest Thread ***

TangTonic

Nep status
Feb 24, 2011
I love Braden's smile in this pic.

Brings me back to my youth. I was 14 and so impressionable. Andy and Bruce were like gods. Surf mags were still a thing and online surf forecasting was just a mumble. Parents also still frowned at you when you said all you want to do is hang at the beach all day ery day.

Reactions: mundus

sponge

Tom Curren status
Feb 10, 2002
Honolulu, HI, USA
Visit site
I love Braden's smile in this pic.

Brings me back to my youth. I was 14 and so impressionable. Andy and Bruce were like gods. Surf mags were still a thing and online surf forecasting was just a mumble. Parents also still frowned at you when you said all you want to do is hang at the beach all day ery day.
Andy Irons, Tracks, 1992. Even at just 14 years old he was showing flashes of brilliance.

AndyIrons_Tracks_1992_900.jpg

sponge

Tom Curren status
Feb 10, 2002
Honolulu, HI, USA
Visit site
Is the comp doomed? Forecast is shitious.
As you know conditions are dictated by Mother Nature, and conditions can be epic or horrible. In 1988 Robbie Page won the "Ehukai Masters." Still better than a wave pool I feel.

One more. Here's Occy at the 2007 Pipeline Masters in his last event/heat as a pro. Sucks to end a career that way, but that's life.

071214_05.jpg

Northern_Shores

Miki Dora status
Mar 30, 2009
As you know conditions are dictated by Mother Nature, and conditions can be epic or horrible. In 1988 Robbie Page won the "Ehukai Masters." Still better than a wave pool I feel.

One more. Here's Occy at the 2007 Pipeline Masters in his last event/heat as a pro. Sucks to end a career that way, but that's life.

View attachment 147662
Thank you for not answering my question :)

npsp

Miki Dora status
Dec 30, 2003
down the hill and to the right
Visit site
:shameonyou:

You're doing it wrong bru! That would have worked for the old format, but we're in a new era now.

If he makes it to Chopes, he's already on tour next year.

You need to pick him for Margaret's........when he needs to jump 17 spots to make the cut AND make it back on tour the following season.

View attachment 147513
Yes, that is now the way to go. Making a note to select Jaddy for Margaret River.

Reactions: jkb

SurfMission

Gerry Lopez status
Apr 13, 2009
Wasn't that the year Chuy Reyna made the final? I think I remember watching that on Wide World of Sports- which was awesome because you never got to watch surfing back then outside of video tapes.

Reactions: tenover

mundus

Duke status
Feb 26, 2018
Is it me or does the WSL have bad karma with the surf, I mean they got skunked in Indo during prime season FFS.