*** Official Backpacking Thread ***

crustBrother

Kelly Slater status
Apr 23, 2001
What if you hike miles in to a spot, set up camp, and wade up a river and explore creeks flyfishing for 4-6 hours? Lug your regular pack with you while you fish? I gotta carry water, sunscreen, energy bars etc and some misc supplies. These things get as light as 2oz.
can totally see how you'd want a daypack with you for something like that

i haven't brought a fishing rig with me on a backpacking trip since 1987 but i have a little handline kit i put together that will fit in my pocket and am looking forward to trying it out on my next trip

used to fish a LOT so its sort of bizarre to me that i've let that fall completely out of my backpacking agenda

really looking forward to turning over rocks next to the creek and drifting whatever bugs i find there down into a shallow hole

or sinking some powerbait down to the bottom of a lake

:roflmao:

"like school in summertime.... no class!"

:monkey:

Last edited:

Bayview

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 21, 2009
NJ
Is trail etiquette a thing anymore?

feels like theres more and more shenanigans. had a near miss today that could have been ugly.

kinda like sliding down frozen water, folks stopping all over the place, no “on your left/right”, etc etc

get off my porch, eom

SeaFoamGreen

Gerry Lopez status
Apr 10, 2009
NorOR
My new Gregory came with a small ultra lightweight summit bag, which holds the water bladder I mentioned above. Holds my small tackle box and 1st aid kit and water when doing day hikes. Typically to other lakes to fish or up to surrounding peaks. I know some of you guys are all about uber light weight and end up reengineering you gear a bit to find a perfect medium, but I don't mind the extra padding, back ventilation, and bells and whistles. Not doing though hiking and mostly 6 to 8 in and day hikes from there. Also for fish while I typically use spinners, and dry flys on a bobber, certainly not afraid to throw out some rainbow glitter. Native brookies and cuttys can be real finicky, but will bite when ya bomb em with the ole power bait. Nothing like nailing a lunker no matter how you get it. All tastes the same when ya fry those bad boys up at camp. :p

OneBadShredda

Legend (inyourownmind)
Feb 11, 2002
Doing Mt. Langley in July...camp at Cottonwood lakes then summit. Thoughts on daypacks to bring with a backpack? I've been using a slightly overkill Osprey Talon 22 to do Baldy, then San Jacinto and San Gorgonio coming up...I use a hydration bag, but it seems no one uses those...?
REI Flash 18 might work for you. It works as a stuff sack also and is a good size for a summit pack, if you pack light.

Reactions: tsenn

tsenn

Billy Hamilton status
Feb 11, 2004
san diego
can totally see how you'd want a daypack with you for something like that

i haven't brought a fishing rig with me on a backpacking trip since 1987 but i have a little handline kit i put together that will fit in my pocket and am looking forward to trying it out on my next trip

used to fish a LOT so its sort of bizarre to me that i've let that fall completely out of my backpacking agenda

really looking forward to turning over rocks next to the creek and drifting whatever bugs i find there down into a shallow hole

or sinking some powerbait down to the bottom of a lake

:roflmao:

"like school in summertime.... no class!"

:monkey:
Ha! I'm going to bring my small Tenkara setup...see what happens...

Reactions: Aruka

crustBrother

Kelly Slater status
Apr 23, 2001

Icu812

Nep status
Jun 23, 2013
WEST of 101
Has anybody gone out of the Green Lake Trailhead up by Bridgeport? We got a permit for there for early August, never been in that area, looking for any intel for cool stuff, fishing, day hikes, etc.
Garnet Lake with Banner Peak and Mt. Ritter on the left.
IMGP1694.jpgetc.

crustBrother

Kelly Slater status
Apr 23, 2001
Looking down from Banner at (i think) Nydiver, Ediza, just-barely-the-edge-of-Iceberg-if-you-look-real-close, and Cecil.

That was back in 1988, but I still made sure to have the girl taking the pic point the camera southward just to make sure I didn't dox you in case you were time-traveling while snapping that pic of Ritter/Banner from Garnet.

1656548031455.png

Never gone out of Green Lake trailhead.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Mr Doof and Icu812

tenover

Kelly Slater status
Jan 17, 2003
Point Loma, CA
My wife and I got permits for Emerald Bay to Echo Lake in late July. It'll be my first backpacking adventure, can't wait. My wife does all kinds of long hikes(50-70 miles) along the PCT, so I feel like I'm in good hands. Been buying some gear this past week.

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
Heading down to SoCal in a few weeks; daughter is staying with my mom for a week and plan on using that time as a mini-vacation for me, part of which is hiking Gorgonio. Gotta get that last part of the 6-pack, right?

More of a hiking than backpacking question. Depending on how early I start and how quick I can get to the top, may try to do the loop and come down Momyer Creek trail. I know it's not as well traveled and is reportedly overgrown... have any of you used that trail recently? Is it bad? Will I pissed about having to climb over logs after hiking 20+ miles? :roflmao:

Thanks. Hiked Mt. Tamalpais from Stinson Beach on Sunday; extremely beautiful 17-18 mile hike, wife and kids drove up to top and brought food and beer. Score.

1656619507244.jpeg
Richmond Bridge and Mt. Diablo (for the very near future)

1656619712959.jpeg
Felt nice to get above the fog.

1656619800442.jpeg
Lookout Tower

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
Which trail from Stinson you go up?

Am partial to Steep Ravine trail, but the Matt Davis would quicker.
Went up Matt Davis and down Steep Ravine.

First mile or two was a little steep with the stairs, flattened out for a long time. That last part, Fern Creek Trail, going up was tough and it was exposed. Knew it was going to get steep because it looked kinda far at this point and it wasn't that many miles and... :roflmao:

1656624222647.jpeg

One of the better hikes I've done since moving up here. Taking out the 4 hour chill time at the top area, took a little over 6 hours roundtrip.

RemyXO

Michael Peterson status
Mar 12, 2003
San Luis Obispo
Those trails out there are absolutely beautiful. I've done the Dipsea trail from Mill Valley out to Stinson and back a couple times. My legs were dead the first time I did it. Although the french fries and beer I had at some greasy spoon in Stinson tasted so good, I'll never forgot that.

kool-aid

Michael Peterson status
Aug 28, 2003
San Francisco
Fern creek is one of my favorite trails. Very steep and rough towards the top.

If anyone ever needs Tam trail recommendations shoot me a message.

Packed last night to take off this evening for my Kennedy meadows (north) > Tuolumne > Kennedy meadows (north) 10 day (or less) trip. Temps are looking cold. Mosquitos are supposed to be very bad. Wish me luck!

IMG_0058.jpg