*** Official Backpacking Thread ***

kool-aid

Michael Peterson status
Aug 28, 2003
San Francisco
Leaving 7/1 to do 10 days in Emigrant and Yosemite. Kennedy Meadows to Tuolumne Meadows and back. That's 160 miles I think but shooting for 200 or something close to that. Bump box at Tuolumne means I can keep pack weight light. Shooting for 13LBS fully loaded. Should be possible... I have my base weight at 8LBS.

San Gabriel Valley local

Michael Peterson status
Nov 14, 2002
San Gabriel Valley, CA
I'm sold on the running vest style straps with bottle holders, and bottle pockets on the side of the pack. Here's a custom pack I ordered for extended day hikes (like Mt Whitney or San Gorgonio), designed to carry two 1L Smartwater bottles in the side pockets and two 700ml Smartwater bottles (with the sport caps) in the vest pockets:

http://instagr.am/p/CaktEglvySf/
On Mt Whitney I always filter water, I've seen wag bags, feces, and discarded shart filled undies near water sources and don't want to take any chances. For a day hike on the main trail I'll fill up all the bottles at Trailside Meadow which should get me to the summit and back down the switchbacks. With the bottle locations and the filter in the exterior pocket I can do the filtering efficiently without having to open the pack and reach inside.

Was super fit like a month ago but work has gotten in the way and that is screwing up my plans to train for another Whitney day hike. I've got a backpacking permit for the Shadow Creek trail later in the summer so will hopefully be able to do one or both.

I also like this approach because it balances the weight front to back

check this sh!t out:

Reactions: Iceman

kool-aid

Michael Peterson status
Aug 28, 2003
San Francisco
I'm sold on the running vest style straps with bottle holders, and bottle pockets on the side of the pack. Here's a custom pack I ordered for extended day hikes (like Mt Whitney or San Gorgonio), designed to carry two 1L Smartwater bottles in the side pockets and two 700ml Smartwater bottles (with the sport caps) in the vest pockets:

On Mt Whitney I always filter water, I've seen wag bags, feces, and discarded shart filled undies near water sources and don't want to take any chances. For a day hike on the main trail I'll fill up all the bottles at Trailside Meadow which should get me to the summit and back down the switchbacks. With the bottle locations and the filter in the exterior pocket I can do the filtering efficiently without having to open the pack and reach inside.

Was super fit like a month ago but work has gotten in the way and that is screwing up my plans to train for another Whitney day hike. I've got a backpacking permit for the Shadow Creek trail later in the summer so will hopefully be able to do one or both.
That thing looks awesome. I have one of the black diamond hybrid running vest backpacks and it’s awesome for when I want to cover mileage in warm conditions and travel light like Mt. Diablo.

crustBrother

Kelly Slater status
Apr 23, 2001
Leaving 7/1 to do 10 days in Emigrant and Yosemite. Kennedy Meadows to Tuolumne Meadows and back. That's 160 miles I think but shooting for 200 or something close to that. Bump box at Tuolumne means I can keep pack weight light. Shooting for 13LBS fully loaded. Should be possible... I have my base weight at 8LBS.
UL FTW!

are you going to be pretty much sticking to the PCT?

tsenn

Billy Hamilton status
Feb 11, 2004
san diego
Doing Mt. Langley in July...camp at Cottonwood lakes then summit. Thoughts on daypacks to bring with a backpack? I've been using a slightly overkill Osprey Talon 22 to do Baldy, then San Jacinto and San Gorgonio coming up...I use a hydration bag, but it seems no one uses those...?

_____

Phil Edwards status
Sep 17, 2012
Kennedy Meadows to Tuolumne Meadows and back. That's 160 miles I think but shooting for 200 or something close to that.
A straight line from Kennedy to Tuolumne is about 150 miles each way. Are you taking the pc trail and then something else?

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
Thoughts on daypacks to bring with a backpack?
I have a mesh day pack that packs to about the size of a regular coffee cup.

Sometimes bring it along for when I want to move quick for a day and return to camp by nightfall.

Lots of these things out in the market place today, mine is about 15 yrs old, but at the moment, can't recall who made it? Outdoor Research?

Looks a little like this:
1655310218086.png

A decent hip pack would do the same thing, but they always feel like they are about to fall off my skinny butt.

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008

Dandee's packs are really nice!

Doing Mt. Langley in July...camp at Cottonwood lakes then summit. Thoughts on daypacks to bring with a backpack? I've been using a slightly overkill Osprey Talon 22 to do Baldy, then San Jacinto and San Gorgonio coming up...I use a hydration bag, but it seems no one uses those...?
you get one of these cheapo fakkas and use it as your clothes bag in your backpack and then for your day hike you can use it for your essentials. bringing a whole other backpack is adding a bunch of useless weight

1655311394067.png

I'm talking about this Kennedy Meadows.

Not the one down south.
who's bright idea was it to have TWO KENNEDY MEADOWS in the same fkn range

dumb

I'm going to try to do 3 14s for 4th of july weekend....going over New Army, going to stay up high in Miter Basin, do a backside scramble up to Whitney via Discovery Pinnacle, Mount Muir, back down to Miter Basin, and then will do Langley on the way back to the trailhead the next day

baseweight is little over 8lb

crustBrother

Kelly Slater status
Apr 23, 2001
bringing a whole other backpack is adding a bunch of useless weight
this. i use my day pack for day hikes. unless it's a day hike on a backpacking trip. then i use my backpacking backpack for the day hike.

crustBrother

Kelly Slater status
Apr 23, 2001
It doesn't make sense if you're constantly on the move or doing a hike through but if you're setting up camp and sticking around for over a day it makes perfect sense.
i can totally see how it makes perfect sense to some and not to others

_____

Phil Edwards status
Sep 17, 2012
i can totally see how it makes perfect sense to some and not to others
What if you hike miles in to a spot, set up camp, and wade up a river and explore creeks flyfishing for 4-6 hours? Lug your regular pack with you while you fish? I gotta carry water, sunscreen, energy bars etc and some misc supplies. These things get as light as 2oz.

Reactions: crustBrother

tsenn

Billy Hamilton status
Feb 11, 2004
san diego
What if you hike miles in to a spot, set up camp, and wade up a river and explore creeks flyfishing for 4-6 hours? Lug your regular pack with you while you fish? I gotta carry water, sunscreen, energy bars etc and some misc supplies. These things get as light as 2oz.
Check the packable daypacks on Amazon...I have the hikpro, but there are other brands that pack up to palm size...

Reactions: hotCheetos

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
if you're moving that far, I'd also be carrying shelter, insulation, and first aid, with some food so, I'd probably bring the whole pack and figure out a way to safely stash excess food and clothing items at base camp.

I'm still using a G4 I sewed myself back in 2003 as my daypack. This one isn't mine, but same thing... I can't even find the plans for it online any more.

UPDATE - found 'em! https://www.questoutfitters.com/patterns-packs2-cart.htm

View attachment 131660
this is so fkn heavy metal. mucho respect to people who run what they spun.

my brother just did Whitney in a day, 13.5 hours he said. and this is the same asshole who won't backpack with me because he "just wants to chill by a lake"....

@San Gabriel Valley local, do you have spots in Angeles NF or San Berno NF that you like to hit? I'm looking for shoulder season spots in local mountains