*** Official Backpacking Thread ***

crustBrother

Kelly Slater status
Apr 23, 2001
Can we talk about backpacks? After 20 years with my awesome NorthFace 92L backpack, I'm ready to downsize. It still works but my back is no longer feeling the 5 day treks with a lot of weight.

Although the NorthFace has been around world with me to more than 40 countries, and lasted the entire way, I'm considering other brands too. So far I like the Osprey AETHER AG 70.

It's incredible how much backpacks have changed shape over the years from 20 years ago. Has anyone tried the mold-to-your-hips foam thing from Osprey? Does it work or just gimmick?

My NorthFace Renegade just started to rip after 24 years so I'm also starting to shop around too. But I still want something that can haul major loads. Usually don't need that capacity, but every so often I do a short trip where there is no water and I need to be able to haul some serious volume and lbs. I'm thinking maybe Gregory Denali 100.

San Gabriel Valley local

Michael Peterson status
Nov 14, 2002
San Gabriel Valley, CA
Yes, we'd been hitting different spots a couple of times a week. We got in a day at Yosemite that was very nice and spent a week in UT and hiked a bunch in the Uintas. Super pretty up there and possible retirement location... Once the oven turned on we've not done too much but are jonesing to get out on the trail.
Let's get together soon!
Just looked up Uintas...wow! Let's touch base soon, we're trying to put together a get away to your neck of the woods, possibly towards the end of the month.

Reactions: npsp

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
I just ordered a new pack from superior wilderness designs

the game has completely changed since the last time I touched my kit

the gregory, osprey, deuter stuff is all totally overwrought and HEAVY

I'm taking 2.5 pounds off my back going to the SWD longhaul 50, but loosing NO capacity

it's a no brainer....

Atom Packs
Superior Wilderness Designs
ULA
Sierra Designs
Hyperlight
...and many more...

most of these are made in the USA by Americans, are lighter, more durable and
have all the capacity you need....some are far more expensive than others, especially
if you get Dyneema, which I do not want - too expensive for slight weight improvement
and increased fragility.

I like SWD because they are one of the few using the VX fabrics which blend waterproofness
with high durability....tons of customization options which allow you to tune the bag to your
needs.

I bought a pack at the REI yardsale and I'm going to exercise their return policy for
the first time in my life after these next two trips - high capacity bags with too many
pockets, zippers, and straps without some of the flexibility of removable frame stays,
removable back pads (double as a sit pad), and high durability and waterproof fabrics
are not going to work for me.

WRT bears...

no one doing the PCT dies from bear attacks. no one in California dies of bear attacks.

brown bears are certainly an issue in some places, but not here.

bear behavior in yosemite can't be extrapolated out to the rest of the sierra or elsewhere, really.

falling and lightning are your bigger concerns.

that said, I am bringing a wide mouth gatorade bottle so I can pee without getting out of
my tent at night because I have a totally irrational fear that the bear is just sitting quietly
outside my tent waiting for me to take my **** at 3am and it fkn RUINS my sleep.

r32

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 1, 2005
Cambria
I've been wanting to back pack for a while. My wife and daughter like the idea... until the thought of bears comes up.

Anybody have bear stories? Or tips and strategies?
r32 story time.

Been backpacking/hiking all my life. Explored a lot of the Sierras. Ran into bears on multiple occasions, all in California, and once in Montana. Also got stalked by a mountain lion once, but that is a story for another time.

A few weeks ago, I went up to Mammoth Pool with a friend of mine. Mammoth pool is a beautiful area, with some gorgeous granite domes, and the most gorgeous forest meadows you've ever laid eyes upon. After swimming in Mammoth Pool for a few hours in the morning, we headed up the mountain to Granite Creek. Amazing hiking trails, and and hidden meadows throughout the forest. Granite Creek is just a few miles past Clover Meadows near Strawberry Mine.

At Granite creek there are two camp areas on the river. The north camp allows for horses and horse trailers and it was packed. Counted four super expensive fancy four-horse trailers, with horses grazing in the pasture, and more cowboy hats sitting around the camp than you can find in a shitkicker bar on a small town Saturday night. 'Murica!

Not a single spot was open, so we turned right to go into the south camp. Only one spot was open, so we grabbed it and set up tent. Then we went for a hike up the mountain on a short 5m loop. It was awesome, although parts of the trail was not maintained and log hopping was the name of the game.

We arrived back at camp near nightfall. My friend informed me she had never really seen the stars. She is new to camping/hiking experience. She also said a comet would be flying by that night and wondered if we could see it. I said ok let's do this. I grabbed my high powered binoculars and we walked from our tent site down to the creek, about 30' away. The creek was barely flowing, but there were some sizable ponds with 1' long trout zipping about.

We found some big smooth boulders next to one of the ponds and I spread some beach towels down. We laid down flat and stared up at the sky. As twilight faded away, the sky turn into deep black galaxy of a billion twinkling stars. I pointed out some constellations. After a while, she noticed a very bright star that appeared to be moving very slowly. It was the comet! It was awesome. There was a beautiful glow around the big white orb and a little bit of the tail. I wish I had a real camera as it moved across the sky above us. We laid there for almost two hours, talking about life, and gazing into space. It was the most stars I've seen since my last trip to Death Valley to bury dad.

After a while, we decided to get back to the tent and get some rest. We climbed into our sleeping bags, and started to fall asleep. Around 11.30pm, KABOOM! A single gunshot from a large caliber rifle rang out, from a few camp sites down, about 100 yards from us. I woke up, waiting for the inevitable panic from my friend. Amazingly, she remained calm and asked me what was going on. I told her there are three possibilities. Either some guy is drunk and tripped over his rifle, a camper just murdered his friend in a twisted lovers quarrel threesome that went astray, or a bear has wandered into someones camp because they left some food out.

I sat up, put my shoes, and grabbed my bowie knife in case someone needed help. We sat quietly in our tent and listened for screams, or more gunshots. It was dead silence. Not a single murmur could be heard throughout the campsite. So we went back to sleep and thought nothing of it.

The next morning, we got up early and I'm staggering into the tree line to take a morning p!ss. The sun is not quite up yet but I could see pretty good around the campsite. I wandered back to the tent, grabbed my toothbrush and brushed my teeth. As I'm standing there outside the tent, I looked down. There is a stump sticking out of the ground about 5' from our tent. Snagged on the edge of the stump was palm sized cluster of bear fur that wasn't there yesterday when we set up the tent. I know this because the previous day when we set up camp, I had used the stump to set our water bottles and other things on. At some point during the night, a bear had wandered through our camp, right next to our tent. I told my friend about it and we had a good chuckle. I wanted to talk to other campers that morning but we decided to get a move on so we can do more exploring.

After some run offroading, and doing another couple of short hikes near Balloon Dome, we decided to head home. It was getting late in the afternoon and I wanted to show her some more awesome things on the way home. I decided to take a different route on the way down the mountain, road 5S07 which goes by Jackass Meadow, Norris Peak / Trailhead, and Portuguese Overlook. Awesome dirt road but don't crash on the washboard! We got to Portuguese Overlook and I pulled over so we can take in the beauty. We're the only ones around and along comes this older couple, a guy and his wife in their Westfalia Van. They pulled over, got out and were enjoying the views too. He and I got to talking as I was asking him questions about his tricked out Westfalia Van with custom made shower apparatus. Turns out, they had also camped at Granite Creek last night and were a few spots down from us.

I asked if they had heard the gunshot last night. His response "Oh yah, it was right next to our camp site."

He told us a bear had come into the camp to steal some food. Then he explained that five nights ago, there was a group of about ten kids, all in there young 20-something that were camping at Granite Creek. They ended up putting all of their food supplies in a tent, and then started partying all night long. They were so drunk and high with music blasting, they never noticed the bear that walked right into camp. It demolished their tent, ripping it apart, and tore into all their food. To the delight of other campers the following day, the kids had to leave because they had no food left. Then he explained last night was the fifth night in a row the bear has returned to the same camp spot, looking for food.

Moral of the story. Carry some bear protection. Bear mace is preferable, although a good knife can come in handy as well. Hunting dogs are also awesome, because the bears in the Sierras are generally scared of them and will run away. And don't camp in a spot where some dumb ass youngsters were partying a few nights before, unless you like midnight surprises.

Last edited:

SeaFoamGreen

Gerry Lopez status
Apr 10, 2009
NorOR
fb31a5d7-cd03-46d1-9d42-31c59c8add70 (1).jpeg
Was in a similar boat a few seasons back, had an old Gregory I picked up in the early 90s. Its was huge! Something like 90 liters too! Was good for when I used to do Big Flat given wetsuit, booties, and what not, but often over packed on alpine wilderness trips. Now my trips are 3 nights 4 days max with minimal gear. Tried an REI super lightweight 47 that was meh. Not enough padding and not quite enough room. Thanks to REIs return policy, I ended up going back to Gregory after trying on some Ospreys too. This ones 58, came with rain cover, and summit pack, which doubles as a water bladder holder inside pack. Needles to say I am digging it. Perfect balance between being light and comfort. Has some sort of air flow tech that does in fact work. Noticed my back was a lot less sweaty then with old pack. Got it on the cheap too for under 2 hundy in the outlet. Have also upgraded bag and pad, from 90s gear and have shed 4 or 5 lbs and created more space. Those items were spendy though even on sale, but worth upgrading.

Reactions: the janitor and r32

San Gabriel Valley local

Michael Peterson status
Nov 14, 2002
San Gabriel Valley, CA
Good choice. I used an SWD Long Haul 35 on my Whitney hike...although it has way more volume than I needed for the hike, for longer day hikes I prefer to carry weight on my hips, so I used it as a day pack. Really looking forward to some overnights with this pack, light, comfortable, plenty of room and all the pockets and stuff are where I want them.

SeaFoamGreen

Gerry Lopez status
Apr 10, 2009
NorOR
Ooooh those SWD packs do look good. Def like minimalist style. I didn't really look to hard for a new pack I guess and was kinda looking for something cheap. That said, looks worth it for same capacity I could loose 2 pounds of weight! :unsure: While 100 and change more than what I paid, they don't really seem overpriced. Cool.

_____

Phil Edwards status
Sep 17, 2012
I got the ULA Catalyst custom with full X-pac fabric (full waterproof) , and still use smaller the Circuit as often

Zpacks Duplex tent was the biggest game changer
ResQ Link PLB is a must for me
Switched from a squeeze to gravity filter and like it way more
I'd like a warmer, more poofy and roomy sleeping bag for Fall and Spring but don't really need to spend the $ for one during summer (Western Mountaineering)
It's about time to open the backpacking duffel bag and eBay all the crap I've filtered out of my list.

npsp

Miki Dora status
Dec 30, 2003
down the hill and to the right
Visit site
I posted the Mex/Cen America retirement, but have been thinking Utah also...what part?
Midway looks pretty nice. Not too expensive yet and super close to all things outdoors but surf. I figure cost of living savings would net me 3-4 good surf trips/yr plus have $$ for whatever toys I'd like to play with.
Our good friends moved to Park City a year or so back and we've been several times now and it is really growing on me. It has everything but surf and really good beer.

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
I''m looking at places in June lake

you can get anywhere in the sierra clear up to lassen pretty easy from there

houses are cheaper and it's less blown out than mammooth

surf is reachable between visits to mexico

@r32 - great photographs!

r32

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 1, 2005
Cambria
I''m looking at places in June lake

you can get anywhere in the sierra clear up to lassen pretty easy from there

houses are cheaper and it's less blown out than mammooth

surf is reachable between visits to mexico

@r32 - great photographs!
Thanks. Not bad for an iphone 5S. lol

Was at Grant/Silver/Gull/June Lakes last summer. Always an amazing adventure there. The beauty of the eastern sierras outdoes the western side of the Sierras, imho. That landscape flow from desert to high country is love at first site. :love:

JBerry

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 8, 2017
Cool creepy yet beautiful story @r32. Kinda lost me a bit about the laying blankets on the rocks part to watch stars, :dancing:then I remembered the preface to your story was about bears,:ROFLMAO:!
I once won a bet as a teen in the Sequoias, first one to see a bear got a buck a kid, $15 was good dough back then!

• Haha
Reactions: r32

Joshua2415

Tom Curren status
Jul 18, 2005
San Clemente
r32 story time.

Been backpacking/hiking all my life. Explored a lot of the Sierras. Ran into bears on multiple occasions, all in California, and once in Montana. Also got stalked by a mountain lion once, but that is a story for another time.

A few weeks ago, I went up to Mammoth Pool with a friend of mine. Mammoth pool is a beautiful area, with some gorgeous granite domes, and the most gorgeous forest meadows you've ever laid eyes upon. After swimming in Mammoth Pool for a few hours in the morning, we headed up the mountain to Granite Creek. Amazing hiking trails, and and hidden meadows throughout the forest. Granite Creek is just a few miles past Clover Meadows near Strawberry Mine.

At Granite creek there are two camp areas on the river. The north camp allows for horses and horse trailers and it was packed. Counted four super expensive fancy four-horse trailers, with horses grazing in the pasture, and more cowboy hats sitting around the camp than you can find in a shitkicker bar on a small town Saturday night. 'Murica!

Not a single spot was open, so we turned right to go into the south camp. Only one spot was open, so we grabbed it and set up tent. Then we went for a hike up the mountain on a short 5m loop. It was awesome, although parts of the trail was not maintained and log hopping was the name of the game.

We arrived back at camp near nightfall. My friend informed me she had never really seen the stars. She is new to camping/hiking experience. She also said a comet would be flying by that night and wondered if we could see it. I said ok let's do this. I grabbed my high powered binoculars and we walked from our tent site down to the creek, about 30' away. The creek was barely flowing, but there were some sizable ponds with 1' long trout zipping about.

We found some big smooth boulders next to one of the ponds and I spread some beach towels down. We laid down flat and stared up at the sky. As twilight faded away, the sky turn into deep black galaxy of a billion twinkling stars. I pointed out some constellations. After a while, she noticed a very bright star that appeared to be moving very slowly. It was the comet! It was awesome. There was a beautiful glow around the big white orb and a little bit of the tail. I wish I had a real camera as it moved across the sky above us. We laid there for almost two hours, talking about life, and gazing into space. It was the most stars I've seen since my last trip to Death Valley to bury dad.

After a while, we decided to get back to the tent and get some rest. We climbed into our sleeping bags, and started to fall asleep. Around 11.30pm, KABOOM! A single gunshot from a large caliber rifle rang out, from a few camp sites down, about 100 yards from us. I woke up, waiting for the inevitable panic from my friend. Amazingly, she remained calm and asked me what was going on. I told her there are three possibilities. Either some guy is drunk and tripped over his rifle, a camper just murdered his friend in a twisted lovers quarrel threesome that went astray, or a bear has wandered into someones camp because they left some food out.

I sat up, put my shoes, and grabbed my bowie knife in case someone needed help. We sat quietly in our tent and listened for screams, or more gunshots. It was dead silence. Not a single murmur could be heard throughout the campsite. So we went back to sleep and thought nothing of it.

The next morning, we got up early and I'm staggering into the tree line to take a morning p!ss. The sun is not quite up yet but I could see pretty good around the campsite. I wandered back to the tent, grabbed my toothbrush and brushed my teeth. As I'm standing there outside the tent, I looked down. There is a stump sticking out of the ground about 5' from our tent. Snagged on the edge of the stump was palm sized cluster of bear fur that wasn't there yesterday when we set up the tent. I know this because the previous day when we set up camp, I had used the stump to set our water bottles and other things on. At some point during the night, a bear had wandered through our camp, right next to our tent. I told my friend about it and we had a good chuckle. I wanted to talk to other campers that morning but we decided to get a move on so we can do more exploring.

After some run offroading, and doing another couple of short hikes near Balloon Dome, we decided to head home. It was getting late in the afternoon and I wanted to show her some more awesome things on the way home. I decided to take a different route on the way down the mountain, road 5S07 which goes by Jackass Meadow, Norris Peak / Trailhead, and Portuguese Overlook. Awesome dirt road but don't crash on the washboard! We got to Portuguese Overlook and I pulled over so we can take in the beauty. We're the only ones around and along comes this older couple, a guy and his wife in their Westfalia Van. They pulled over, got out and were enjoying the views too. He and I got to talking as I was asking him questions about his tricked out Westfalia Van with custom made shower apparatus. Turns out, they had also camped at Granite Creek last night and were a few spots down from us.

I asked if they had heard the gunshot last night. His response "Oh yah, it was right next to our camp site."

He told us a bear had come into the camp to steal some food. Then he explained that five nights ago, there was a group of about ten kids, all in there young 20-something that were camping at Granite Creek. They ended up putting all of their food supplies in a tent, and then started partying all night long. They were so drunk and high with music blasting, they never noticed the bear that walked right into camp. It demolished their tent, ripping it apart, and tore into all their food. To the delight of other campers the following day, the kids had to leave because they had no food left. Then he explained last night was the fifth night in a row the bear has returned to the same camp spot, looking for food.

Moral of the story. Carry some bear protection. Bear mace is preferable, although a good knife can come in handy as well. Hunting dogs are also awesome, because the bears in the Sierras are generally scared of them and will run away. And don't camp in a spot where some dumb ass youngsters were partying a few nights before, unless you like midnight surprises.

This could be the start of a 'Creepiest Campsites' thread... :shark:

• Haha
Reactions: One-Off and r32

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
Wow, that list makes me realize how much of an aspiring novice I am in this realm.

Is this a new strain: Pot "snow peak titanium 700ml" 4.8oz
I'll be the first to admit the ridiculousness of it...

it's a great way to shed weight though by keeping you honest

my pack is like 43% lighter this trip as a result and I'm aiming to do upwards
of 50% more miles per day

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
r32 story time.

Great story and photos. We saw a UFO up in Tuolumne a couple years ago. But that's another story.

Moral of your story- probably a good idea to keep food in bear canister(s) away from your tent and keep nothing in your tent. Carry a big knife and bear spray. Hard to know if some 20 something partiers were in the campsite the previous night though...

Does anybody know if weed attracts or repels bears?

SeaFoamGreen

Gerry Lopez status
Apr 10, 2009
NorOR
Wow this (https://lighterpack.com/r/wrkx9v ) is impressive! Tableau report? As a cartographer I always recommend paper maps, a compass, and nav skills as a no fail, but no GPS?

Also highly recommend fishing gear, but if your doing a thru hike may not have time or worth it. I can typically nail one meal or more. Native Brookies in the Cascades can be finicky, but sometime we kill it.

Reactions: tsenn

the janitor

Tom Curren status
Mar 28, 2003
north of the bridge
I'll be the first to admit the ridiculousness of it...

it's a great way to shed weight though by keeping you honest

my pack is like 43% lighter this trip as a result and I'm aiming to do upwards
of 50% more miles per day
It doesn't seem ridiculous, it's eye opening. I could probably pull enough stuff together to not be completely miserable out there (just mostly miserable) but I'd look like a mashup of the kid from Up and the Beverly Hillbillies

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W

the game has completely changed since the last time I touched my kit

the gregory, osprey, deuter stuff is all totally overwrought and HEAVY

I'm taking 2.5 pounds off my back going to the SWD longhaul 50, but loosing NO capacity

it's a no brainer....

Atom Packs
Superior Wilderness Designs
ULA
Sierra Designs
Hyperlight
...and many more...

most of these are made in the USA by Americans, are lighter, more durable and
have all the capacity you need....some are far more expensive than others, especially
if you get Dyneema, which I do not want - too expensive for slight weight improvement
and increased fragility.

I like SWD because they are one of the few using the VX fabrics which blend waterproofness
with high durability....tons of customization options which allow you to tune the bag to your
needs.

I bought a pack at the REI yardsale and I'm going to exercise their return policy for
the first time in my life after these next two trips - high capacity bags with too many
pockets, zippers, and straps without some of the flexibility of removable frame stays,
removable back pads (double as a sit pad), and high durability and waterproof fabrics
are not going to work for me.

WRT bears...

no one doing the PCT dies from bear attacks. no one in California dies of bear attacks.

brown bears are certainly an issue in some places, but not here.

bear behavior in yosemite can't be extrapolated out to the rest of the sierra or elsewhere, really.

falling and lightning are your bigger concerns.

that said, I am bringing a wide mouth gatorade bottle so I can pee without getting out of
my tent at night because I have a totally irrational fear that the bear is just sitting quietly
outside my tent waiting for me to take my **** at 3am and it fkn RUINS my sleep.
Couldn't you save money by buying a heavier pack and then do deadlifts and squats to compensate with increased strength?:poke: