*** Official Backpacking Thread ***

r32

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 1, 2005
Cambria
I'm going back out of horseshoe meadow to rocky basin lakes, off-trail to the boreal
plateau and funston lake, and up over old army pass to cottonwood lakes

possible detour to mount langley since I'll be up high already before dropping down
the pass.

anyone fished RBLs, Funston, Johnson, the lakes at the head of Rock Creek, or the
cottonwood lakes complex? I think the RBLs don't have fish in them at all from what
I've seen on the internets.

I think 4 days is more than enough time to slack it and cast a bit, but I always bring
the fishing gear and then never wind up casting....
What prize are you going to leave in the parking lot this time? :poke:

_____

Phil Edwards status
Sep 17, 2012
(I've got a day hike permit for Mt Whitney on 8/31 and have been keeping an eye on the conditions.)
I put in for 3 different entry dates for the lottery the day/minute it opened and got denied this year. grrrr
Have fun. Maybe I'll sneak into Mirror Lake with a photoshopped permit sometime in Sept since they are all email permits now! :p

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
I put in for 3 different entry dates for the lottery the day/minute it opened and got denied this year. grrrr
Have fun. Maybe I'll sneak into Mirror Lake with a photoshopped permit sometime in Sept since they are all email permits now! :p
YOU'RE A GALDARN GENIUS!

San Gabriel Valley local

Michael Peterson status
Nov 14, 2002
San Gabriel Valley, CA
Some pics from my Mt Whitney day hike yesterday (Aug. 31st). Spent a few days in Mammoth Lakes to acclimate. Almost called off the day hike because of the smoke issues from the fires in the Sequoia National Forest, but from the forecasts it looked like there was going to be a window of opportunity in the early morning so we decided to do it (we started the hike at 1:00 a.m.) and it was a good decision:

1.jpg2.jpg7.jpg6.jpg

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
did you get a permit?

I'm coming up through crabtree lakes/pass and dropping in to miter basin

I was thinking about going up discovery pinnacle and over to whitney...

I think that's ambitious though.

the GTW is closed in the souther region, but they said that entrance in to GTW
from Inyo via Cottonwood is still allowed....I'm going over to Boreal Plateau and
then north up in to SEKI towards Crabtree.

Reactions: the janitor

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
Some pics from my Mt Whitney day hike yesterday (Aug. 31st). Spent a few days in Mammoth Lakes to acclimate. Almost called off the day hike because of the smoke issues from the fires in the Sequoia National Forest, but from the forecasts it looked like there was going to be a window of opportunity in the early morning so we decided to do it (we started the hike at 1:00 a.m.) and it was a good decision:

View attachment 97139View attachment 97140View attachment 97141View attachment 97142
Outstanding photos.The one of the sunrise is sublime (y) (y) :applause2:

crustBrother

Kelly Slater status
Apr 23, 2001

View attachment 97139View attachment 97140View attachment 97141View attachment 97142
OMG. Love the one of (i think) Guitar Lake. The Range of Light.