*** Official Backpacking Thread ***

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
The KGB, the FBI and the CIA are all trying to prove that they are the best at catching criminals.
The Secretary General of the UN decides to give them a test. He releases a rabbit into a forest and each of them has to catch it.
The CIA goes in. They place animal informants throughout the forest. They question all plant and mineral witnesses. After three months of extensive investigations they conclude that the rabbit does not exist.
The FBI goes in. After two weeks with no leads they burn the forest, killing everything in it, including the rabbit, and make no apologies: the rabbit had it coming. The KGB goes in. They come out two hours later with a badly beaten bear. The bear is yelling: “Okay! Okay! I’m a rabbit! I’m a rabbit!”

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
There was a man that wanted to travel three days an three nights, to get to Alaska, the biggest state in all of America. So when he go there he asked the guy at the border to tell him how he could be a respected citizen there where you were loved and really respected.

And he told him that there were three things he had to do. So the man asks what is the first thing he has to do, and he was like you have to drink a gallon of 151 brute rum and the man asked "Where can I get that?" and the officer was like its here, and the man said ok ok, what is the second thing i have to do? And the officer was like "you have to kill a polor bear, and the third thing you got to do is make love to an Eskimo brawd."

And so the guy says well give me that liquor first and so he drank it and didn't bat an eyelash, and he was TORE UP, so then he leaves and pretty soon he comes back. and says " Well where can I get this Polar Bear" and the officer says "there is one about a mile up this way, and he lives in a cave, so go on in there and that's where he is".

So the man went on up there and he came back and his clothes were all torn off of him, and he had scratches everywhere and he was bleeding and his hair was all madded. And so the tattered man in sloppy voice was like "Now that was tough, now show me this Eskimo brawd you want me to kill"

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
A little off topic but is anyone completely done with car camping unless it's absolutely necessary or situationally practical?

I know I am.

I mean, with sites running around $30 a night you can usually find a deal at a local motel for $30 more.

That means a shower, a decent bed, and a better night's rest and no work.

tsenn

Billy Hamilton status
Feb 11, 2004
san diego
A little off topic but is anyone completely done with car camping unless it's absolutely necessary or situationally practical?

I know I am.

I mean, with sites running around $30 a night you can usually find a deal at a local motel for $30 more.

Still like car camping with the kids...San Elijo/Carlsbad, etc. in the summer...sucks, but fun at the same time...

_____

Phil Edwards status
Sep 17, 2012
No, side of the road and small skinny dirt roads that open up to meadows with creeks in the southern Sierra, BML land certain times of the year are some of my favorite car camp spots, and stealth camping is a regular thing. I don't like pitching a tent unless I'm hoofing it. Typical Summer overnight backpacking trip -> drive to Kernville after work, drink 1-2 beers at KRBC or 1-2 wines at Starlite Lounge (RIP), or both, car camp in the neighborhood, wake at 4-5AM and head up the mountain to trailhead.
For shower, **** ***** campground put a combo lock on my uber secret full bathroom with hot shower for the cabin guests:cursing:. That was the best ever for about 3 years.

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
Still like car camping with the kids...San Elijo/Carlsbad, etc. in the summer...sucks, but fun at the same time...
this

there are some places that you can only car camp at; staying in a fleabag
motel is constricting and eliminates some of the best parts of camping
that happen on the edges of the day, morning and night.

another good option is having one of the local outfits deliver a fifth wheel
to your site to camp in....better beds, warmer, usually a toilet if not a shower,
and a kitchen set up

it's a steal....they do pickup, drop-off, and handle waste disposal...I've had a
lot of luck with this at Mammoth Lakes.

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
Whoa dude! Up and close to a Sasquatch! Epic!!!! :jamon:
Better than a dwarf touch!!

:p

What kid in the Pacific Northwest doesn't know about the scent of Sasquatch?

Don't have my Alaska bear photos handy, but one that was close enough to smell scared the heck out Sweetie-pie and I. We were walking around in the gloaming near a creak that was flowing into the ocean. Almost no motion in the air and suddenly were odoriferously assaulted by scent of fish based putrescence, we stop, turn to each other, whisper "Bear", then a sound of billiard balls clacking (figured they were stones moving under paw), then sound of bush rustling, we think we see the shrubbery shake, and then we start walking backwards slowly, and then go a little faster, then about 30 yards later, turn and bolt.

Sierra bears I've been around close enough to smell (scent travels more than you think)...maybe my best bear picture (Sierra High Trail en route to Bearpaw Meadows):

Different day, same trail, early morning, (different bear?):

(we had to walk uphill off the trail to get out of its way....it kept walking towards us after this photo, so, up we went and it passed us by, staying on the trail the whole way.. A few trees by the trail have claw marks on them to let you know they're around.

Last edited:

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA

I know I am.

That isn't car camping (I call that 'car cramping') this is car camping, and no, I am not tired of it:

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
If anyone has the time, doesn't mind some wet feet, backpacking down the Virgin River in the heat of summer is great..no need to bring water or a lot of clothing so get to pack light:

Bring something for feet...walking all day in the stream means you gotta take care of them at nightfall.

PS

Packing down the Virgin River is maybe the easiest trail you can do for this sort/type of hike. Still, you can day walk up from Zion...wear a watch so you have a good idea when to turn around. "Wow, how long have we been walking? We're at the Orderville Creek junction...how far is that from the start? Did you bring a topo? What, it turned to mush in your pocket after tripping during those umpteen crossings? What time did we start, and are those clouds looking particularly dark to you? Was that thunder? What was the forecast today?"

PPS

It is about 95 F in those photos. Sweetie-pie in white hat in the 2nd shot going back to tell those two guys that is will take about 3 hrs to get back to the Narrows from where they are right now.

PPS

Here is a quick and dirty map of the Virgin River hike. Just one night in the Narrows. Blue S is start, blue F is finish. Black circle if Orderville Gulch. When walking up from the main floor of Zion, this is a good place to consider the mid point. Those Zion pics are above the Orderville Gulch tie-in.

1594938799826.png

Attachments

Last edited:

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
I'm going back out of horseshoe meadow to rocky basin lakes, off-trail to the boreal
plateau and funston lake, and up over old army pass to cottonwood lakes

possible detour to mount langley since I'll be up high already before dropping down
the pass.

anyone fished RBLs, Funston, Johnson, the lakes at the head of Rock Creek, or the
cottonwood lakes complex? I think the RBLs don't have fish in them at all from what
I've seen on the internets.

I think 4 days is more than enough time to slack it and cast a bit, but I always bring
the fishing gear and then never wind up casting....

Reactions: crustBrother