*** Official Backpacking Thread ***

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
I'm looking for a 3-4 day loop (or out and back) somewhere between Kernville and Tioga Pass

Last edited by a moderator:

hammies

Duke status
Apr 8, 2006
It takes a minimum of two points to have a 'between'. That's just how the universe works.
He was just looking for an excuse to post that picture of the guy with the nipple tattoo.

• Love
Reactions: afoaf

_____

Phil Edwards status
Sep 17, 2012
Yeah between Kern and?
How many miles are you good for each day? With kids? Fishing or ?

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
It takes a minimum of two points to have a 'between'. That's just how the universe works.
Dude, those moobs freaked me out and I totally lost my place in line

KERNVILLE AND TIOGA PASS

How many miles are you good for each day? With kids? Fishing or ?

sans kids. solo.

fly fishing would be good

or....mountain hookers?

am I reading this correctly or is everything open sans permit/reservation:

JBerry

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 8, 2017
day 1:start at edison lake.
head up to graveyard lakes, camp there.
day 2: go over pass, silver divide?, and camp at peter pande lake.
its right at 10k you can have a fire. spend another night there. checking out ann lake, and the surrounding area.
you won't regret that area for one bit. bring a trout pole too!
day 3: dink around that area or start to goodale pass and camp around there for a night.
day 4: take trail over goodale pass and back to edison lake.
get a burger and beer at the store at Vermillion Valley Ranch, Edison lake.

one of the more beautiful fun hikes i've done!

JBerry

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 8, 2017
Horseshoe meadows on eastern sierra is closed from the latest earthquake, but if open:

a good 3 night hike right here too:
Out of Lone Pine, park at cottonwood lakes/ horseshoe meadows parking lot.
hike into cottonwood lakes.
go over old army pass.
once at the top a bunch of watys to go, but
I've hiked to soldier lake, camped there 2 nights.
day hike up to arc pass at 13k and you can see whitney from the side angle!
hike out from soldier on day 3 and go down new army pass.

_____

Phil Edwards status
Sep 17, 2012
I haven't backpacked enough in the eastern sierra north of Mammoth, and agree with lililib03 in the other thread that said later in summer is best for way high alpine (and IMO into fall for main stem Kern is best for fishing the prime spots)
Cottonwood/Langley pass is a quota'd area and the rangers check permits like they do at Whitney. The gate to the lot might still be closed but you can park on the road and go in. You can still get them. It's not a lottery like Whitney but worth checking and weekdays are possible entry dates, exit dates don't seem to matter. Go to recreation.gov to find openings. Lone Pine station is closed so you can't pick up permits, so they email them to you which is totally epic in comparison. I've got permits for this next week.

An alternative to ^^ and if you want to catch some of the only native goldens in existence (on dries and all day long to boot) in small creeks with a light fly rod is same trailhead (Horseshoe Meadow) but go over Trail Pass south instead of north then cut west. It's not quota'd but for $6 or whatever to not worry about a ranger writing you a ticket, meh. I've backpacked dozens of times in GTW without a permit. You could plan any number of your own customized loops with the Tom Harrison Golden Trout Wilderness map. I did a 4 day through route a couple years ago and didn't see anyone for 2 days. Once you get over Trail Pass the hiking is a breeze. I like the GTW area especially because the geography is way more diverse than high alpine lake areas and changes as you go (alpine meets forest, huge meadows, marshes, volcanic flows, xmas tree groves, tall pines, big creeks, small creeks, upper south fork Kern river). It's probably the most scenic place I've been in the southern sierra and I'd do that trip instead if I had never been to Cottonwood/Langley.

Forks to little kern lake in that direction would be a grueling trek there (not back), but little lake is one of the prime spots that holds some of the biggest native trout in the entire river. Go from Lloyd or Jerky trailheads. This time of year is also super important to check the main stem flows and expected flows if you head out there.

Some pics of GTW and deep upper main kern.

Top of Trail Pass looking down to Mulkey Meadow:
trail-pass.jpg

Lava flows near volcano meadow

lava.jpg

Big kern lake w/ little lake in the far bg off the pic (same trip).
bkl.jpg

Little kern lake area
IMG_4812.jpg

Last edited:

TheEl

Billy Hamilton status
Oct 31, 2010
day 1:start at edison lake.
head up to graveyard lakes, camp there.
day 2: go over pass, silver divide?, and camp at peter pande lake.
its right at 10k you can have a fire. spend another night there. checking out ann lake, and the surrounding area.
you won't regret that area for one bit. bring a trout pole too!
day 3: dink around that area or start to goodale pass and camp around there for a night.
day 4: take trail over goodale pass and back to edison lake.
get a burger and beer at the store at Vermillion Valley Ranch, Edison lake.

one of the more beautiful fun hikes i've done!
VVR is trippy

Icu812

Nep status
Jun 23, 2013
WEST of 101
Start at Lake Mary by Mammoth, over Duck Pass and camp at Purple Lake--good fishing there. Then cross Muir Trail and take trail down to Cascade Valley, Fish Creek. Follow Fish Creek down to Iva Bel Hot Springs, one of the very best wilderness hot springs anywhere. Then take Fish Creek back around to Reds Meadows where you can catch a shuttle back out to Mammoth.
View from Duck Pass with Mammoth Mtn on the right and Ritter, Banner, and the Minarets back to the left.
IMGP1932.JPG

Getting ready to cross the Muir Trail at Purple Lake and head down to Cascade Valley and Fish Creek. This was my first trip out with my grandson and my dog...big responsibility!
IMGP1964.JPG
Got down to Fish Creek and it was raging! We neglected to think about late afternoon snowmelt and had to cross this creek a little farther downstream...stressful but doable.
IMGP1969.JPG

But it was so worth it! Hot spring coming out of granite, not what usually happens but I guess this is on the western side of the Mammoth Caldera..105° perfect.
102_0265.JPG

Then hike down Fish Creek Trail which comes out above the Middle Fork of the San Joaquin River and goes by Rainbow Falls and on to Reds Meadows.

silentbutdeadly

Duke status
Sep 26, 2005
Tower 13
Start at Lake Mary by Mammoth, over Duck Pass and camp at Purple Lake--good fishing there. Then cross Muir Trail and take trail down to Cascade Valley, Fish Creek. Follow Fish Creek down to Iva Bel Hot Springs, one of the very best wilderness hot springs anywhere. Then take Fish Creek back around to Reds Meadows where you can catch a shuttle back out to Mammoth.
View from Duck Pass with Mammoth Mtn on the right and Ritter, Banner, and the Minarets back to the left.
View attachment 93572

Getting ready to cross the Muir Trail at Purple Lake and head down to Cascade Valley and Fish Creek. This was my first trip out with my grandson and my dog...big responsibility!
View attachment 93573
Got down to Fish Creek and it was raging! We neglected to think about late afternoon snowmelt and had to cross this creek a little farther downstream...stressful but doable.
View attachment 93575

But it was so worth it! Hot spring coming out of granite, not what usually happens but I guess this is on the western side of the Mammoth Caldera..105° perfect.
View attachment 93576

Then hike down Fish Creek Trail which comes out above the Middle Fork of the San Joaquin River and goes by Rainbow Falls and on to Reds Meadows.
Looks like a good one!

Reactions: Icu812

_____

Phil Edwards status
Sep 17, 2012
If you need permits after securing on recreation.gov, call 760-873-2483. It's a recording and says to press "0" for a human. Don't listen to the recording, just hit 0 over and over until it starts ringing. If it disconnects, call back and keep pressing 0, and a person will eventually pick up. Last week it took about 15-20 minutes and today only had to call back twice and pressed 0 about 20 times. Done. The convenience of this email method is SO much better than having to arrive a day early or within your entry date window, show up at the Lone Pine visitor center, wait in line, etc.

The horseshoe lot is closed because the campground is closed, so it's an extra mile or so from the gate.