*** Official Backpacking Thread ***

PPK96754

Miki Dora status
Apr 15, 2015
Kauai's north shore ~
That’s exactly what we did (no binos though).

Btw, for the first time in my I suffered from altitude sickness. Pretty bad actually.

Was in hospital Monday and Tuesday. Cerebral edema and pulmonary edema.

As is custom I weighed myself before and after trip. 204 on Thursday morning, 220 on Sunday afternoon, 210 on Monday morning, 198 today.

Saturday morning up in the mountains my face was so puffy I couldn’t see. Eyes were swollen shut.

Fuckked up.
Whoa!! Holy fook! Doubling down, dude ~ :eek:
I sincerely hope that you're better now with no after effects. Geeezze!! I'll assume that you've been to altitude before without any side effects before? One would normally / usually move to a lower altitude if one was becoming dizzy or off kilter. Any symptoms before hand? I'm truly happy to see you write this chit down Today!
"phucked up", in the truest sense of the words!
That's some near fatal chit, dude.

Reactions: npsp and Mr Doof

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
That’s exactly what we did (no binos though).

Btw, for the first time in my I suffered from altitude sickness. Pretty bad actually.

Was in hospital Monday and Tuesday. Cerebral edema and pulmonary edema.

As is custom I weighed myself before and after trip. 204 on Thursday morning, 220 on Sunday afternoon, 210 on Monday morning, 198 today.

Saturday morning up in the mountains my face was so puffy I couldn’t see. Eyes were swollen shut.

Fuckked up.

Yikes!

Even mild brain swelling can ruin you for life, while a bad case of lung edema will kill you quick.

That you were hospitalized means it was pretty serious.

Heal up champ, give that juicy lump of fatty tissue some rest and relaxation.

PS
Nice snaps of the mountains.

Reactions: npsp and PPK96754

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
Whoa!! Holy fook! Doubling down, dude ~ :eek:
I sincerely hope that you're better now with no after effects. Geeezze!! I'll assume that you've been to altitude before without any side effects before? One would normally / usually move to a lower altitude if one was becoming dizzy or off kilter. Any symptoms before hand? I'm truly happy to see you write this chit down Today!
"phucked up", in the truest sense of the words!
That's some near fatal chit, dude.
Yeah, so today I feel almost normal. Still get out of breath pretty quickly (walking a few blocks feels like running 9 minute miles).

Been going to the mountains all my life and going over 10k feet is standard. Camped as high as 13k. Never had an issue aside from your typical acclimation period the first couple days.

We usually aclimate at around 8k for a couple days but this trip was last minute. Got permit on Wednesday, drove Thursday, hiked in and camped at 10,400 that night.

First night was fucking torture. I know NOW that I should have pulled the plug and bailed at first light but we decided to “wait and see” figuring I’d feel better as I acclimated. Took some Tylenol, felt a little better and just powered through on Friday.

Friday night took a sleeping pill. Slept like a baby and woke up bloated and puffy, pounding headache, couldn’t walk straight. Went exploring around all day and ate all of the Tylenol and Advil we brought throughout the day.

I thought I was feeling better but in retrospect I think I was just in denial.

Saturday night I barely slept at all. Developed a gurgling cough during the night and could barely breathe if I laid on my back. Woke up with my whole face swollen shut. Jumped in the lake and the cold water helped with the inflammation.

Wife packed as much as she could carry in and out of her pack, I took the rest and we started walking out. She’s a fuckking trooper.

Hike out was only 7 miles but it was the most difficult physical “feat” I’ve ever done.

Ive done full distance Ironman triathlons and ultramarathons. This hike was way harder. I was hallucinating.

Got down to Bishop and felt much better but still couldn’t walk straight.

Monday morning now home, still coughing and can’t walk straight. When to hospital, chest X-ray, MRI on brain an respiratory infection test (everything including covid).

Result? Fluid in lungs, swelling in brain, zero viruses detected.

Lessons learned.…

1. Acclimate.

2. if you feel unusually bad GTFO ASAP.

3. Pack light (we do but not obsessively). You or your travel partner might have to carry more than expected.

PPK96754

Miki Dora status
Apr 15, 2015
Kauai's north shore ~
Yeah, so today I feel almost normal. Still get out of breath pretty quickly (walking a few blocks feels like running 9 minute miles).

Been going to the mountains all my life and going over 10k feet is standard. Camped as high as 13k. Never had an issue aside from your typical acclimation period the first couple days.

We usually aclimate at around 8k for a couple days but this trip was last minute. Got permit on Wednesday, drove Thursday, hiked in and camped at 10,400 that night.

First night was fucking torture. I know NOW that I should have pulled the plug and bailed at first light but we decided to “wait and see” figuring I’d feel better as I acclimated. Took some Tylenol, felt a little better and just powered through on Friday.

Friday night took a sleeping pill. Slept like a baby and woke up bloated and puffy, pounding headache, couldn’t walk straight. Went exploring around all day and ate all of the Tylenol and Advil we brought throughout the day.

Saturday night I barely slept at all. Developed a gurgling cough during the night and could barely breathe if I laid on my back. Woke up with my whole face swollen shut. Jumped in the lake and the cold water helped with the inflammation.

Wife packed as much as she could carry in and out of her pack, I took the rest and we started walking out. She’s a fuckking trooper.

Hike out was only 7 miles but it was the most difficult physical “feat” I’ve ever done.

Ive done full distance Ironman triathlons and ultramarathons. This hike was way harder. I was hallucinating.

Monday morning now home, still coughing and can’t walk straight. When to hospital, chest X-ray, MRI on brain an respiratory infection test (everything including covid).

Lessons learned.…

1. Acclimate.

3. Pack light (we do but not obsessively). You or your travel partner might have to carry more than expected.
Ya got school'd. Tough lesson for you both. (tuff Woman. U lucky bastid)
Happy to see / hear that it All, turned our for the better, for You and the Mrs!
:waving:

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
IMHO I've always felt all this was tricky - response to altitude really seems to vary at least for me. Coming from sea level I've felt anywhere from great to totally awful from 8,000 ft to 11,800 ft.

Personally I don't think taking sleeping pills while acclimating is a wise idea. Supposedly some are OK (non benzo etc) but after giving a lot of different ones when I worked night shift and seeing the effect on some people I would personally steer clear.

@Duffy LaCoronilla , I'm curious what sleeping pill was it?

Wondering if it was the pill that ultimately did you in...If memory serves Chocolate Peak above the lakes sits @ 11,400 ft and the lakes themselves are no higher than mid 10,000 ft.

HAPE would be pretty unusual and HACE is usually takes a much higher altitude... did you ascend past the lakes?

One problem is headache and shortness of breath are pretty normal for the first day at altitude. Further changes in breathing pattern while sleeping at altitude are normal at first and can create a sleep apnea effect while sleeping, meaning that you're likely to wake up with a headache anyway.

This puts people at a dilemma.

The above is not medical advice

Glad Duffy is still with us.

Reactions: PPK96754

_____

Phil Edwards status
Sep 17, 2012
1st time as well last year and packed it out early. Headache, and feeling a little "off" in different ways. Everything I've read says sleeping isn't good for acclimating and to keep busy and move around etc. Yeah, seems like a sleeping pill could be pretty dangerous. Scary stuff.

Reactions: Duffy LaCoronilla

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W

Lessons learned.…

1. Acclimate.

Knowing you did a full ironman tells me you have a VERY high tolerance for discomfort and pain. You should make a note of that and not wait for it to get even "unusually bad." Even mildly bad for you might be severe for the average person? Especially as you age. A lot of things I could easily do even five years ago are not really recommended anymore...:shrug:

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
IMHO I've always felt all this was tricky - response to altitude really seems to vary at least for me. Coming from sea level I've felt anywhere from great to totally awful from 8,000 ft to 11,800 ft.

Personally I don't think taking sleeping pills while acclimating is a wise idea. Supposedly some are OK (non benzo etc) but after giving a lot of different ones when I worked night shift and seeing the effect on some people I would personally steer clear.

@Duffy LaCoronilla , I'm curious what sleeping pill was it?

Wondering if it was the pill that ultimately did you in...If memory serves Chocolate Peak above the lakes sits @ 11,400 ft and the lakes themselves are no higher than mid 10,000 ft.

HAPE would be pretty unusual and HACE is usually takes a much higher altitude... did you ascend past the lakes?

One problem is headache and shortness of breath are pretty normal for the first day at altitude. Further changes in breathing pattern while sleeping at altitude are normal at first and can create a sleep apnea effect while sleeping, meaning that you're likely to wake up with a headache anyway.

This puts people at a dilemma.

The above is not medical advice

Glad Duffy is still with us.
Trazidone.
We topped out at around 11k.

We weren’t near Chocolate Peak.

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
Knowing you did a full ironman tells me you have a VERY high tolerance for discomfort and pain. You should make a note of that and not wait for it to get even "unusually bad." Even mildly bad for you might be severe for the average person? Especially as you age. A lot of things I could easily do even five years ago are not really recommended anymore...:shrug:
I do have an ability to suffer.

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
Coca leaves.:drowning:

I lived in Mexico City for 2 1/2 years, never had a problem. Spent a bunch of time hiking from there up and never had a problem. Went back 10 years later and had a major problem.

Reactions: Autoprax

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
True facts:
1 can walk down to the the lake and swim or get ferried to Wizard Island (and hike there)
2 can fish without license in lake
3 high point is Mt. Scott (8500 ft or so), directly above me on horizon

1633715217274.png

_____

Phil Edwards status
Sep 17, 2012
1. I visited CL for the first time in September
2. National Park and Federal Recreational Lands Annual Pass for $80 got me through the $30 gate and the pass now worth the $ spent.
3. Had NO idea that lake was so big. I thought it was like a football field size or something but the lake itself easily ~5 miles across.

SeaFoamGreen

Gerry Lopez status
Apr 10, 2009
NorOR
phone camera or camera, camera? Very distinct photo. Nomex long sleeve shirt??
Google Pixel forget which one, but about a year and a half old. Think it was set to portrait mode.

No not fighting fires, that was back in my 20's. Good observation thou. Gortex rain jacket.

La Nina coming in quick. thought I'd squeeze one more trip in, but getting cold, wet, and white. Most likely be riding white wave soon.