*** Official Backpacking Thread ***

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
whats your final wieght of your pack?
I'm more of an 8-12 mile day guy. I like to stop and smell the roses, enjoy the views. Base camp 1-2 nights same spot
and day hike around the area. Usually run a 60L pack with up to 40lbs, but have slowly scaled down in weight, as I've read every #1 of weight on your back adds about #10 to your knees! Have a fun trip!
Every one pound of weight adds one pound to your knees.

• Haha
Reactions: stringcheese

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
lots of good recco's here. I appreciate everyone who posted and messaged

I had a great trip

GTW is fkn EMPTY....only ran in to one other pair out there.

beautiful fingerling trout in the streams...didn't cast as I wound up deciding
to grind miles instead of cruise. what are the size limits? I can't seem to suss
that out looking at the online regs after the fact.

drawback to lack of traffic out there is the ease with which one can lose the trail

I lost trail twice...the second time I just decided to push through overland...figured
I could always double back in a pinch given available time
and obvious landmarks.
I wound up rejoining the trail which was a good feeling after going for a couple hours
off just topo and compass.

my map was dated and apparently the spur from PCT that goes north to New Army
was no longer in service so I wound up coming back around and returning over
cottonwood pass which was better in the end as it was shorter (I was tired), but
I didn't get to fish the lakes on the way out which was my goal since I skipped
casting the streams. roughly 12/12/12 in terms of daily mileage

got home with all sorts of ideas about reducing my kit size and weight....tried a
different approach to eating/food prep that worked really well for me.

I am looking at quilt and possibly going hammock....my existing bag is old and
heavy and. I never sleep above treeline....that config seems like a lighter and
more versatile option. my 1-man tent already feels cramped so I don't feel like
the lack of interior space is an issue

crazy alpine lupine bloom in Siberian Outpost.

1593899900606.png

stringcheese

Miki Dora status
Jun 21, 2017
Question—if you went backpacking with a friend (or maybe even someone from the erBB), shared a tent and woke up in the morning with a sore bum, would you tell anyone?
Needs more context.
"I was sore the next day" can be a horror story, or a reason you're smiling so much while you walk slower.

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
So in this scenario you slept through the anal raping?

I would never sleep through anal raping on a camping trip.

I can never sleep when I camp anyway.

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
lots of good recco's here. I appreciate everyone who posted and messaged

I had a great trip

GTW is fkn EMPTY....only ran in to one other pair out there.

beautiful fingerling trout in the streams...didn't cast as I wound up deciding
to grind miles instead of cruise. what are the size limits? I can't seem to suss
that out looking at the online regs after the fact.

drawback to lack of traffic out there is the ease with which one can lose the trail

I lost trail twice...the second time I just decided to push through overland...figured
I could always double back in a pinch given available time
and obvious landmarks.
I wound up rejoining the trail which was a good feeling after going for a couple hours
off just topo and compass.

my map was dated and apparently the spur from PCT that goes north to New Army
was no longer in service so I wound up coming back around and returning over
cottonwood pass which was better in the end as it was shorter (I was tired), but
I didn't get to fish the lakes on the way out which was my goal since I skipped
casting the streams. roughly 12/12/12 in terms of daily mileage

got home with all sorts of ideas about reducing my kit size and weight....tried a
different approach to eating/food prep that worked really well for me.

I am looking at quilt and possibly going hammock....my existing bag is old and
heavy and. I never sleep above treeline....that config seems like a lighter and
more versatile option. my 1-man tent already feels cramped so I don't feel like
the lack of interior space is an issue

crazy alpine lupine bloom in Siberian Outpost.

View attachment 93915
Were you back packing solo?

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
for some reason I thought maybe @silentbutdeadly was joking...

I tried searching, but maybe I'm looking in the wrong place. is there really a trail from Bako to Frismo Beach?

@llilibel03 - yes, solo

_____

Phil Edwards status
Sep 17, 2012
whats your final wieght of your pack?
I'm more of an 8-12 mile day guy. I like to stop and smell the roses, enjoy the views. Base camp 1-2 nights same spot
and day hike around the area. Usually run a 60L pack with up to 40lbs, but have slowly scaled down in weight, as I've read every #1 of weight on your back adds about #10 to your knees! Have a fun trip!
Weighed it yesterday on a scale - 36lbs, so probably slightly over that fully packed day 1. The bear vault is 2lbs + 3lbs of food (I bring extra food in case of getting stuck, or something). I ate 1/2 package of idahoan potatoes with a trout and everything else as usual was hammer gels, energy bars, powdered hydrating packets etc. Most of what I packed in there came home (last 4 day trip I cooked nothing). Since most of those are sealed (no scent) and I don't like to/almost never cook when backpacking (I don't even cook the oatmeal), I'll probably ditch the vault altogether. I pack oatmeal, dehydrated food etc in paper sandwich bags, label and tape them shut, so I'll just vacuum seal those from now on. I feel like eating on the trail is just calorie/energy replenishment and I get no enjoyment. Those REI packaged meals are way too much food and expensive.
Also, IMO the gravity filter blows the squeeze filter away, but I'd want to double up on the attachment to the dirty water bladder. If you lost that you'd sorta be screwed.

Reactions: JBerry

tsenn

Billy Hamilton status
Feb 11, 2004
san diego
Good topic...food...it's been a long time since I did multi day backpacking trips...we never had bear canisters, or water filters...oatmeal in the morning, snacks of peanut butter/salami/etc during the day, then freeze dried dinners...those pork chops turned to cardboard in one minute...

_____

Phil Edwards status
Sep 17, 2012
In some places bear canisters are required by law. High alt, the marmots would rip through your tent and smash that salami and peanut butter. I like the Ursack style bags if I don't have to carry a canister and haven't looked if they're acceptable in those places. The sacks fill the little gaps below and above when packed and the bear vault style ones are big and bulky, and often difficult to open in the cold.

Reactions: Mr Doof

r32

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 1, 2005
Cambria
In some places bear canisters are required by law. High alt, the marmots would rip through your tent and smash that salami and peanut butter. I like the Ursack style bags if I don't have to carry a canister and haven't looked if they're acceptable in those places. The sacks fill the little gaps below and above when packed and the bear vault style ones are big and bulky, and often difficult to open in the cold.
Some sacks are approved, others are not. Choose wisely or you could be hiking back out on no food.

crustBrother

Kelly Slater status
Apr 23, 2001
Gotta get the see-through plastic so that when you've got a big group and a bunch of cans you can see what's inside them all and find the one you want to open.

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
bear cannisters is a fraught conversation

I left mine behind; I don't feel great about it

I like to eat, string up the food, and then go to the final spot to set up camp
so that there never is/was any scented item near sleeping location

I also pee everywhere

r32

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 1, 2005
Cambria
I left mine behind; I don't feel great about it
Why? Pack it in, pack it out. A cub could get it's head stuck in one of those things. Not to mention it really does suck showing up to a remote spot and trash left behind by other backpackers.(n)

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: PPK96754