*** Official 2023 Community Surf Journal ***

Havoc

Phil Edwards status
May 23, 2016
in da hood next to paradise
4-6' Playgrounds with a smattering of over head bombs. Crowd varied from tolerable to wtf. 50/50 mix of competent/rippers and shoulder dwellers. Caught my share(although a guide from elsewhere asked me to slow down) including a couple of bombs. Killer food at Nicawaves post session. Possibly Popoyo at 1:30 rising tide/second shift
6-2 basalt twinzer working well, but plans to update the file and redo
wave hog haha!

Maz

Michael Peterson status
May 18, 2004
Innzid
Your posts (not this one, specifically, but in general), have had me really considering the idea of taking the family to NZ. I went with some friends when I was 18-19, so it's been 20 years, but man, it looks enticing.
There's a lot to do and see in a relatively small country (albeit with windy, narrow roads). And it's probably different enough from wherever one calls home to be really interesting. It's becoming very expensive, though, so bear that in mind.

need 4 speed

Phil Edwards status
Nov 1, 2003
SoCal
wave hog haha!
In my defense, there were a half dozen locals and 4 guides that all got more waves than me. The guide that said something, earlier caught one of the biggest waves to come through and turned & burned on a mid size on his paddle back out. Pinching off the shoulder hoppers, so it seemed a little BS to me. If the Euros and East coast noobs don't want to paddle up to the top of the point, how long should I wait?

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
He must have been the one in the bright yellow LS rashie quietly taking the place apart (the guides talk out in the water)

He does wear a yellow rashguard and surfs very well. And can get you set up for a future trip

Reactions: need 4 speed

santacruzin

Kelly Slater status
Oct 17, 2007
valley purgatory
Today was so fun! Rode my 6’2 twin at that one point.
At one point some dumbass kid on a oversized tomo paddled right around me, looked right at him as I roasted the sh!t out of him. Starting to figure it out hahaha

Watched the Dane show after my session . Dam he is ripping.

may surf again this afternoon before the superstorm comes

Last edited:

Havoc

Phil Edwards status
May 23, 2016
in da hood next to paradise
In my defense, there were a half dozen locals and 4 guides that all got more waves than me. The guide that said something, earlier caught one of the biggest waves to come through and turned & burned on a mid size on his paddle back out. Pinching off the shoulder hoppers, so it seemed a little BS to me. If the Euros and East coast noobs don't want to paddle up to the top of the point, how long should I wait?
:cheers:
glad ur gettin some bruh!

Reactions: need 4 speed

need 4 speed

Phil Edwards status
Nov 1, 2003
SoCal
Afternoon Popoyo, onshore, low tide, drained out 3-5' waste for time. Mind numbing how many were out. 2/7 don't care if I bang again

• Sad
Reactions: Havoc

gbg

Miki Dora status
Jan 22, 2006
4-6' Playgrounds with a smattering of over head bombs. Crowd varied from tolerable to wtf. 50/50 mix of competent/rippers and shoulder dwellers. Caught my share(although a guide from elsewhere asked me to slow down) including a couple of bombs. Killer food at Nicawaves post session. Possibly Popoyo at 1:30 rising tide/second shift
6-2 basalt twinzer working well, but plans to update the file and redo
Envious. Get one for us. I've surfed like 5 times since Thanksgiving. Gone for 5 weeks, covid a week, eye infection 2 weeks. Pollution. Stormy. 2023 has been horrible for me surf wise.

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
Got better for the afternoon session.
Oh on sets and some punch.

sneaky small barrels too. I fucking love surfing!

sidenote hoping the storm tomorrow washes out the road completely. I can ride my bike to get where I need to be.
Best move ever :roflmao:
where did you move to? SB?

Maz

Michael Peterson status
May 18, 2004
Innzid
Outer point this morning with good size, but sh!t shape. Uncrowded though, and pleasant.

Middle point this afternoon and the swell period had shot up. Firing and super good fun, and again somehow uncrowded.

A good day.

tedshred5

Michael Peterson status
Aug 5, 2015
bit of a crowd this AM due to the offshore groomed conditions. quickly dropping tide so set waves started to get dumpy towards the end of the session. I'm either gaining some lbs, or out of paddling shape, or both :rolleyes:

need 4 speed

Phil Edwards status
Nov 1, 2003
SoCal
3-6' solid but a little lully Santana beach break. 15 or so out, about half 14-20 year old Nica rippers that paddle like kids that spend the vast majority of their time surfing pumping beach break, intent on getting the lion share of the sets(which they do) Crowd slowly faded to me solo when the quality started to degrade. Ton of power and unloading a bit on the inner bar on the high tide.Got burned a couple times, caught a screamer left set that fired off super hollow on the inner bar, not quite a tube, more flying down the line under the lip (trying to slow down). Back to check Popoyo this afternoon with the increase in swell some other opportunities open up. Popoyo is a sh!t show, like surfing lower, with a tighter take off zone. Santana crowd is more likely Southside HB pier with a 50-75 yard wide take off zone. Getting pretty annoyed at the crowds here and its the slow season. Pretty much every wave is a jockeying paddle battle. One of the other guest told about his session there this morning: fun earlier turning into an hour+ trying to catch a decent one in.

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
I too felt slow and outta shape after not much water time the past couple weeks. Was almost good at local reef at low tide. Just a bit wonky but some fun sections on the varial lightbringer with Pyzel twins. Tough work connecting most waves through, but every 4-5th one would line up and run.

Funny chit: ok, so wife has been outta town the past few days, and my kids have been dealing with a stomach bug: first the 4-yr old Fri-Sat, then the 6 yr old Sun-Mon. Projectile vomiting in the middle of the night from the top bunk, diarrhea, bed-wetting, more vomiting. I been sleeping on the floor of their room the past 3 nights to make sure they don’t choke on their vomit. It’s been a lot. Well, I guess it finally got me. Been firehosing / mud butt since last night. Went a few times this morning, but a window to surf opened up...
Just as I got suited up, I felt a rumble. Uh oh. Am I going to explode in the water? Looked around and noticed a portapotty at a nearby construction site... Praise Bethany and Jeebus! Strolled over in my booties and suit, stocked to find it looked like it had been recently cleaned and stocked with TP! Did my disgusting biz, and pulled up my suit, and paddled out. No worries! :LOL:

Last edited:

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
3-6' solid but a little lully Santana beach break. 15 or so out, about half 14-20 year old Nica rippers that paddle like kids that spend the vast majority of their time surfing pumping beach break, intent on getting the lion share of the sets(which they do) Crowd slowly faded to me solo when the quality started to degrade. Ton of power and unloading a bit on the inner bar on the high tide.Got burned a couple times, caught a screamer left set that fired off super hollow on the inner bar, not quite a tube, more flying down the line under the lip (trying to slow down). Back to check Popoyo this afternoon with the increase in swell some other opportunities open up. Popoyo is a sh!t show, like surfing lower, with a tighter take off zone. Santana crowd is more likely Southside HB pier with a 50-75 yard wide take off zone. Getting pretty annoyed at the crowds here and its the slow season. Pretty much every wave is a jockeying paddle battle. One of the other guest told about his session there this morning: fun earlier turning into an hour+ trying to catch a decent one in.

Americans ruin everything..

Reactions: rowjimmytour