***Official 2022 Community Surf Journal***

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
I scored this morning too but YOU NEEDED TO BE IN THE RIGHT PLACE AT THE RIGHT TIME. My usual was walled. I got on another spot at low tide before the wind came up. I sat next to a friendly duuu from Hawai'i who remarked on the total lack of etiquette in California. Mofos who usually surf the spot were back-paddling in the entire lineup. One duu on a boar the size of a canoe would back paddle everyone and even burn you if he was out of position (you know who you are, kook!). Come on, guys, we need to go back to fist fighting if we're not going to have manners. Plenty of us are game.

Nevertheless, I got a bunch of rights. The Hawaiian complemented me on one of my turns so maybe they are actually starting to look better. I'm definitely bringing the wraps all the way around better. It's weird that even when I have more time on these bigger walls, I don't want to ruin the ride so I don't commit as much as I should to my first and second turns.

SHould be better tomorrow.

r32

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 1, 2005
Cambria
Hitting good here. Really calm oceans and clean lines. Biggest spot is about 10-12' and cranking on the real sets but that reef is the biggest south swell magnet around. Other spots between 3-6' and solid. Pretty epic conditions with crazy cloud cover. Does not feel like mid summer.

Guy in the parking lot said there were multiple lightning strikes in Monterey. Crazy day.

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
Generally I believe these people are not swabbing correctly.

Just my 2 cents.

I love it when everyone in the house has COVID, except one person, who despite being sick as a dog tests negative through the whole thing.

Seen this happen several times.

Most recently it was my mom.

Dad had COVID, mom had "just a sinus infection" lack of appetite, barely left the bed for 2 days. I'm literally LOL'ing.

I had to instruct my dad on proper technique, of course she was pissed when he did it proper, and of course she tested positive.
Yep I tested negative throughout and was the index case in the family. Had residual sinus/lung butter for weeks.

That down time combined with way too much paddling in a 5/4 after resulted in an asymmetrical right shoulder; full range of motion but paddling causes pain - doing PT for it. Golf doesn't hurt it, though. Go figure. Haven't been able to surf in many weeks but been running a lot so actually not in horrible shape - training for marathon next month. Coming down to SoCal next week. AFTER this swell - go figure. Well, maybe everyone will be surfed out and it will be empty. :monkey:

doc_flavonoid

Michael Peterson status
Dec 27, 2019
I scored this morning too but YOU NEEDED TO BE IN THE RIGHT PLACE AT THE RIGHT TIME. My usual was walled. I got on another spot at low tide before the wind came up. I sat next to a friendly duuu from Hawai'i who remarked on the total lack of etiquette in California. Mofos who usually surf the spot were back-paddling in the entire lineup. One duu on a boar the size of a canoe would back paddle everyone and even burn you if he was out of position (you know who you are, kook!). Come on, guys, we need to go back to fist fighting if we're not going to have manners. Plenty of us are game.
so you blow in to a spot and the locals paddle around you and eat. sounds like you picked up some scraps so whats ur beef?

you couldve tried ur luck at my local today. tread lightly and ur cool and may get few. bring that attitude and youll be heckled to beach.

ever surf the westside in the 80's? and cowells doesnt count. didnt think so.

only lack of etiquette in california is not knowing ur place with every wannabe bro paddling out whereever suits them and thinking they get in line like its disneyland, hey hawai'i guy, were they passing out numbers today at bowls? now serving number 27...?

fuckme runnin

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
so you blow in to a spot and the locals paddle around you and eat. sounds like you picked up some scraps so whats ur beef?

you couldve tried ur luck at my local today. tread lightly and ur cool and may get few. bring that attitude and youll be heckled to beach.

ever surf the westside in the 80's? and cowells doesnt count. didnt think so.

only lack of etiquette in california is not knowing ur place with every wannabe bro paddling out whereever suits them and thinking they get in line like its disneyland, hey hawai'i guy, were they passing out numbers today at bowls? now serving number 27...?

fuckme runnin
This is rich, coming from a Lunada Bay guy who blew in up north.

And etiquette in CA sucks because bad behavior rarely gets called out and insta-locing is permitted.

This is why lineups many places outside the USA tend to run so much more effectively.

Last edited:
Reactions: Havoc

teeroi

Miki Dora status
Oct 21, 2007
eastside oahu
hey hawai'i guy, were they passing out numbers today at bowls? now serving number 27...?
No, never. There’s a pecking order and it can be confusing at times but it’ll sort itself out for you at any infraction.

Just last week 5 randoms paddled out to Big Bowl got in the way of Uncle Brian and were told to beat it. They paddled over to Middles, where we could see them getting sounded and they never had a chance.

I’d say something about the Hawaii visitor giving out unsolicited compliments but I’m trying to lessen the toxicity of my posts.

doc_flavonoid

Michael Peterson status
Dec 27, 2019
This is rich, coming from a Lunada Bay guy who blew in up north.

And etiquette in CA sucks because bad behavior rarely gets called out and insta-locing is permitted.

This is why lineups many places outside the USA tend to run so much more effectively.
might be rich but not wrong.

and fwiw, i dont claim status. getting waves is easy when you put in the time and know your place in the ecosystem.

simple lessons. easy to learn as grom. lost on the adult learner keyboard warrior crew

Senor Sopa

Billy Hamilton status
Mar 11, 2015
Ponto
Well, let's get back on track.

Everybody can thank me for all the wave over last 4 days. Out of town. Went to the land of Nard for my sons wedding. Hanging out at the resort just up the way from B5fins beach. Argh, the wave looked good, lol, way better than any pure beaches in my city.

On the way up, we stopped at Clowny Line for lunch. All I can say, is "The Kook is Strong" there. This duu is great example.
1658238790499.png

It took this guy 10 minutes to remove his wetsuit. The pic don't show it, but he had three of the doors wide open before. The large storage container came out, On goes the poncho, but he shedded the wettie onto the ground. Next he put the wettie into the box, and whipped out the 5 gallon water jug. Rinse, toss wettie into back, without a care. I thought it strange how there was so much ritual, only to end with a carefree toss into the back. Duu then rinses hisself off, ok, that's normal. Then, he very thoroughly washes off the softop. After all this, jumps in truck, no shirt, and heads back to Venture area. I commented to my wife that I've been doing it wrong all these years. Best/worst part, the very next guy that was done surging, had pretty much the same setup. I left saddened and confused.

Ok, surf report. Driving back home, through the 20 miles of Malibu, I saw peeps at spots that I didn't even know were spots.

Back home, I have to check PPP, OMG, it's huge and Crack's looks like a left point. Key work "looks". Unpack at home, decompress for a bit, Have to go out, it's pumping. Head on down to the Reef, uggh, what a mess. Back up to north end of town. Paddle out at the spot with stairs, almost all the way out, just got crushed by a set. Paddle north to the next set of stairs, nobody there, where, sometimes, the reef there can handle larger waves. It wasn't. I waited, and waited, and waited to catch one on a boil. Cool, got in early enough to try some s-turns. First wave, Oops, back foot almost slipped of the tail. I says to myself, "I waited too long, I aint falling", somehow manage to recover in time to get a perfect speed generating turn. Raced through a few sections and kicked out before involving myself in the ugly zone. Sigh, no more came in. Dejected, I paddled back south to the original paddle out spot, where there were 50 peeps. Waited another 30 minutes or so, nobody was catching anything. Ugh, just turned around and paddled in in disgust. Made it to shore with no waves. Of course that's when the set hit. It looked meh, lumpy, and not too rideable. This is what one gets for waiting until the afternoon to surf. In hindsight, should've just gone out at the first spot.

Final Score: 3 hours of time, two spots, one wave

Swallow Tail

Billy Hamilton status
Oct 6, 2017
Your Mom’s House
No, never. There’s a pecking order and it can be confusing at times but it’ll sort itself out for you at any infraction.

Just last week 5 randoms paddled out to Big Bowl got in the way of Uncle Brian and were told to beat it. They paddled over to Middles, where we could see them getting sounded and they never had a chance.

I’d say something about the Hawaii visitor giving out unsolicited compliments but I’m trying to lessen the toxicity of my posts.
Thankfully there are pockets of spots around here that are still like that. well behaved visitors can get waves n the ones w no manners don’t.

observation: when a lineup passes the “saturation point“ there are so many kooks order starts to become impossible, n even the mellow locals/regulars with typically perfect manners can start to “eat their own” and it’s just a mess. That happens enough at a spot it becomes tough to stop that boulder frm rolling down hill. It’s a bummer.

toowalled

Nep status
Jul 3, 2014
Well, let's get back on track.

Everybody can thank me for all the wave over last 4 days. Out of town. Went to the land of Nard for my sons wedding. Hanging out at the resort just up the way from B5fins beach. Argh, the wave looked good, lol, way better than any pure beaches in my city.

On the way up, we stopped at Clowny Line for lunch. All I can say, is "The Kook is Strong" there. This duu is great example.
View attachment 134053

It took this guy 10 minutes to remove his wetsuit. The pic don't show it, but he had three of the doors wide open before. The large storage container came out, On goes the poncho, but he shedded the wettie onto the ground. Next he put the wettie into the box, and whipped out the 5 gallon water jug. Rinse, toss wettie into back, without a care. I thought it strange how there was so much ritual, only to end with a carefree toss into the back. Duu then rinses hisself off, ok, that's normal. Then, he very thoroughly washes off the softop. After all this, jumps in truck, no shirt, and heads back to Venture area. I commented to my wife that I've been doing it wrong all these years. Best/worst part, the very next guy that was done surging, had pretty much the same setup. I left saddened and confused.

Ok, surf report. Driving back home, through the 20 miles of Malibu, I saw peeps at spots that I didn't even know were spots.

Back home, I have to check PPP, OMG, it's huge and Crack's looks like a left point. Key work "looks". Unpack at home, decompress for a bit, Have to go out, it's pumping. Head on down to the Reef, uggh, what a mess. Back up to north end of town. Paddle out at the spot with stairs, almost all the way out, just got crushed by a set. Paddle north to the next set of stairs, nobody there, where, sometimes, the reef there can handle larger waves. It wasn't. I waited, and waited, and waited to catch one on a boil. Cool, got in early enough to try some s-turns. First wave, Oops, back foot almost slipped of the tail. I says to myself, "I waited too long, I aint falling", somehow manage to recover in time to get a perfect speed generating turn. Raced through a few sections and kicked out before involving myself in the ugly zone. Sigh, no more came in. Dejected, I paddled back south to the original paddle out spot, where there were 50 peeps. Waited another 30 minutes or so, nobody was catching anything. Ugh, just turned around and paddled in in disgust. Made it to shore with no waves. Of course that's when the set hit. It looked meh, lumpy, and not too rideable. This is what one gets for waiting until the afternoon to surf. In hindsight, should've just gone out at the first spot.

Final Score: 3 hours of time, two spots, one wave
Dudes probably from newbury park:socrazy:

teeroi

Miki Dora status
Oct 21, 2007
eastside oahu
Dude, they're just being friendly!
Duu, just trying to be funny by posting something that doesn’t really mean anything.

I assumed I wouldn’t have to explain that to you cause you post a lot of things that doesn’t really mean anything, except the funny part.

I keed, I keed. Gonna paddle out to my regular where I can back paddle randoms and I don’t have to give half hearted compliments to get a wave. Aloha

estreet

Miki Dora status
Feb 19, 2021
Southern Cali
View attachment 134053

I rinse the wettie when I get home, then soak it in lemon water with fresh mint leaves from the garden so the next day it’s lemony fresh. :cool:

• Wow
Reactions: MathDebater

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
Yesterday I scored midday, early afternoon. Head high plus. First real waves in over 2 weeks.

I wore a watch to time sets but it was useless. 8 minutes, 6 minutes 15 minutes, 20 minutes. Yeah, there were some long lulls and then 6-10 wave sets that made it feel like a winter day.

No crowd. My guess is some people pulled up to check it, watched for 15 minutes, saw dribblers and so they left. My last wave was a smaller one and I almost paddled back out to wait for another big set, but decided to save some energy for tomorrow (today). Met a friend on the way up and we watched for over 30 minutes and no sets....glad I got out.

Shoulder's sore but I'm gonna pound some vitamin I (Ibuprofen) and go back for more punishmnent...got get it while the gettings good. :jamon:

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
might be rich but not wrong.

and fwiw, i dont claim status. getting waves is easy when you put in the time and know your place in the ecosystem.

simple lessons. easy to learn as grom. lost on the adult learner keyboard warrior crew
SInce you had to get into it with me, let's address this. SoCal is basically Manhattan by the Sea now. Gone are the seaside slums and blue collar beach towns. Kids can't afford to stay. Wave upon wave of transplants and blow-ins comes here from all over the planet. Being a transplant from SoCal yourself, you should understand this. There were some fair points made about big 'L' Locals having the right-of-way, but that doesn't mean they can completely throw-out manners especially when they are back-paddling other locals and this is SoCal. For my part, I waited my turn and worked my way in. I got plenty of waves since I can read the lineup and paddle.

You definitely sound like you're from PV rather than N. SF Bay - like you transplanted but remained a Bay Boy mentally. None of my friends up there who surf talk about "putting in the time" because it's not Lunada Bay where locals stand on the bluffs "putting in time" rather than surfing. They drive all over the place to fickle spots depending on the wind, tide and swell so I've never heard them talk about "their local."

When was the last time you posted about your own surf session ITT? It seems like you're on here to police (imagined) behavior as if you're still standing on the bluffs overlooking Lunada with the other Bay Boys. Since you've been giving unsolicited advice, let me give you some: less talk, more surfing.