***Official 2022 Community Surf Journal***

Woke AF

Tom Curren status
Jul 29, 2009
Southern Tip, Norcal
First surf in a while. Was COVID exposed and thought I had mild symptoms. Isolated :shrug:

Mid day dropping tide and swell. Still jacking well overhead inner and outer bar and outer inner bar.:toilet:

Paddle out was 45 minutes to get to the inner and outer bar area and two blocks lateral drift. Thirty minutes in a guy paddles up from behind me 10 ft off my shoulder. Another wave does its business on us and he ends up 30 yards inside of me. Did not get past where the occasional Gigantor clamshell would jack up and open right in front of me. On one special occasion, the beast bounced me off the bottom twice in one hold down.

Caught one morphy crossed up grinder and rode it in. ugh.
Wondering?

271798054_10159875897702700_9107883699552616421_n.jpg

sh3

Michael Peterson status
Dec 1, 2008
Still not myself, so grabbed the log (again) and headed to the place that Never-Throws, it's Forever-Slow. Caught a few silly ones among the stus and got some water time in. Saw some quality low tide drainers on the point with no one trying, but didn't bring the bar-o'-soap. Need to next time!

Tomorrow is the classic. I'm out. Wondering if the surf will still deliver. Hope it does for them.

MathDebater

Michael Peterson status
Apr 13, 2016
SD
Smaller with less consistency but still enough to make my usual reefs pretty fun. I opted for the banjo today and sheesh was it fun. I think I surfed with sbd because I got dropped in on three times, two of which I was able to catch and pass the guys, so those ones were sort of fun. Lots of high speed wraps and off the tops. I’m beat, day four of 2-3 hour sessions The conditions have been beautiful, the visibility today was about as good as it gets for this zone.

Senor Sopa

Billy Hamilton status
Mar 11, 2015
Ponto
Three days in a row, pretty good for me. Reading all the report from guys south of me, I'm missing it.
Funs ones, but just not enough, everyone sitting. Still, mo betta than not trying. Couldn't decide if it's still dropping or something new trying to pick up.

Funny chit: Caught nice one, plenty of solid turns. As it gets inside, it's more of a "I think I can make this section" kind of thing, and you try to see how far you can go, daring the wave to closeout. Eventually, the wave will win. Last section, wave doubles up, I'm on top half. As as I try to pull out, wave drops/folds/flips whatever. I'm tossed, the kind where, "hey, boar may clip me". No hit, but land on my butt in knee deep brown lagoon stink, yuck.

silentbutdeadly

Duke status
Sep 26, 2005
Tower 13
Smaller with less consistency but still enough to make my usual reefs pretty fun. I opted for the banjo today and sheesh was it fun. I think I surfed with sbd because I got dropped in on three times, two of which I was able to catch and pass the guys, so those ones were sort of fun. Lots of high speed wraps and off the tops. I’m beat, day four of 2-3 hour sessions The conditions have been beautiful, the visibility today was about as good as it gets for this zone.
I wasn't there but I put the word out. If you see a guy with injured hairy feet pretend like he's not there!

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
Met my buddy who moved to la mesa for a fun late afternoon sesh at reef 2 on rising tide. Shoulder high to OH+ by the end, got better and built in size as the tide filled in. 6'7 Townsend was perfect fit for the conditions, pretty clean but softer and slopier than it looked. You had to be dropping in with the lip to catch most waves and many guys were struggling. I sat just under the pack of 8-10, and late-dropped into the SH-HH rights. Especially in first 30min, a lot of them were just a fun drop and then burger out after the first section. Kicked out of one burger and turned around and caught the next one on the boil, and it stood up and ran all the way to the inside... stocked.

Next 30 min, it got better and set were building OH+. they were starting to connect all the way through from the outside. Guys were still sitting too far out. Got a couple really fun long ones to carve up, and boar felt great. My last wave was the best: I had to paddle extra and and fade back for the first 30 yds, but then it really stood up the rest of the way and let me do 3 big drawn out figure-8's that felt really good. Was exhausted after the long paddle back out, so was kinda relieved to see that my buddy was getting out. I caught a quick left in and did the long rock dance the last 75yds to shore.

Fun fact: Didn't have my 3 mil with me, so I wore 2 mil full, with booties and hood. #kookoftheday
Plenty warm- might be my new combo for sunny winter afternoons. Amazing how much warmth a hood provides. Bonus, didn't have to wear plugs. Felt nice to wear thinner rubber since I was already pretty sore from long (for me) sessions the past 3 days.

Last edited:

j_mac

Legend (inyourownmind)
Aug 16, 2020
I have been itching for some punchy beach break waves. The one spot that can handle the bigger waves was on the softer side this week. This morning, it was spicy - clean, offshore winds, waves pitching up for fun drops and hugging the wave. The 5' 4" Plasmic was a blast. I was going to swap boards, but it was working too well to stop. In my mind, I planning for a 3-4 hr session as this is my preference. 2hrs into it, police/fire/etc kicked off the beach because of the tsunami. At least I got two hours...

bluengreen

Michael Peterson status
Oct 22, 2018
SF x Encinitas
Tsunami session. Tide dropping, hard offshore, 7 feet at 15 seconds. Classic Beach. Got out relatively easy on the 8'6. Pretty crowded for the size because everyone was sticking to the same coupla bars. One big 5-6 wave set when I got out, but I was still trying to get the heart rate down and not ready to get stuck inside, so I let a good one pass. After that, a lot of sitting and positioning. After 20 minutes people started moving inside. Wrong idea. Big, long set has everyone scratching to the horizon. Guy breaks his leash diving through one and has to swim in. Okay. Name of the game is sit way outside and wait. Get a crack at a right. Drop, come driving around the section and into a grindy pocket before the wave shoulders out. Make it back outside no problem. Wait, wait wait for another 30 minutes just out of reach of some good ones. Finally get antsy and cold. Bomb set comes through. Lance Harriman eases in from WAY outside and behind the peak to hoots from the pack. That wave moves a lot of water off the sandbar. Next one is sucking up harder and more inside. I'm in position. Kinda late and deep, but I go because Matt Lopez yells "Go!" End up making the drop and getting stuffed. Try to get back outside, but another long set just keeps pushing me further in. Give up and march up the dunes at Noriega to watch for a while. Fuck it's pumping out there. Guys comes in with a brand new Padillac snapped clean in two. Well, he's probably more frustrated than me. Back to the wife and babes at home.

Last edited:

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
Was about to bail out of the house when my wife says something about a tsunami?! Checked online real quick, saw that only a foot or two in Hawaii and hitting around 7:45 ish. sh!t, I'm curious, checked my usual and no one in the lot except some tourists. Chilled, listened to music, burned a few, saw around 8:30 that water drained out 100 feet or so which was pretty cool but as far as incoming surge? I don't know. How do you tell with a meaty swell?

No one out in the main area, I assessed it for a while and knew where I wanted to surf. Kinda wanted to not be the only one out but people started filtering in. Was a really great peak, just dishing up grinding lefts. I usually hedge my bets on here and call it solid OH but today, no bones about it, was legit DOH. And as tide dropped, really thick with a lot of grunt behind it. So naturally I was on a 6'7". :roflmao:

Watched two guys paddle out in the channel and get dragged north and absolutely chewed by shorebreak. Took my cue from that and walked 100 feet south. So savvy and yet shorebreak came out of nowhere and I was dealt with annoyance of plowing through a dozen of those but worked out as I made it from there to outside as clean as clean gets. So worried I was going to get mowed but I timed it well. Picked off a good left right off the bat, a big turn, and out the back, also untouched. Fucking miraculous since it's a huge playing field. Was a great way to start a sesh as was kind of wave you dream about and that was first one out the gate.

Waves had such a good push and I do paddle that 6'7" well but huge, long drops going so fast on that board. It was an oeste session where was out only about an hour and a half. But got a good solid 10+ waves in that time, combined with painful paddles, was not too bad. Stupidly took first wave of one set and compounded stupidity by cutting back into it and going with it until petered out. Actually almost made it back out clean but meat of set (it had to be a 15 wave set) reared and I took the meanest one 10 feet in front of me. I tried to duck dive it :roflmao: and that hurt. Long, deep holddown, barely got up before next one hit me. Other guy out and I were cracking up about our respective beatings. So yeah, 4 of us out within 100 yards or so for all of this and it was sooooooo good. Makes me NOT want to travel - I mean, why? Well, then there's spring. But anyways.

And hey 100% success rate on all waves. But I deeply regret this bomb left where it looked like I was 30 feet too far back and I passed. Watched it from behind and I deeply regret my sacklessness. I should have gone as it was perfect and it was standup barrel whole way across and I hate myself but there is tomorrow for redemption.

Took another large set on the head paddling back out. This time ditched (and I NEVER ditch), still got rolled, and had a moment of horror where I felt a void off my ankle but thank god leash and board held. Laughed with the other guy I was sharing a peak with that, damn man I want to go home! :roflmao: Fast dropping tide was making already thick waves jack hard and throw. People drop 5 figures for waves like this but man, I was more than happy to grab a relatively benign wave (still solidly OH), do a couple turns, and take as far in as possible before whitewash petered out. Traded story with other 3 guys out (all charging hard) for a few and bailed.

So. Fucking. Stocked. :jamon:

MathDebater

Michael Peterson status
Apr 13, 2016
SD
Yesterday was another day of scoring on the hipster stap. I wasn’t fully committed to surfing because my window was during higher tide but it was draining so fast that I went for it at one of my usual spots. A bunch of the old loccs were out so that made it a bit tougher to get waves at first but I figured it out eventually and got a ton of fun ones, no barrels on tap but fun walls perfect for swooping. Two bomb sets came through when I sitting outside, a guy missed one in the first set so I spun for it and spectacularly sent myself over the falls. I was totally spent when the second one came and probably missed my wave of the day. Epic week of surf, I don’t know the last time I surfed five long days in a row.

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
flexed my old locc status at my favorite high tide reef. stuffed a few new faces and had fun saying hi to old friends between sets.

forgot how well I have that spot figured out when there’s some swell. happy with my weekend wave count after missing out on the fun mid week.

sh3

Michael Peterson status
Dec 1, 2008
Hit a spot north of town. Surflie was calling it 5' faces. Buoys showed 8-9' at 13 seconds from 290. Figured it might be 15' on the face so brought my 6'8" Hess step-up.

WHOA.

Was more like 20+ on the face with a 25-30' set coming through and plowing everyone. I could've used - and wished I had - the new 8'0" from Danny. Caught 5 waves, blew one drop that I should've absolutely had, but had some fun. Came in on a fun one.

Only about 10 guys made the paddle out. There was one guy out absolutely dominating the conditions. He was on an 8'0".

Lesson learned.

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
That's some heavy sh!t, sh3, and on a 6'8"! I love it. Kudos. :cheers:

Little bit smaller today and sets were more inconsistent and shorter period but the base swell was very consistent. There were lulls when I was first checking it but by time I was back to paddle out, seemingly unending series of waves. I did not feel like waiting 20 minutes so just said screw it, waited for a gap in the initial shorebreak and just slowly but steadily worked my way outside duck dive after duck dive. Long exhausting paddle out.

But right off the bat, got two solid set waves, both nice barrels, and just getting chandeliered/axed at the end. Took a DOH set on the head paddling out after the second one, tried to duckdive it all and got drilled by all of them when they broke a handful of feet in front of me. Somehow that just threw me off mentally and physically and I went into a terrible funk, just completely out of position. The tide flip put this weird rip warble through the waves and just hard to get over that and into waves because they jacked and threw fast after you got over that warble.

Super frustrating for a while there but then pulled my head out of my ass and got a flurry of good waves. The other few people out had gone in by then so it was just me for the remainder of my sesh. Somehow it helped me snap out of my funk because it turned into a barrelfest for me. Super steep drops on backhand, barreled right off the takeoff and just streaking as far as could go. Had one which I knew I should have stuck my hand in the face and slowed down just a little bit but being slotted clean and hauling so much ass through that long barrel felt so good I didn't really want to slow down. However, when end section dumptrucked on me (I stalled for that section :roflmao:), took a fin to the ribs hard. Thankful for that extra rubber - still going to have a nice bruise. Hurt to paddle a bit and also seemed to crack the two main knuckles on my left hand as there is a goose egg rising there too.

Licked my wounds a little, got a fart around wave that left me taking a long set on the head and I was beat by then but perfect left rose right up, steep late drop right into the barrel, down the line slotted in it a long ways, cutback to end it, rode out closeout, and bellied it to sand with an inside right barrel that I proned through and then got dumped hard on sand. Fitting end. Stocked, lot of good waves today although not quite as clean as yesterday.

Hurting right now but it's a good hurt. Nothing that can't be cured with a few beers.

Last edited:

j_mac

Legend (inyourownmind)
Aug 16, 2020
Today was awesome - 4hrs, the body is exhausted and the mind is extremely content :)! Nice headland break with multiple walling sections resulting in long surfs and lots of play time mixed in neighboring shore break depending on the timing of the sets. 5' 6" Twinsman worked beautifully! I am digging the shorter Twinsman!

MathDebater

Michael Peterson status
Apr 13, 2016
SD
Another day of low tide fun at one of my winter stand by Spots. I tried to paddle around the inside And out instead of the normal paddle out north of the peak. It almost worked but the current swept me under the pack as a set came in, two guys decided to party wave one in front of me, I should’ve been in the clean but the deeper dude lost balance and swerved towards me. I got popped in the arm and on my board but both were fine. So far the glassing on both my epoxy von sols has been amazing. I made it out after that in time to watch all the loccs send it on easily the best set I’ve seen at this spot so far this winter, pitching off the drop then running down The line. All of them made admirable attempts but got slammed In the barrel. I was up next and…. Got dropped in on by a SBD just far enough down the line to make it impossible To make. SBD’s been all over me this week. I got two fun rights after that with some mellow off the tops, one big float and cuttys. I tried waiting for another big set but got impatient. Got a bunch more fun insiders before the current wore me down and I called it on a racey left against the grain. Been an epic five day run! I’m loving my fish step up