***Official 2022 Community Surf Journal***

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
Clean lil thigh-high dreamers this afternoon at a local reef. Rode the 6’4 PlasmEgg again. Split the peak with a SUP sweeping the left so I went right the whole time. Most waves were just cruising, hipster-crouching, and trimming from the middle of the board before it ran into a little section on the inside to float over before kicking out over 6” of water. Entry rocker is so flat, I feel like I paddle so far forward on it and have to remember to slide back to the tail when popping up. Got 2 sets that offered a steeper drop that the boar handled well from the tail and a wall i could fit a couple snaps on. Haven’t surfed much the past month, so I was Stocked.

Tarab_ish

Legend (inyourownmind)
Nov 14, 2018
20 min surf at the north end of the beach this morning. chest high tide inner sandbar looked like it might be fun but got out and it was more walled than I thought, had brought the good wave shortboard for some reason so felt like waaay too much board. pulled into two lil' micro double up closeouts then went in. should have bodysurfed. real waves coming!

silentbutdeadly

Duke status
Sep 26, 2005
Tower 13
Maiden voyage on the new groveler in crap waves. So far so good. Not as grovely as my sub (expected) but more shortboardy. Very fluid transitions from skatey drive sections to smooth turns and roundies. Couple of lip bashes and the board stayed with my feet wel. Construction feels light, snappy and crisp. Maybe could have gone a tad thinner but it's a groveler so I'm not really concerned. Here she is all dressed up after our romp.
balance.jpg

sh3

Michael Peterson status
Dec 1, 2008
5 days on Maui visiting the whole famn damily for Chrismahannakwanzika... wind never stopped, waves were weak the entire time. Scored maybe one session at the Harbor and one session at T-----s. So be it.

Flew to Kona. On day 7 of this one. Surf hasn't stopped. Weeeeeeeeee.... scored a solid and non-stop OH+ day yesterday on the 5'8" Tomo round nose V4 (old Old OLD faithful). Late takeoffs over the boils going left - exciting for this regular foot. Hoping for more of it today. Wifey even scored on her 7'2" Seaside & Beyond surfing the inside reforms. Everyone's happy. Ba----'s was loaded with people. so surfed K------- instead with just 5 other guys. One guy destroyed his board and 3 guys weren't going for the set waves... which mostly closed out but were so damn exciting. L O V E D I T

Who doesn't love this ocean life?!?!

tedshred5

Michael Peterson status
Aug 5, 2015
Maiden voyage on the new groveler in crap waves. So far so good. Not as grovely as my sub (expected) but more shortboardy. Very fluid transitions from skatey drive sections to smooth turns and roundies. Couple of lip bashes and the board stayed with my feet wel. Construction feels light, snappy and crisp. Maybe could have gone a tad thinner but it's a groveler so I'm not really concerned. Here she is all dressed up after our romp.
View attachment 122003
that thing looks fkn fun

Reactions: silentbutdeadly

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
View attachment 121783
I can’t remember if Daily Dale said the first surf of the year or the first surf on your birthday sets the tone for your year of waves. Hope it’s birthday because I jacked up my 9 4 epoxy on my last wave yesterday. High tide beach break connecting the outside soft peaks to the inside shorepound. Last wave I pulled out too late and the board slammed onto the sand. Bummer, going camping for a few days but looks like a bump up in the surf so hopefully I won’t need the LB anyways.

Was really hoping this wasn't the case because my New Year's day surf wasn't that great.
You're both screwed. He said it was the first surf of the year.

I'm glad I don't believe in such sayings. :computer:

• Sad
Reactions: b.r.

sh3

Michael Peterson status
Dec 1, 2008
Last day in Kona this morning. Had to run from the break to the airport for a Mokulele flight that was bumped up in time for take off. Surfed H---l's with just 4-5 other people and had a blast. Lots of good vibes. Great rights. 3 California wavestormers showed up and tried to take over the peak. I was one wave from yelling at them to show respect... then caught my last wave in. Left on a great vibe. Love Kona and WILL be moving there.

Now sitting on Maui, missing the chill of Hawaii.

bigglesworth

Legend (inyourownmind)
Mar 8, 2017
Wonky swell this morn but plenty of it. Mostly closing out. I was a bit under-slept. Ate sh*t hard on one drop as I wasn't sufficiently angled and hit my my head pretty hard against the water. Came up seeing stars which was amusing. Still, got a pretty good left.

As the tide went out this sort of double sandbar was created and two waves were breaking concurrently quite close to each other and it became hard to paddle out.

Big tree floating around the lineup, glad I didn't run into it as I bellied in. Better luck tomorrow I guess.