***Official 2022 Community Surf Journal***

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
Too small to shortboar

View attachment 144837

Still too small for the New Flyer the last 2 days. Yesterday morning more run and drop with the 42" boog, dropping into about an inch of water as the little shorebreak rolls up, then hit an incoming wave and fall off into waist deep water or just skid to a halt. Either way not covering much distance, its a steep beach and I am out of practice with brisk running without face planting. Its also not the best skimboar. Boog on the left is the 39" "Rad Bug" from Decathlon store in Bangkok, on the right a 42" Maui and Sons from another sports store locally. I started on the Rad Bug to give my wife a planing area advantage on the M & S. Then my wife thought the Rad Bug was better quality after inspecting them both, so we swapped a couple of days ago. She is quite right, the Rad Bug is much stiffer. The Maui and Sons is showing some wrinkles where its softer deck and slick hull surfaces meet.

Similar conditions this morning. Legs need a rest so I went for a bit of a paddle on the boog and encountered a few sets which allowed the tiny swell to peak on a sandbank. Clean conditions and a well formed peak allowed me to catch the waves with just a few hand paddles and leg kicks without flippers. First time I ever got a boogie board to run across the shoulder, not that I have tried many times. I felt the board go across the face with a semi slideslip and got some rides to the beach. I could never understand why anyone proficient on a boog didn't convert to standup, but I can see the appeal now. A nice closeup view of the wave and the sensation of skidding across the surface.

A late arvo dip each day teaching my wife how to paddle the boog. There are other things to do here too. Visited a particularly artistic temple today and a waterfall. Been winging it with the boog instruction really, decided that I should look up some youtube vid in case there is something I have been missing. I have naturally been putting both elbows on the deck when catching waves as this is my duckdiving technique on the standup boars. The tutorial indicated that when riding only one elbow on the deck on the inside rail and the other hand should grab the outer rail further back. I will try this technique tomorrow hopefully when we go for our arvo boog.

The wind has come up this evening, maybe there will be a standup wave tomorrow morning.

Happy New Year everybody!
Whatever direction you are going, that hand is on the front corner, opposite hand goes halfway down the rail. The hands just keep the board under you; torso weighting the appropriate rail is what does the deed. It will not be easy to get in early enough to hold a rail with no swimfins. The 808 people going standup boogie at OTW/Backdoor, Half Point, etc. are next next level.

Lots of people can't afford sticks and/or their local is a shorebreak or complete closeout. Speed-cracks and floaters are not as fun as off-the-lip spins, rolls, ARS, etc.

Still others have (or had) access to uncrowded slab waves.

Reactions: Mr J

SirKooksALot

OTF status
Apr 1, 2020
Dear diary,

Today is day 4 of 2023 and I still suck at the sarfboarding. I believe it to be due to using a leash string without enough volume, but cannot be certain at this time. Will swap the string on my Mr. Pipeland hand shaped board from Costco and report back.

Reactions: MathDebater

Mr J

Michael Peterson status
Aug 18, 2003
Regional Vic, Australia
Whatever direction you are going, that hand is on the front corner, opposite hand goes halfway down the rail. The hands just keep the board under you; torso weighting the appropriate rail is what does the deed. It will not be easy to get in early enough to hold a rail with no swimfins. The 808 people going standup boogie at OTW/Backdoor, Half Point, etc. are next next level.

Lots of people can't afford sticks and/or their local is a shorebreak or complete closeout. Speed-cracks and floaters are not as fun as off-the-lip spins, rolls, ARS, etc.

Still others have (or had) access to uncrowded slab waves.
Cheers @Sharkbiscuit (y) I found one youtube vid that said leading hand on wave side corner of boog, is that how you do it? I was just putting my hand on the front without thinking too much about it.

I have a fairly good leg kick which I used to compensate for my weak stringy arms, so I use a fair bit of leg kick to get into waves on my HP shortboar. I could easily kick the oversize 42" boog into the peaky gulf of Thailand windswell and stay on the face of the wave without flippers, however I can imagine on days when its hard to surf back in Oz its going to be even harder to get a 3' 6" boog in early enough. That's a full 2' shorter than my HP shortie, albeit wider/stubbier. I could comfortably sit astride the boog like I do on a surfboar while waiting for waves. I was unable to standup on it. Too slippery without wax and even if it was waxed got a feeling I wouldn't have been able to do it anyway. I am keen to give the boog a go back in Oz, on the smaller rubbish days.

The unwaxed and unwrapped Maui & Sons got loaded onto the plane at the open air regional airport without drama. We were directed straight to the special assistance counter. We pointed at the leash loop string to attach the baggage label, but the counter attendant just stuck the sticky tag on the deck surface. The 39" waxed Rad Bug packed on the hull surface of my New Flyer with a layer of bubble wrap to stop wax transfer. The Creatures of Leisure bag has the length written on the handle. I sometimes get asked how long the boar is, so I can just point at the handle which says 5' 6" / 1.68m. Its just a day bag, not the thicker travel versions. Boars were treated well, while waiting to board I could see they were top loaded onto the baggage trolley. Then they were unloaded and put aside while the other baggage from the trolley got loaded into the aircraft, finally they were boarded last of all. No one else was travelling with wave riding equipment.

Possibly my imagination, but the Maui & Sons appears to have acquired a little extra rocker. There are some small wrinkles in the soft deck top surface and towards the end of the holiday a faint crease appeared across the underneath. Possibly my attempts to skim it - I didn't stamp it into the sand as I quickly found out water drops were necessary, so either it was from plowing water when hitting incoming wave bumps or maybe from getting a belting in the shore break. It was used leashless.

Was 12 straight days of being in the water every day, usually twice a day with only one day of rest, My wife liked a lie in during the morning and booged just the arvos. Normally I can't do that many sessions without rest days, but I was not pushing myself anywhere near as hard as I would on my surf days back home. Partly because the first 5 days I was weakened from food poisoning and not up to much. I think I know how cstreet feels from his lectin allergy now - all my body felt achey/tender from the toxins. Fully recovered from the food poisoning in the latter part of the trip. Got 1 1/2hrs of massage back in Bangkok, the most sports oriented Thail massage I have had so far - my wife and I pointed to the muscles that were sore from the exertion and they got worked on with extra treatment,

Packed.jpg

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
Cheers @Sharkbiscuit (y) I found one youtube vid that said leading hand on wave side corner of boog, is that how you do it? I was just putting my hand on the front without thinking too much about it.

I have a fairly good leg kick which I used to compensate for my weak stringy arms, so I use a fair bit of leg kick to get into waves on my HP shortboar. I could easily kick the oversize 42" boog into the peaky gulf of Thailand windswell and stay on the face of the wave without flippers, however I can imagine on days when its hard to surf back in Oz its going to be even harder to get a 3' 6" boog in early enough. That's a full 2' shorter than my HP shortie, albeit wider/stubbier. I could comfortably sit astride the boog like I do on a surfboar while waiting for waves. I was unable to standup on it. Too slippery without wax and even if it was waxed got a feeling I wouldn't have been able to do it anyway. I am keen to give the boog a go back in Oz, on the smaller rubbish days.

The unwaxed and unwrapped Maui & Sons got loaded onto the plane at the open air regional airport without drama. We were directed straight to the special assistance counter. We pointed at the leash loop string to attach the baggage label, but the counter attendant just stuck the sticky tag on the deck surface. The 39" waxed Rad Bug packed on the hull surface of my New Flyer with a layer of bubble wrap to stop wax transfer. The Creatures of Leisure bag has the length written on the handle. I sometimes get asked how long the boar is, so I can just point at the handle which says 5' 6" / 1.68m. Its just a day bag, not the thicker travel versions. Boars were treated well, while waiting to board I could see they were top loaded onto the baggage trolley. Then they were unloaded and put aside while the other baggage from the trolley got loaded into the aircraft, finally they were boarded last of all. No one else was travelling with wave riding equipment.

Possibly my imagination, but the Maui & Sons appears to have acquired a little extra rocker. There are some small wrinkles in the soft deck top surface and towards the end of the holiday a faint crease appeared across the underneath. Possibly my attempts to skim it - I didn't stamp it into the sand as I quickly found out water drops were necessary, so either it was from plowing water when hitting incoming wave bumps or maybe from getting a belting in the shore break. It was used leashless.

Was 12 straight days of being in the water every day, usually twice a day with only one day of rest, My wife liked a lie in during the morning and booged just the arvos. Normally I can't do that many sessions without rest days, but I was not pushing myself anywhere near as hard as I would on my surf days back home. Partly because the first 5 days I was weakened from food poisoning and not up to much. I think I know how cstreet feels from his lectin allergy now - all my body felt achey/tender from the toxins. Fully recovered from the food poisoning in the latter part of the trip. Got 1 1/2hrs of massage back in Bangkok, the most sports oriented Thail massage I have had so far - my wife and I pointed to the muscles that were sore from the exertion and they got worked on with extra treatment,

View attachment 145150
Sun/heat turns the things into floppy bogmuffins, so if you're actually trying to get down the line that's no bueno. Maybe one with a stringer(s). I would suggest giving the boog a go in closeouts/shorebreak; small/crap surf is generally not ideal for prone riding and dropknee/standup is often done to make waves lacking pop in the lip MOAR fun.

Australia is home to many excellent slabs that would be exceedingly difficult to ride on a stick. Swimfins don't exactly break the bank and they don't break easily either.

Reactions: Mr J