***Official 2021 Community Surf Journal***

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
^ I'm curious what 'the done thing' is when you hit a deer too.

1 A friend back in the 80s in Coast Range of Oregon was on his motorbike and came around a bend in the road at decent speed when a deer hopped a guardrail and he went through it. He came to with a highway trooper over him, saying something like, "Holy sh1t, you're alive!?" He was covered in deer parts and trooper didn't check for vitals or call an ambulance until Dale came to. No idea how long he was unconscious till he was found.

2 Was outside of Plush (east of Lakeview in southern Oregon), in passenger seat when a swarm of deer decided dart from the safety of a copse of alders. One ran into the side of car (others went behind our car). Squealing brakes and much swerving ensues. The one that bounced off the door staggers off the road in a daze. Grabbed the Ruger and went after it for possible mercy kill but ground cover too thick. Overhead, vultures from nowhere start to circle, so head back to car which showed no damage.

3 Headed to the Grand Canyon, and about 10 miles to the rim, saw an Escalade (or some other behemoth SUV) pulled over. Front end looked mostly ok, but there was unidentifiable furry, pulpy mass in front seats that had come through the windscreen. We thought the SUV had hit a deer/antelope/cattle and it was tall enough that the mass of the beast was above the bumper/hood to not cave in the front end and all that mass went straight into the passenger compartment.

Last edited:

Tarab_ish

Legend (inyourownmind)
Nov 14, 2018
somewhat annoying quick session this evening at the beach out front. Blew a couple easy ones, then got pissed at myself/psyched out, forgot how to stand up on another two. It's crazy how quickly 'knowing how to surf' can turn off for me sometimes. Went to the beach to go in, then paddled straight back out to try it again. eventually realized that despite looking clean and there being some size it was pretty wonky, dumpy near-closeouts on the inside bar, other people weren't catching them either. paddled down to where it was breaking a bit more outside and caught a few quick ones, then a long fast down the line left, and went in. whatever, good enough. every surf right now is just trying to get in paddle shape, and I feel like I'm getting there

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
Had some fun in the water on Saturday. Left over SSW and W combo swell that was fading. There is a huge hole right now at the harbor so the wave backs off and reforms on the higher tide. The reforms are actually more fun than the outside sets.

A friend was messing around with his GoPro after the session and got some cool shots of the guys surfing. Water was warm and clear, the sun had been out for an hour or so, and the lighting conditions were perfectly for the rights. Cymatic felt really good with the new Tomo Quad FCS fins and Firewire front fins. Yew! :cool:(y)
GX019983_Moment (2).jpg

silentbutdeadly

Duke status
Sep 26, 2005
Tower 13
reforest could film a vlog with all the footage he gets!

Resorted to desperation bar and even it didn't look good but I wanted some exercise. Not sure what happened but I got an absolute fvckton of fun waves on the fuse. Some pulses made me want more board. Mellow crowd too which is unusual for this spot. pretty fired up

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
reforest could film a vlog with all the footage he gets!

Resorted to desperation bar and even it didn't look good but I wanted some exercise. Not sure what happened but I got an absolute fvckton of fun waves on the fuse. Some pulses made me want more board. Mellow crowd too which is unusual for this spot. pretty fired up
Lucky you! Surf was pretty crappy in Oside, although not super bad. More foam would have have helped. Stoked to hear that someone scored! :jamon:

silentbutdeadly

Duke status
Sep 26, 2005
Tower 13
Lucky you! Surf was pretty crappy in Oside, although not super bad. More foam would have have helped. Stoked to hear that someone scored! :jamon:
Dude I was going to head up there cause I had an appt in Escondido but I looked at the cams from yesterday and changed my mind. Shocked at how crappy it looked.

Usually the opposite with the given buoys readings.

Reactions: ReForest and Aruka

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
Dude I was going to head up there cause I had an appt in Escondido but I looked at the cams from yesterday and changed my mind. Shocked at how crappy it looked.

Usually the opposite with the given buoys readings.
Yep. I thought it would have been a little better. I checked the lowers cam and it looked really good all day. Its mind blowing how consistent trestles can be.

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
Waves have been fairly marginal this week. Just nothing quite coming together even though there's some swell. Been dicking around on the new Lost Hydra at the local since it's about the only thing that's clean with the winds. At 5-7 it's definitely nearing the limit of how short I want to go. Sometimes my back foot lands like on top of the traction kick but adjusting my paddling position a little further forward has helped to avoid that. Rode some more upright quads in it and not sure if I liked it better than the am2's or not. Got a few backside slashes that felt good and overall had fun despite the diminutive size of the waves. The water is cold as heck but I got a new suit and booties so I was toasty.

Last edited:

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
Waves have been fairly marginal this week. Just nothing quite coming together even though there's some swell. Been dicking around on the new Lost Hydra at the local since it's about the only thing that's clean with the winds. At 5-7 it's definitely nearing the limit of how short I want to go. Sometimes my back foot lands like on top of the traction kick but adjusting my paddling position a little further forward has helped to avoid that. Rode some more upright quads in it and not sure if I liked it better than the am2's or not. Got a few backside slashes that felt good and overall had fun despite the diminutive size of the waves. The water is cold as heck but I got a new suit and booties so I was toasty.
What brand suit did you get?

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
What brand suit did you get?
Oneill Psychotech 5/4. Pretty much my go to suit for past 5+ years. I went away from them for a while because I put on weight and the MT were starting to feel too snug. I thought LT would be too loose but I finally bit the bullet and it fits well.

Surfed up North this morning. Arrived right as the locals were coming in. It looked solid kind of wild and I wasn't super excited to surf it alone but I bucked up and went for it on the 6-6 Album. Been running it as a thruster w/ jjf medium fins. Been a long time since I've ridden medium fins but they feel perfect in this boar. Took me like 20 min to catch my first wave which wasn't anything special. Tide was moving in and I couldn't figure out where to be. I think I was too far out. Caught another one that didn't do much, kicked out and then paddling back out I got a nuggy double up and linked together a couple turns. Stayed further inside after that and got a couple more fun ones. So, like 3 good waves in an hour and a half but they were so much better than the tiny mush I've been surfing locally. The sand bar at this spot isn't perfect but it's definitely improved in the past month which makes me hopeful for the future.