***Official 2021 Community Surf Journal***

MathDebater

Michael Peterson status
Apr 13, 2016
SD
Surfed a different wave from my usual selections hoping to make the most of the south swell on high tide. Rode the GMM2 as a thruster for the first time in a while, definitely felt draggy compared with riding it is a twin + nub but also felt much more controlled. Probably will experiment more with twin + nub in small reefs and thrusty for the beaches. Got it pretty much empty, managed 3 sets that allowed for some mellow turns and a bunch of scraps that immediately shouldered off in 45 min. Beautiful morning.

Reactions: Kento and oeste858

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
Surfed a different wave from my usual selections hoping to make the most of the south swell on high tide. Rode the GMM2 as a thruster for the first time in a while, definitely felt draggy compared with riding it is a twin + nub but also felt much more controlled. Probably will experiment more with twin + nub in small reefs and thrusty for the beaches. Got it pretty much empty, managed 3 sets that allowed for some mellow turns and a bunch of scraps that immediately shouldered off in 45 min. Beautiful morning.
Dude. smaller center fin. I haven't swapped out MR + trailer since I first tried a year ago- best of both worlds.
I see RK out on his 5"8 recently and he's on that setup now too #copycat He's able to surf that board like a HPSB at age 60. It's awesome to watch

MathDebater

Michael Peterson status
Apr 13, 2016
SD
I don't have anything between a DHD medium and twin nubsters. I tried it with CF Tyler Warren twins and a Futures T1 center but it still felt a bit loose in beach breaks, I think it would've been a better call today for slower reef waves.

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
I don't have anything between a DHD medium and twin nubsters. I tried it with CF Tyler Warren twins and a Futures T1 center but it still felt a bit loose in beach breaks, I think it would've been a better call today for slower reef waves.
how do you generally like those Tyler Warren fins? i've been curious about them.

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
they are twin fins so i think the bi-curiosity goes without saying:monkey:
Aruka have you got your mid length AGD hipster twin yet and what set you run? I really like the fins unlimited 2win set and love to try on more hpsb twin but its future and currently only have two boards with future other is a f4. They have a nice mix between MR template hold and drive (TA twin set fiberglass) and AMT set.

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
Aruka have you got your mid length AGD hipster twin yet and what set you run? I really like the fins unlimited 2win set and love to try on more hpsb twin but its future and currently only have two boards with future other is a f4. They have a nice mix between MR template hold and drive (TA twin set fiberglass) and AMT set.
no, i don't think allan has shipped it yet. i think he was having trouble hunting down a big enough box or something. i plan on running keels in it, at least at first.

i have quite a few twin sets but most of them are fairly upright and i like the idea of something more raked and incut.

Reactions: rowjimmytour

MathDebater

Michael Peterson status
Apr 13, 2016
SD
how do you generally like those Tyler Warren fins? i've been curious about them.
I’ve only surfed them twice so far. I haven't tried too many twins but compared to the en’s I’ve been riding in my banjos for a few years they are substantially looser. They have less drive than the en’s to a noticeable degree but I think that may also be partially the twang of the full glass en’s vs the honeycomb TW’s. I like the look of the template but I think they may be a bit soft for me. I wish they were regular fiberglass.

Reactions: oeste858 and Aruka

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
So seems like ENs are about the stiffest twin?

Quick nooner at the main reef which seemed like the only game in town on the draining tide. 25 doods out so I fed off scraps on the inside right with the Plasmic. Spend most the time trying to back door the little right section that wedges up. The couple that actually lined up a bit down the line had some weird cross-swells and warbles that made any clean turns difficult. Nothing memorable but nice to get wet. Was toasty by the end. Guess it’s time to shed the booties.

Reactions: Tarab_ish

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
I’ve only surfed them twice so far. I haven't tried too many twins but compared to the en’s I’ve been riding in my banjos for a few years they are substantially looser. They have less drive than the en’s to a noticeable degree but I think that may also be partially the twang of the full glass en’s vs the honeycomb TW’s. I like the look of the template but I think they may be a bit soft for me. I wish they were regular fiberglass.
thanks MD. the comparison to EN's is helpful since I'm familiar with those fins.

Reactions: MathDebater

Maz

Michael Peterson status
May 18, 2004
Innzid
The missus and I had another stop at Raglan, and I was stupidly lucky to catch a solid swell. Only had a 6'1 shorty with me, so was ridiculously undergunned.

Here are a couple of photos taken while drinking beer and eating chips on the hill just after my evening surf.