***Official 2021 Community Surf Journal***

Mr J

Michael Peterson status
Aug 18, 2003
Regional Vic, Australia
Dismal.JPG

Yesterday I had my second surfing lesson. My mate cancelled the night before due to the dismal surf forecast. Instructor messaged me to indicate he was keen to go ahead, so I decided to put some faith into him and turn up with either the hope that there would be enough surf or I could do just the surfskate and defer the surfing part another day.

The morning before the scheduled lesson my neighbour and I both went surfing in a messy waist high mix of building easterly swell and dying SW swell in a cross shore wind. A crossed up swell does not go well in the open ocean and it was hard to get rides of a reasonable length. We don't get much east swell due to the proximity of Tasmania and when we do it is short fetch/period. Dying East swell and dead SW swell with cleaned up wind conditions yielding 1' waves predicted for lesson date.

We got going with the surf skate component of the lesson and with me as the only student it was very intense and tiring. I was told to put more knee bend into the turns which increases the amount of exertion needed. Had all sorts of things corrected such as arm position and where I was looking plus a new and non-intuitive arm movement for cutbacks. The idea seems to be that kooky dry land surf skate movements translate to smooth surfing.

Prior to the surf skate the instructor had been scanning the ocean and asked me "what do you think?" It looked tiny, I said "is it short boardable?". He said "I think it is" and pointed out one sandbank where he said the left was running nicely. I wasn't convinced, the ocean was completely empty with one person suiting up and pulling a traditional single fin longboard out of his van. By the end of my surfskate the longboarder was back in the carpark, "very rare it gets this small" was the report. He had however spent close to an hour in there.

No one else in. Very clean conditions. I suppose the waves could be considered perfectly formed tiny little wedgy peak with tapering wall running the length of the sand bank with a trench in the middle splitting it into two sections. The second section even smaller, but steeper. Things went surprisingly well, all rideable waves lefts (backhand). I got past the trench on one wave and managed to get the over the shoulder look as I approached the top and then the correct off the top arm movement to wrench the board back down. Instructor said he could see spray coming off the top of my waves. "You just got milk out of a rock" he said. He is Brazilian, maybe it is a literally translated saying.

I was also able to get that non-intuitive cutback arm movement in on some waves, some half baked attempts because a full on cutback would have lost me the gutless wave. I got pushed very hard. Clean short period swell offering plenty of waves and I was repeatedly told "go for this one", "go for the next one after this one" ... Super stocked from yesterday and taking a rest today. My front quads have some soreness.

Some interesting points - looking towards the right target is a big part of my remedial tuition. On one wave I didn't see a section forming because I was looking down and got stuck behind, possibly other parts of my lesson were going through my head, I can't remember exactly. On another wave I came off the top and into a cutback and suffered from mental overload not knowing what arm position to use. I had also absorbed Snr Sopa's comment about bogging on a previous free surf and have been trying to get back some of that even footed board feel I used to have, but lost while struggling to apply the new technique. I suppose it must be coming back because I would not have been able to make the tiny waves with heavy footedness.

Surfing is far more technical than I ever imagined and I am shocked at after decades of surfing how little I understand about the movements needed to complete turns correctly. Hopefully future video I collect will show that the progress is real and not imagined.

teeroi

Miki Dora status
Oct 21, 2007
eastside oahu
So awesome @Mr J. Thanks for posting about this. I surf with a lot of rippers, pros, coaches, judges, former pros, and legends in their own mind types. If I ask they’ll give me tips on technique, but just watching how they approach/attack a section is very educational. Last week I was paddling back out after getting a good one and I saw Rico Jimenez get a nugget he bottom turned so deep his chin was almost dragging on the wave face. The speed and power he got out of that bottom turn was used in his top turn which was explosive throwing tons of spray. Spent the rest of the session and the next getting low on my fs bottom turns.

Surfed this past dawn patrol on my Moonfish. Waves were lully but when the sets came in there were lots of waves in them. Some good ones went unridden cause the whole lineup was paddling back out. Best wave let a bunch go and took off on a double up and squared up and went close to vert on the first top turn. Used the speed from that turn to get around a section that pitched in front of me and saw a nice crumble of coping and went straight up and felt the boar drift so I knew I blew fins over. Did a wrap then kicked out. One of the crew goes oh that was you?

Tried to do the two turn combo on the next nugget I got but was a little late on the second turn and air dropped the reo. Started to roll up the windows to keep my balance but just kept my arms up over my head. My friend John tells me I saw you made that, why’d you keep your arms up so long. Told him instead of rolling up the windows I was raising the roof. I wasn’t claiming. Haha.

CutnSnip

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2018
Probably dropping in on you, California
lumpy and a little bit onshore this a.m. in SLA. some shoulder + sets coming through - the wonkyness probably helped the shape a bit and there was some fun sections to bash around on but overall a pretty lackluster session which was cut short because of the crowd. Had the Flare - probably coulda used the GX to deal with some of the lumps and bumps a bit better. Trying to figure out where to go for tomorrows swell. SLA aint gonna be it.

teeroi

Miki Dora status
Oct 21, 2007
eastside oahu
Dawned the NS regular. It was a lot of work. North swell gets good out there but threadmill current taking you out to sea and deep. Couple feet overhead with the occasional wash thru. Rode the 6’0 M7 from Kerry. Been waiting for my 6’1 should be done any day. There were some double ups and deep ones but with all the water moving was hard being right under it. Was trying to get one in and ended up way outside. Whipped late on a bomb and fell right between the wave and the whitewater exploding. Forgot to yell YOLO. Haha. Glad my boar didn’t crease. Got some long ones and some wraps but kinda unfulfilling.

Tarab_ish

Legend (inyourownmind)
Nov 14, 2018
drove from the bay to ventura county yesterday. had planned to surf a reef on the way, but overslept my alarm and missed the tide window. surfed a sandbar wave that had some wind protection. pretty burly, the insiders were peeling but it was hard to sit there without being bulldozed by sets. almost undergunned on the step up 6.6". did like 10 turns on two and zero on a few others. nice to paddle around in size.

oh, btw. stopped at a protected, novelty, inside a harbor peeling wave. was maybe waist high and not really breaking yet. there were three waverunners milling around the area, I looked and they were doing step offs onto the tiny peelers. must've activated my inner teenage shithead because I wanted to scream "gaaaayyyyyyy!!!" at them seriously one of the lamest things i've ever seen surfing, I couldn't believe it

Last edited:

Mr J

Michael Peterson status
Aug 18, 2003
Regional Vic, Australia
So awesome @Mr J. Thanks for posting about this. I surf with a lot of rippers, pros, coaches, judges, former pros, and legends in their own mind types. If I ask they’ll give me tips on technique, but just watching how they approach/attack a section is very educational. Last week I was paddling back out after getting a good one and I saw Rico Jimenez get a nugget he bottom turned so deep his chin was almost dragging on the wave face. The speed and power he got out of that bottom turn was used in his top turn which was explosive throwing tons of spray. Spent the rest of the session and the next getting low on my fs bottom turns.
... .
Cheers @teeroi , where I grew up surfing was not a high calibre pro environment and before coaching was around even at local competition level. As with all places there are good surfers and it seems some were just naturals and the right body mechanics came without thinking. Some naturally good surfers couldn't explain to me how a movement was completed.

There must be a second category who do put some thought into it and are able to process and apply what they see.

Then there is the 3rd category who get exposure to correct technique (nowadays everyone does from the plentiful supply of social media), but it all goes over the top their head - that's me. I did know that I was unable to surf properly, but I didn't know why. Now that I have started on a personal coaching schedule the reason why some surfers look good and can complete proper turns is starting to become clearer, but I still have a long way to go.

I am on a full re-program the archer schedule now. Yesterday morning I arrived early at the open ocean beachbreak, onshore and messy, no one else tempted. Which is good for doing some of the movement rehearsal before entering the water without feeling self conscious (not that would stop me). Some dry sand pop ups with the new technique and then on to some of the arm/body rotation movements where my mind entered a mental block. Then it came back to me and I went through the motions. Same procedure in the arvo. I am still getting some moments of confusion when on the wave, but I do believe it is yielding some results.

bluengreen

Michael Peterson status
Oct 22, 2018
SF x Encinitas
Surfed a highly localized spot this evening. 20 guys packed tight against an outcropping of rock. Sat slightly inside and on the shoulder hoping to pick up scraps or grab one of the occasional wide-swinging set waves. I usually get 2 or 3 at this spot, but the swell had dropped considerably since the morning and there were not even close to enough waves to go around. Got jack sh!t. Some dufus in a camo Buell wetsuit and one of those hoods that attach with a chin strap paddled straight into the pack and got verbally fucked up. Took 10 minutes of abuse before he actually repositioned himself. :foreheadslap:

doc_flavonoid

Michael Peterson status
Dec 27, 2019
Surfed a highly localized spot this evening. 20 guys packed tight against an outcropping of rock. Sat slightly inside and on the shoulder hoping to pick up scraps or grab one of the occasional wide-swinging set waves. I usually get 2 or 3 at this spot, but the swell had dropped considerably since the morning and there were not even close to enough waves to go around. Got jack sh!t. Some dufus in a camo Buell wetsuit and one of those hoods that attach with a chin strap paddled straight into the pack and got verbally fucked up. Took 10 minutes of abuse before he actually repositioned himself. :foreheadslap:
thats a lot of locals. always trips me out when guys paddle out into that. too many heads. not enough waves. why add to the fuckery?

surfed a localized reef with 3 others couple days ago. had it on lockdown. every wave spoken for. of course that didnt stop 6 clowns from paddling out expecting what? a break in the rotation?

better to sit and wait for someone to get out or better yet just go away than buoy in the channel with puppy dog eyes

Last edited:

Woke AF

Tom Curren status
Jul 29, 2009
Southern Tip, Norcal
so you're saying the camo didn't really work :shrug:

Senor Sopa

Billy Hamilton status
Mar 11, 2015
Ponto
Went down to the Machado zone yesterday, biggest waves in a while, I gues you could call it opening day. I have not been going here, so I have to work my back into status. Anyways, I know this reef well, but +/- 5 feet and you are out of position. LOL, I was out of position! Souyth wind cam up and I was over. That didn't stop the kids though. Total shred show, I feel sucky.

Git my best wipeout in a while. Rail grab, rails and fins never engaged. Get to bottom, tail slides out, and over I go. Skip on the face, sucked up and over, then sent deep. Thankfully i didn't land on the boar. Slight drainage afterwarrds.

Chatting the lot, dude tells me about a certain San Diego jetty and how localized it is, not SMJ, the other side. The story was bascially paddle out, get sent in under 5 minutes. Is this true? Never been there, I had no idea.