***Official 2021 Community Surf Journal***

Tarab_ish

Legend (inyourownmind)
Nov 14, 2018
Brief session at The Beach on Sunday. first dose of NW, felt good to just be out there paddling around but pretty bad and dumpy and chopped up. Trying to get some paddling reps in.
Monday surfed a weird reef/point thing that's a named spot, an obvious setup, everyone always looks at when they drive by, it but it basically isn't a surf spot. I've paddled out there a half dozen times and this was the first time it was almost working. Just a few pumps down the line but still pretty cool.
Tuesday couldn't surf.

Today... Well, believe me on this or don't.

Went to a place that's a bit of a drive and then a bit of a walk. Random rock reef right that's pretty B-grade but can get kinda fun. There were four people out at the next spot down the road but no one out here. Didn't look at it long enough, paddle out. It's just not working--slightly the wrong direction means it isn't wrapping onto the part of the reef that sticks out, it's mostly closeouts in front of it. I'm about to go in. I'm outside, and lying on my board rather than sitting up.

Something bumps the middle of the bottom of my board *hard* and at the same time something pushes up against my right arm. I involuntarily put both my arms up out of the water. I completely freeze for maybe two seconds, long enough to say "oh fuck, oh fuck." Either my consciousness shorts out or I just was too physically frozen to actually really look down. There's something big in the water on the whole right side of my peripheral vision but I don't actually look down at it, I apparently couldn't. Nothing else happens after the bump and after the two seconds I start paddling. Whatever was in the water on my right either receded or moved left under my board and out of my vision I guess. I have a weird involuntary shivering in my core that I've genuinely never felt before. I paddle in (of course there isn't a set) and nothing else happens.

About 8 years ago I saw a very small shark cruise in front of me down in SLO county. It changed direction alway from me really fast, which was the only way I was sure it wasn't a sea lion -- it did the quick horizontal directional change thing like a fish with vertical fins. That incident was 10 years into surfing, and I've never otherwise seen a shark and rarely think about them. But I had *major* heebee-jeebies while out today, which was why I was floating on my stomach rather than having my feet dangle.

I dunno, I wouldn't blame anyone for thinking either that I was mistaken or am making this up. But what apparently happened -- a shark swam up and gave a curious bump, then kept swimming under me once it decided I was made of fiberglass -- is pretty common too I guess. Freaks me out that I was alone, and had a decent walk back to the car if it had given an exploratory bite. I think I'll avoid that for a little bit.

Last edited:

Havoc

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
May 23, 2016
in da hood next to paradise
Brief session at The Beach on Sunday. first dose of NW, felt good to just be out there paddling around but pretty bad and dumpy and chopped up. Trying to get some paddling reps in.
Monday surfed a weird reef/point thing that's a named spot, an obvious setup, everyone always looks at when they drive by, it but it basically isn't a surf spot. I've paddled out there a half dozen times and this was the first time it was almost working. Just a few pumps down the line but still pretty cool.
Tuesday couldn't surf.

Today... Well, believe me on this or don't.

Went to a place that's a bit of a drive and then a bit of a walk. Random rock reef right that's pretty B-grade but can get kinda fun. There were four people out at the next spot down the road but no one out here. Didn't look at it long enough, paddle out. It's just not working--slightly the wrong direction means it isn't wrapping onto the part of the reef that sticks out, it's mostly closeouts in front of it. I'm about to go in. I'm outside, and lying on my board rather than sitting up.

Something bumps the middle of the bottom of my board *hard* and at the same time something pushes up against my right arm. I involuntarily put both my arms up out of the water. I completely freeze for maybe two seconds, long enough to say "oh fook, oh fook." Either my consciousness shorts out or I just was too physically frozen to actually really look down. There's something big in the water on the whole right side of my peripheral vision but I don't actually look down at it, I apparently couldn't. Nothing else happens after the bump and after the two seconds I start paddling. Whatever was in the water on my right either receded or moved left under my board and out of my vision I guess. I have a weird involuntary shivering in my core that I've genuinely never felt before. I paddle in (of course there isn't a set) and nothing else happens.

About 8 years ago I saw a very small shark cruise in front of me down in SLO county. It changed direction alway from me really fast, which was the only way I was sure it wasn't a sea lion -- it did the quick horizontal directional change thing like a fish with vertical fins. That incident was 10 years into surfing, and I've never otherwise seen a shark and rarely think about them. But I had *major* heebee-jeebies while out today, which was why I was floating on my stomach rather than having my feet dangle.

I dunno, I wouldn't blame anyone for thinking either that I was mistaken or am making this up. But what apparently happened -- a shark swam up and gave a curious bump, then kept swimming under me once it decided I was made of fiberglass -- is pretty common too I guess. Freaks me out that I was alone, and had a decent walk back to the car if it had given an exploratory bite. I think I'll avoid that for a little bit.
salmon shark.

I’ve been chased out of the water by 8-10 ft GWS on several occasions. Worst one was 8 footer swimming in the face of a wave right at me, stuff of fkn nightmares.

Tarab_ish

Legend (inyourownmind)
Nov 14, 2018
salmon shark.
hope so! gonna read more about it. what I saw in my peripheral vision was definitely larger than a sea lion but maybe not *that* big, and the whole silhouette was darkly colored. apparently they're the bump into you and not just give an exploratory bite guys, so that would makes sense

Reactions: Havoc

Sam_K

Legend (inyourownmind)
Dec 11, 2019
Went to Ulu a few days ago and it was double overhead. I surfed the peak. Caught a few disappointments and one great ride but the tide was dropping fast. On these large tides, where it goes from 8ft+ to 1ft, the waves change fast. It's all fine and then you zone out for fifteen minutes and by the time you refocus it's all gone to hell. Sets coming in sketchy, breaking fast and ugly. Highly non-ideal.

I kept at it, the 'ol college try, and for my effort I got chucked from the lip. Skipping down the face of a nice DOH Ulu funsicle, crashing, deep down underwater, etc. By the time I extricated myself to the lineup, after another four or five on the head, I felt detached from my surroundings. My ears had that sensation you get when you dive deep, like you need to equalize? But equalizing didn't do anything. I couldn't hear very well as though the world was muffled. Has anyone ever had that? It lasted (to some degree) for hours afterwards. Freaky. Although I might have also had a bit of a cold.

For anyone thinking about Indo and the closed borders, let me tell you. It has been fun, yes, no doubt. But also this was a fucking shite swell season. One for the record books. Most of the swells we had were lower intervals, they lasted for one day and gone, and the rule was disappointment not the drop of the jaw. You can take some comfort knowing you were voluntold to miss a highly forgettable trudge of swell.

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
I’ve started just dropping in on anyone with a bright white slightly oversized hpsb assuming they’re an adult learner graduating from their mid and believing surflies 3-5‘ forecast.
Well, I drove by the main reef mid-morning yesterday and it was pumping, HH-OH sets rights and lefts. But I’m sure that was the biggest spot around here and I heard from a few buddies that I really missed it. Unfortunately my two kids are home sick from nursery school this week so I’ve been rearranging all my work to be home on daddy duty. I’ve missed the whole swell so far.

santacruzin

Kelly Slater status
Oct 17, 2007
valley purgatory
I am over surfing in california. homeschooled super grom backpaddled me and I had been patiently waiting. Sooo I pulled his leash and sent him over the falls :roflmao:. He was pissed and all his little friends were pissed. Whatever little sh!t deserved it , really good wave too , maybe the best one I got.

If you have groms please start teaching them etiquette so others don’t have too.

Duke status
Feb 20, 2003
end of swell day. buncha waves to duckdive in the dark, got 2 ok ones b4 the sets stopped breaking alltogether as tide rose and dorks kept showing up
went to the inside, got a few crap waves and headed home
surfline is currently claiming its good here

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
Missed the fun swell with my kids home sick from nursery school all week. Finally got out of the house today for a couple hours to check on two jobsites. Had just enough time to check the surf on the way home. Reef #3 was small but empty so paddled out the Plasmic, just to get wet and enjoy some sun. I managed 3 short lefts with backhand wraps and floaters and 1 right with a nice fs reo on the inside. New Muchacho twins felt lively.
18 min of water time. LOL. I needed that. :shaka:

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
small and closed out at my secret south wind spot. convinced myself it was cleaner and bigger than it actually was and went for a paddle on the gbx. it pretty much sucked. i don't even think i got a turn. a couple pumps down the line and that's about it. still better than nothing, i guess. despite the lackluster session i'm not completely bummed on the sand bars. hopefully with a real swell it will do what it did last year.

teeroi

Miki Dora status
Oct 21, 2007
eastside oahu
This last swell was overhyped. Taz swell so it would show on the buoys but long lulls and bigger crowds.

Did manage a few nuggets. We pulled off one job to work on another that gave us more a flexible schedule so I got to stay out longer trying to get a few sets.

This morning seemed like the end of it but there’s still some action.

Paddled for a long shot that split in half. I was up and riding when I saw Gregg push Jeannie into the section ahead of me. He usually gently pushes her in but he looked right at me and shoved her in so she couldn’t pull back. I yelled you Fakas and pumped to catch up to her. Jeannie and the whole lineup was cracking up. I caught up to her and wanted her to keep going but she was laughing too hard to try. As I paddled back out I yelled at Gregg don’t use Jeannie as a prop to irritate me. I sat under Gregg and waited for the next set he didn’t even try to paddle battle me for it cause he knew I was going no matter what. Haha.

Oh yeah. Next January Jeannie is being inducted to the East Coast Surfing Hall of Fame in Orlando. She’s going in as a legend. That she is.