***Official 2021 Community Surf Journal***

MathDebater

Michael Peterson status
Apr 13, 2016
SD
Wasn't going to go this morning because of the wind but my ol' surf buddy from my surf flop house days seems to have the bug lately so I can't say no. Hit the beach to avoid the crowds. The tide was too low at first but it started to open up by the end but didn't really get anything I'd normally consider a wave. Still good to see my friend getting out again, I loaned him my old Banjo and you can tell it's a game changer for him. It's his first time riding any sort of "modern" fish with updated foils and non-double foil keels.

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
missed the morning window. midday high tide with the slightest onshore breeze. checked the main reef but 30 guys... and another 20 at reef#2- no thanks. Hit up a lesser-known ledgy summer reef for some waist-chest high grinders. 3 other guys + a bodyboarder out. I sat inside and tried to pick up the short reform right in the middle of the little bay/inlet. Rode the 5'10 El Tomo fish XTR SL-C with Rasta quads. Got a few airdrops, couple fs slashes. The ones that lined up too far across, you had to kick out suddenly before you ran into the rock shelf. Got pitched on a couple late drops. Pulled in for the briefest chandelier vision on a couple... got worked. I don't surf this spot often anymore and forgot how much of a punch it packs when it breaks. Pummeled a couple times underwater, think I took my fin in my back at one point and came up with the leash wrapped around my torso and shoulder.
A couple guys out the back on Evos were having good luck with the outside left, but I only had 30 min so stayed inside. I swear one of the evos looked like my old xtr stringerless with the blue stripe but the guys were both wearing strapped on hats and solidly average surfers, so I didn't engage. LOL. But in hindsight, a shorter (like 5'6) tkf or tomo probably would've navigated the ledgy waves today a bit easier than the 5'10.
Ended up being a sunny afternoon so was nice to get out in the water for a quick one. TGIF
Saltwater's been pouring out my nose since I got home, so not the most covert op, but the wife hasn't asked if I went surfing, yet.

CutnSnip

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2018
Probably dropping in on you, California
some fun ones this a.m. in NOC. chest high sets, consistent and fun. decent crowd but plnety of waves to go round. wind was having a personality disorder but lots of running lefts with fun little sections to bounce off. Flare delivers again, but i think it may be time for a refresh already. water felt warm af too. 3/2 time baby!

MathDebater

Michael Peterson status
Apr 13, 2016
SD
Got out with the same buddy again. Decided to hit some less well known summer reefs. light Crowd but unintentionally hilarious. when it’s good this spot can be kind of localized but today was kook zone with only a handful of people who knew what they were doing. Two dudes in matching long Johns paddled out on a mini Log and what looked like a MOTE mid twin thing. Both borderline or actually out of control but talking about board design and taking any set that came near them. Then my buddy was surfing the south peak by himself and three duuus paddling way back on their boards paddled out and surrounded him. They party waved every wave and were inconsistent on making pop ups, my buddy was obviously stoked. Then Some hip duu paddled straight out to me on the peak and took the first set the came on one of those Werner foam alia, went over the falls and lost his board. I had fun though, soft but occasional Good sections.

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
I prefer it when someone shows their level right off the bat. I will always give someone inside of me the benefit of the doubt the first time. but if they miss the wave, or don’t make the drop/section, or kook out... I have zero qualms to drop in after that if they’re not taking turns. Can just say “oh sorry, I didn’t think you were gonna make it again”

Last edited:

silentbutdeadly

Duke status
Sep 26, 2005
Tower 13
junky windswell this morning on a crappy bar. Made the best of it with a few turns on the gx, big boy gx requires more input to shred (duh it's bigger) but it feels more stable and very well balanced.

Had a nice arc to downward tail drift but didn't recover. Gave me a nice feel for it frontside.

Tarab_ish

Legend (inyourownmind)
Nov 14, 2018
drove down from the bay to ventura county for the week yesterday afternoon, just enough traffic to be annoying the whole way and the wind was up everywhere I checked. ended up surfing the pismo pier. few little thigh S sets and a distinct little sandbar peak. not good at all but just nice to get in the water.

b.r.

Phil Edwards status
Dec 19, 2003
Leucadia
www.youtube.com
been really nice weather and the water had been warming up, but apparently my decision to wear the old 2mil short sleeve was NOT the call today after last nights wind, must have been a lot of upwelling, it felt pretty cold, surfed for an hour and a half and got some fun waves despite being kind of cold the whole time.

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
been really nice weather and the water had been warming up, but apparently my decision to wear the old 2mil short sleeve was NOT the call today after last nights wind, must have been a lot of upwelling, it felt pretty cold, surfed for an hour and a half and got some fun waves despite being kind of cold the whole time.
Sounds like someone’s identified a gap in their wetsuit quiver! LOL
Never knew I needed on before, but as of 2 weeks ago, I’m now 2mil fullsuit fo life! YMMV

Oceanslide

Kelly Slater status
Mar 5, 2008
Oceanside, CA
Surfed the past days on Fresno’s old WTF, which was loaned to me by the lurker that bought it off of here. Fun board and got a handful of pretty fun waves on it yesterday that got a few compliments from some regulars, but also some kook moments. Yesterday got stupid crowded, so I kept moving to find a tiny zone where 3 people weren’t dropping in, and did ok. Today I was by myself for about 15 min and, although there were some waves, they avoided me. Most wouldn’t break at all, and then a bigger set wave would jack and huck outside. Mostly frustrating, but got a few. It was crazy cold! Felt colder than any winter water this year and every person said they were freezing...local wind upwelling from yesterday I guess.

Tomay

OTF status
Feb 2, 2010
Autumn is well and truly here. Water is still warm but the sun isn't blisteringly hot. Had a few days off offshores into the mid afternoon as well. A few weeks ago I picked up a second hand Jim Banks Keel Fish in great condition for a really good price. I wasn't looking to buy another board but couldn't go past this one.

Took it out for a few grovely days at the local on a left hand rip bowl thats been working. Had some nice moments, plenty of speed and drive for swooping cutbacks. Over the last few days I've gone on a bit of a search and found a good bank with shoulder high / head high runners at a bit of a quiet spot. Nice easy take offs, a bit of a walled up section then it races away toward the shore with plenty of speed. It's been an absolute blast. Loving the different feeling of a keel fish, never really ridden a keel before. Loves to take a high line and then drop down with plenty of speed for a bit of a bottom turn and carve off the top. Surprisingly it has also been good lining up little barrels in the shorey, i've made a few I shouldn't have.