***Official 2021 Community Surf Journal***

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
late evening post-work quickie at the protected spot. grey skies over a dark sea. crispy off shores.

it started dumping hail right as I began pulling my suit on. thank goodness for my poncho! I probably should have ridden something fishy but I've been trying to ride the 6-3 SMTH as much as possible. unsurprisingly the thruster felt fairly uninspiring on the mushy runners but I got a few that bowled up and allowed for some gutback action and even a few snaps.

a full rainbow settled over town and later, as the sky opened, the towering clouds were tinged in sunset pink. not a bad evening.

Brsnstein

OTF status
Jul 28, 2018
SoCal
Ditto on the wonk, but there were some decentish ones to be had. Started on the gx with the new coffin fins on the tide push and they went ok. Not really the waves or board I had in mind for them because, but I wanted to feel them out. I think they’ll go great for me in boards with a little more rocker.

Switched to the tkf for the second hour and got a couple fun rights that could have been better except I had to kick on the inside to avoid maiming yahoos dicking around in the shore break

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
evening sesh on a left corner at the south end of my local. looked like some solid sets so I took my old 6'6" Stamps Next Step. i haven't ridden this board forever but it used to be a favorite when I was 15 lbs. lighter. first few waves were kinda tweeners and the board felt like overkill. finally got a good set wave and blew my first turn. whoops. next one went better. then a nice one came right to me and I surfed it pretty well. felt like I got into groove with the board after that. it pumped for like twenty mins and then the tide turned or something and it started getting weird. overall a decent session. i need to ride this board again.

Senor Sopa

Billy Hamilton status
Mar 11, 2015
Ponto
Late aftenoon, minus tide session at the Reef. Two handfuls out, pack of 13 year olds and some soft toppers. Due to shorter period swell, lots of HH+ waves breaking just outside the reef. I paddled out up the middle, just cuz I could, what a disaster. Endless 2 foot whitewaters. Finally make it out, first 20 seconds, one of the kids does a full on paddle hustle hassle around for a crappy one. "Hmm, I guess it's game on." Anyways, they all backed down and properly respected elderliness after I then caught the next handful of sets while they were all caught way out of position. LOL, they were even hooting my late drops. It dawned on me that surfing with the kids was more fun than surfing with the usual barnival crew. Last wave was the best, one of the few that had an swell underneath the wonk. Caught it perfectly on the easy in jack, only wave that really allowed a real bottom turn, put 8 feet of board above the lip, drive the next session, stay high which set up for extended roundhouse, got stuck in foam for a bit, worked it over for the next part. I'm going in so big fade to make it to the inside, omg, it's gonna bowl without a death crunch, got the short cover and then even a boinker off the knee high foam at the end.

Funny chit, making mom with softtops stew, hoping I'm going to leave. Multiple groups of 20 peeps having bbq parties on the beach.

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
More lines on the fish. Small slow but still fun.

Unfortunatel, kook just sitting deer in headlights on the shoulder messed up my last wave. His comment after my stink eye “sorry, I was trying to stay out of your way” - then paddle for the white water, dummy.

b.r.

Phil Edwards status
Dec 19, 2003
Leucadia
www.youtube.com
early afternoon yesterday had a surprising mid day pulse and i paddled out into a perfect right that just went under the guys outside and i hopped up and board went straight and my body bottom turned splat, hadn't done that in forever. next wave board felt so weird going down the line i was sure a fin fell out, flipped it over when I was back outside 1,2,3,4 still there. must have been old body just worked from surfing all week then working in the yard for 4 hours before surfing . sat outside and regrouped, bigger set the guys just past me way too late, so I spin, alas I was too late too but tried to pull back, oh noooooooo sucked over on my belly with that awkward feeling of wondering when is the good time to get away from your board and not get a fin sandwich, made it back out and told the 4 guys on the peak they should just go in and watch me surf because I was on a roll. younger ripper i've surfed with since he was a kid asked if i got my board from Stu for my birthday yet and I said no he has 2 more days and it isn't looking good, then a perfect wave of the session popped up right after we came over the first wave and he goes birthday wave, i was in the slot perfect late drop dragged out the bottom turn then leaned into it, feet in right place for the first time this session and it was off to the races, my wave of the day and all the previous humiliation was forgotten, i was a good surfer the rest of the day, got out after 3 hours and my feet felt like wooden pegs walking over the cobbles on the way home, jacuzzi and a cold one to end the day. Edit: almost forgot the best part, a grey whale surfaced 25 feet outside of us after I caught my best wave, was so close I could see the barnacles. rad.

Last edited:

trifish

Billy Hamilton status
Sep 23, 2009
Shred City
Been taking out Akila's Contemp Fish. Man that board might be my all time favorite now. Heavy claims. Its been that good for me and the most fun i can remember on a board in a long time. Stuck a small NVS trailer on it today with the Aipa's and it had more stability with still ludacris speed. Had some nice hits in the pocket on some reeling waves. A couple of different peeps paddled up during the session to ask what I was riding. Definitely worth the wait.

Havoc

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
May 23, 2016
in da hood next to paradise
Must be the moon. Never seen more complete morons in the lineup at the same time
been like this all year brah. i stopped surging end of nov bc of the obscene crowds. didn't feel safe having 7 wavestormers huffing and puffing right in my face fighting me for a crappy wave

• Sad
Reactions: Aruka

MathDebater

Michael Peterson status
Apr 13, 2016
SD
Took the banjo out at a high tide reform on Saturday morning. It actually had good shape but I was kooking it up big time. I think my workout friday did a number on me. Went over the falls twice, eventually gave up on turns and just high lined and enjoyed the ride. That made things better. Got out and headed to pick up some paint. Halfway through carrying it out to my truck I felt a pop in my upper back and lost all mobility in my upper spine. Struggled to carry the paint the rest of the way to the truck and today I’m just chillin on the couch. I think I may have over done my workout then one of my goofy falls did me in. chiro tomorrow for some with doctor magic.